Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$55 dollar annual fee and copy of birth certificate just to spar?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pony Boy View Post
    That's only for professionals. Some states now require you to have a valid professional boxers license in order to spar or train with other professionals. This is not the same for amateurs. For amateurs you usually sign a waiver with the gyms.
    Yes, but if a gym would like to have all their boxers insured, that's their prerogative. If you were running a business, wouldn't you prefer that all of your clients had an ability to get some kind of medical coverage if they got injured at your place of business. Imagine how it reflects on the club if people can get injured there and have no way of receiving medical treatment because they can't afford to go to the doctors. The insurance provided by USA Boxing isn't great because of the high deductible, but at least it's something. Plus $55 for a year is nothing, even if you're on minimum wage.

Comment

Originally posted by rmz View Post
      Yes, but if a gym would like to have all their boxers insured, that's their prerogative. If you were running a business, wouldn't you prefer that all of your clients had an ability to get some kind of medical coverage if they got injured at your place of business. Imagine how it reflects on the club if people can get injured there and have no way of receiving medical treatment because they can't afford to go to the doctors. The insurance provided by USA Boxing isn't great because of the high deductible, but at least it's something. Plus $55 for a year is nothing, even if you're on minimum wage.
      It doesn't make sense to buy a fight book if your not going to be competing. Besides all gyms are required is a waiver. Boxing is not for wimps and gyms are not in the health insurance business!

Comment

Originally posted by chris5 View Post
        WTF is this about it...is this at every gym???
        Of course it is.

Comment

smells like **** to me i had to pay to get carded if i wanted to compete but never was i asked to pay to spar O.o

Comment

i'm getting mixed reviews. i'm gonna just get it so i can start sparring once i get my head shots taken, in case my face gets messed up. plus you all said i can start boxing amateur w/ that too so it's gonna be needed down the line anyways.

Comment

yo there trying hustle u. dont give in cause if u do they know u a easy mark to get shyt out of, stand your ground. they do that at the gym i go to to test people out

Comment

Its simply an insurance package with whatever organization is currently running amatuer boxing now. Years ago it was the AAU then the USA then the USA/ABF so theres nothing unusual about the request. There were gyms years ago that didn't allow amatuers those gyms had monthly dues and members did sign waviers. Either way 55.00 a year is extremely cheap to use a gym. In my gym if you were a non competitive boxer the fee was 50.00 a month and if you could be an asset in the sparring session I'd work with you on the fee. Personally anyone over 22 yrs old who isn't an active pro was just taking up room. I did offer different days and times for them to come because they helped fund the overhead of the gym and ALL my pros donated a percentage of their purses back to my amatuer program. A boxing gym needs to have a brotherhood within, we are a team and until your individual bout comes we stand together. The gym is still active today and run by one of the young men who was a member of the gyms amatuer team back in the early 80s. Ray.

Comment

i still pay my $60 a month membership fee...

Comment

yea thats with every gym ive gone to.thats for your ametuer license

Comment

Originally posted by Pony Boy View Post
                      It doesn't make sense to buy a fight book if your not going to be competing. Besides all gyms are required is a waiver. Boxing is not for wimps and gyms are not in the health insurance business!
                      Yes, but did you read my post? A waiver may protect them from being sued, but it doesn't reflect well on their business when someone gets injured there and they cannot come up with the funds to get treatment. You're not using your brain. Ronnie Shields runs a business and he has a reputation to protect. At the gym I compete at, all boxers sign a waiver. But everyone who trains and spars is required to get licensed as an amateur. Why? Because the gym does not want its members to not be able to receive medical treatment if they are injured. That's held over the gyms head, waiver or no waiver. Stop talking out of your ass and use some common sense.

Comment

Working...
                      X