Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would it be bad if Floyd came in at 147?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would it be bad if Floyd came in at 147?

If you notice both of Floyd's fights at 154 he hasn't had the same grace in the ring he has at lower weights. Yes he was facing great fighters in those two 154, but overall he just isn't as light on his feet.

Just how bad would it be for Floyd to come in lower than 150? Would it help him, or would it just put him at a bigger size disadvantage against Canelo?

He might as well. He'll be the same on fight night as if he weighed in at 150 or 151. It really wouldn't make a difference. Unless there's a rule, then he could just weigh 148.

Comment

Yes, he needs to be as big as possible while still being comfortable.

I think he's had problems in both fights but I do think there were real reasons for it. I truly believed that he was freaked out coming into the Oscar fight. He was super small at LW, 140, & espically WW whille Oscar had been all the way to MW and had just decapitated the super tough Mayorga.

On top of that you had his dad training Floyd at the begining who was Oscar's former trainer. His dad talked to Floyd non stop about not getting hit with that hook because he could get hurt bad. His dad also always believes Floyd is small so Im sure he was telling Floyd to not take any hits.

I think Floyd came into that fight kinda fearful of what it would be like to get hit at 154 and if he could take it. I have always felt he would be way more comoftable in a rematch after knowing what to expect and would open up alot more.

With the Cotto fight, it was a different Floyd. It was the aggressive guy who was flat footed against Shane & Ortiz. You could tell that he thought he was just so scared and could fight so good that he could do that to anyone for the rest of his career and would tear guys up.

However, he found out that Cotto is a stocky dude, low to the ground, and is stronger than him. After that he brought his dad back to start moving again. Basically I think Floyd is way more mentally comfortable with fighting at 154 and taking punches from bigger dudes than he was against Oscar while he also isnt dumb enough to fight these guys fights like he did against Cotto. If he moved against Cotto like he will do against Canelo then he wouldnt have had any problems.

With all that being said, Canelo's one chance is that he's going to be 20 pounds bigger & stronger. Maybe so big & strong that Floyd just wont be able to handle it. Therefore, its best that he cuts that gap in weight somehow. If he's his normal 150-152 at Jr. MW then I think he will be fine. He'll definitely stilll be able to be light on his fight while somewhat strong enough to nullify Canelo's size/strength advantage

Comment

Floyd needs that TRT to make sure his legs are good for all 12....

Comment

It's not his weight it's the weight of the opponent IMO that has more to do with him not looking so hot at 154.

Comment

calm down…

no need for floyd fans to worry, remember catch weight king floyd is fighting a weight drained zombie.

catchweight king winning a boring ud against a weight drained fighter.

Comment

Floyd doesn't look hot at 154 because he is risk averse... he always plays it safe, that's why his fights at 154 are so boring

Comment

Originally posted by retnuocllup View Post
                Floyd doesn't look hot at 154 because he is risk averse... he always plays it safe, that's why his fights at 154 are so boring
                his fight against cotto was one of the most entertaining of the year so wtf are you talking about?

Comment

yeah.... big time.... canelo will just physically impose himself....

Comment

nope he doesnt weigh more then what 152 anyways so no matter what canelo is going to out muscle him physically so better if he comes in light and stay away and do his pitty pat punches and run all night with the usual elbows and forearms.

Comment

Working...
                    X