No announcement yet.

just heard dean powell has died

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mconstantine View Post
    Don't understand how anyone in boxing would want to kill them self within 4 days of such a big fight.

R.I.P.
    Maybe, just maybe, there is more to life, and more important things, than boxing. Just saying...

Comment

Sad news, everyone's saying it's suicide. I hope not.

Comment

Terrible news. He has worked the corner for many of Britain's top fighters at one time or another. Used to really enjoy his interviews.

I know people want to know what happened, but It's not good to speculate. It will come out in time.

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Bodyshot3 View Post
          Rubbish few days for boxing with Dean Powell and Morrison both leaving us way too soon and in sad, sad circumstances. We're losing way too many blokes at the moment.

This comes after the suicides of the Smith brothers and Darren Sutherland, as well as Frank Bruno's well-documented problems.

I don't want to rant at this moment....but I want to see people like the British Board of Control take a long, hard look at what they might be able to do and offer some kind of counselling and support network for fighters and trainers (both past and present) and see how it could be funded.

There should be benefits to holding a Board of Control licence that extends beyond an opportunity to fight, manage and train. Robert Smith and his team could be forging partnerships with big, well-funded and expert charities like MIND and even the NHS.

It really does not need to be expensive or elaborate - just a recognition that a problem exists and the ability to deliver quick, early access to expert advice with the Board of Control acting as a trusted, first point of contact and referer.

I tried clicking on the Professional Boxing Association website to see if it was up and running - it was a great idea by the always enlightened McGuigan who recognised the need to offer education, advice etc - but it seems to have fallen by the wayside.
          Great post. I love this sport but it's so heartbreaking at times, and not always in a good way.

RIP.

Comment

Working...
          X