No announcement yet.

1982 Gerry Cooney vs 1997 Lennox Lewis

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bolo Punch View Post
    Cooney of the Holmes fight vs peak 97 trained Lewis.

???
    ???
    ???
    The overrated and overhyped Cooney lasts about 30 seconds less than Golota did against Lennox. An extreme mismatch

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
      I would favor Lewis by late stoppage. That being said, if Cooney lands the left hook cleanly at anytime it could easily turn into Cooney by KO.

Poet
      Co-sign sir

Comment

Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
        The overrated and overhyped Cooney lasts about 30 seconds less than Golota did against Lennox. An extreme mismatch
        Yet Cooney managed to go 13rds with a prime Larry Holmes.. talk about a ridiculous post!

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
          Yet Cooney managed to go 13rds with a prime Larry Holmes.. talk about a ridiculous post!
          And Holmes was a better fighter than Lennox.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
            I know, Sonny. It was hyperbole on my part. I always thought Holmes was a bit tentative in that fight. But he did a masterful job despite the several low blows. Still think Lennox beats Cooney, as Cooney would have drowned in the late rounds. Plus, Lewis was knocked out by right hands and Cooney's big punch was the left hook.

Comment

cooney chops lewis down within 2 rounds,lennox would be an easy target for the hard punching cooney and would not be able to wither the constant left hooks to the body and finally to the jaw,

Comment

Spinks , Holmes and Cooney fought like shit. Lewis was always suspect to get hurt , but nothing unusual about it , just not one of the best chins.
                Larry Holmes was vulnerable too , and he knew it , which is why he fought as bad as he did , and this is after watching all of their fights against another , and then a little more from each one of them , I was never impressed by neither one of them.
                And back to Cooney , he was stopped in his biggest 3 fights , won because of cuts against Jimmy Young , and hit Norton while he was down , which even takes from his biggest wins.

Comment

Originally posted by mrboxer View Post
                  cooney chops lewis down within 2 rounds,lennox would be an easy target for the hard punching cooney and would not be able to wither the constant left hooks to the body and finally to the jaw,
                  Then how come Cooney lost the way he did against Holmes and Spinks ? were they any superior to Lennox ?

Comment

Originally posted by frankenfrank View Post
                    Spinks , Holmes and Cooney fought like shit. Lewis was always suspect to get hurt , but nothing unusual about it , just not one of the best chins.
                    Larry Holmes was vulnerable too , and he knew it , which is why he fought as bad as he did , and this is after watching all of their fights against another , and then a little more from each one of them , I was never impressed by neither one of them.
                    And back to Cooney , he was stopped in his biggest 3 fights , won because of cuts against Jimmy Young , and hit Norton while he was down , which even takes from his biggest wins.
                    You know nothing of either Holmes or Spinks if you think they're "poor fighters". This is obviously a case of not knowing what you're watching. Either that or you're deluded into thinking that the robotic Eastern Euro amatuer style is somehow superior to all others (Newsflash: It isn't. If anything it's poorly suited to the pro game). Keep imbibing your fairy dust there Hot Shot :hypnotised9:

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by frankenfrank View Post
                      Then how come Cooney lost the way he did against Holmes and Spinks ? were they any superior to Lennox ?
                      that is a good question and i dont know,if there were rematches would the outcome of been different,i dont know,i do know that holmes and spinks where at the top of their game and with all this white hype surrounding cooney he had an enormous deal of pressure on him,even though that should be no excuse,he was not able to execute is left hook,he was basically a left hook fighter and the way holmes and spinks kept moving to their lefts i9t made it hard for cooney to catch them,lewis does not have the foot work of holmes or spinks and would of walked into a cooney left

Comment

Working...
                      X