Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone old enough to have watched tyson vs mcneeley? do you remember this?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was one of the highest grossing boxing gates of all time. Bob Arum will never be on the level of Don King as far as ripping off and exploiting the boxing public.

Comment

Originally posted by willybullet View Post
      Same here, I vaugely remember seeing him get dropped, the old timers talking about how bad it was, and the pizza commercial later. The guy took a real shot at it as far as I can see. Maybe his corner told him they'd jump in to save him beforehand. It was a spirited effort nonetheless.
      I thought this fight was a joke when i watched it as a kid too but man McNeely actually looked like HE was trying to knockout mike in a few exchanges there.

Comment

Peter McNeely made more effort to win than David Haye did against Klitschko.

Comment

time 4 sum aksion!

it's how you comeback.

Comment

Originally posted by EdMon917 View Post
            There were more fights. Apparently he wasn't the main event.

http://boxrec.com/show_display.php?show_id=6643
            Tyson McNeeley was the main event, boxrec doesn't always list the main event first.

Most of us knew what to expect. All the magazines and tv talk was about how McNeeley had a padded record and how he was just a tuneup for the returning Tyson. We got what we paid for, a chance to see "the return of Tyson" even if McNeeley was a joke. It wasn't like Don King was going to risk his money horse on a meaningful challenge. Tyson's next two opponents Buster Mathis Jr and Botha nearly gave King a nervous breakdown when he watched Tyson go against them.
            Last edited by TBear; 06-16-2012, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Had to pay to watch it in a cinema. Exciting times. But talk about a hype job. Tyson post prison was the biggest hype job ever.

Comment

Originally posted by The Noose View Post
                Had to pay to watch it in a cinema. Exciting times. But talk about a hype job. Tyson post prison was the biggest hype job ever.
                absolutely! tyson is an ATG but you are right his post prison career was a huge hype job. people thought he would kill holyfield but if you look at it he was nowhere near ready for holyfield at that point. going into holyfield tyson fought mathis jr, mcneely, seldon(phantom punch), bruno. bruno was the best guy but he was semi retired & wanted to cash out. at the time tyson was in jail & fighting his comeback fights holyfield fought bowe 3 times, moorer, mercer, czyz...i'd say holyfield was alot more prepared for tyson then tyson was prepared for holyfield.

Comment

Bruce Seldon was worse, at least mcneeley got hit before he went down.

Comment

The 2nd knockdown was a left hook that Tyson landed on Seldon. Cant complain about that one but the body language of Bruce just showed he wanted out of there. 1st KD shouldnt have put an athlete on the floor as the punch missed. He also wanted tehr ef to stop it cuz when he got up he shook his head and did a Judah dance.

Bruno could absorb a better punch but he was so slow it was painful. He almost got D.q'd for holding. Mathis had a gameplan of sticking close to Mike but when he was caught he was out of it. Mcneelys tactics was throw it all at Mike then get rescued by his corner when that failed.

Tyson basically had no prep for Holyfield but King didnt think hed need to cuz the Bowe and Chyz fights indicated that Evander was done. They also thought Tyson was back to his best.

Comment

you cant possibly imagine how big the fight was where i was living/growing up at the time

i was young

my father's friends all showed up for a ppv, and lots of them bet a good amount of money (15-40 bucks mostly ) on mcneeley on crazy odds.

they thought they were actualy going to win money betting on mcneeley.

it was the biggest fight locally that i've ever observed. billboards, regional TV spots on with mcneeley features, etc.
                      it was all over the radio
                      and all over the TV

and we all know what happened...

Comment

Working...
                      X