No announcement yet.

Amatuer World Championships: How times have changed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
    That was also a replay. I caught some of the action live, and it was good enough to stay up way late. It was really well paced, no dicking around. That fcuker Russo just about put me to sleep, but it was worth staying awake for the Super HW KO lmao. The winner is apparently Mago's cousin and looks like a much improved version of him.

I didn't think the rule changes made that much difference. Not that many KDs with evenly matched dudes, and then same guys that were knocking guys down with headgear. I think there were more walkovers due to cuts, which is unfortunate. Also, the 10 point must scoring did nothing to weed out corruption. It's even less transparent, though it's better on principle since damage counts.
    The commentators were saying that the IOC are not happy with the no head gear rule. Too many fighters getting cut and not able to fight their next fight. Possibly head gear will be reintroduced because in a tournament format you cant be having winners not be able to continue the next bout because of cuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapid Counter View Post
      The commentators were saying that the IOC are not happy with the no head gear rule. Too many fighters getting cut and not able to fight their next fight. Possibly head gear will be reintroduced because in a tournament format you cant be having winners not be able to continue the next bout because of cuts.
      IMO that's fine, but keep the 10 pt must system even though you sometimes get crazier scores this way. At least powerpunching gets rewarded in theory, but not really in practice. They apparently don't give out 10-8 with KDs, and some close rounds without KDs got 10-8s.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
        IMO that's fine, but keep the 10 pt must system even though you sometimes get crazier scores this way. At least powerpunching gets rewarded in theory, but not really in practice. They apparently don't give out 10-8 with KDs, and some close rounds without KDs got 10-8s.
        Yeah apparently kd's are not scored at all. As for the scores i dont know whats best the crappy compu box style system or corrupt judging. I think if they keep it the way it is now you will get a lot of fighters just turning pro earlier. If you are gonna get hit in the face with 10oz gloves and no head gear, you might as well get paid for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapid Counter View Post
          Yeah apparently kd's are not scored at all. As for the scores i dont know whats best the crappy compu box style system or corrupt judging. I think if they keep it the way it is now you will get a lot of fighters just turning pro earlier. If you are gonna get hit in the face with 10oz gloves and no head gear, you might as well get paid for it.
          A lot of pros make very little money. There's world champs with multiple defenses that haven't made 1m career wise. Some of these Kazakh etc medalists probably make good money as amateurs, and would have a hard time linking up with top promoters in the pros. It's changing a bit with these guys getting more US TV play, still risky. Kovalev was apparently living in poverty till this year, and kinda lucked out with Main Events.

Comment

I thought Selby was a little unlucky not to get the nod in his semi-final.
            Shame Fowler had to pull out with injury also. He had good wins in Mytrofanov and Hartel.

Comment

Originally posted by chrismart83 View Post
              I thought Selby was a little unlucky not to get the nod in his semi-final.
              Shame Fowler had to pull out with injury also. He had good wins in Mytrofanov and Hartel.
              Just finished watching all of the finals fights, really impressed with Zhakypov, Estrada and Alimkhanuly.

There were a lot more very good boxers but those three stood out for me in the finals

Comment

Working...
              X