Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latimore vs Quintana; Vargas vs Gomez on Mayweather-Cotto undercard

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The name value of the undercard is poor but the actual matchups on paper look like good fights, with the exception of Alvarez vs Mosley(which has an outside chance at being decent).

Gomez vs Vargas is a matchup of two high activity fighters with decent skills, not a lot of power that are both Mexican, which is the recipe for a war. Vargas needs a name win to boost his career path as a much-hyped prospect, Gomez needs the win to get out of gatekeeper status and possibly get a title shot himself.

Quintana vs Latimore is pretty much a "loser is finished" fight, and I think Latimore probably wins it, but Quintana should have enough in the tank to at least make it competitive.

Alvarez vs Mosley is the only fight that looks to be a stinker based on Mosley's last few fights, there's a good chance he gets a taste of Alvarez's power and then runs for twelve rounds as it appears he's lost his fighting heart, but there's always a chance he could turn back the clock and pull the upset, Alvarez is hittable and has plenty of flaws as the Gomez fight showed. Principally he doesn't jab much, which is Shane's kryptonite.

Comment

I like Gomez, but I don't know about a title for him. @ WW, his best shot's at Mike Jones.
      He's fought for a title.. I think twice now, but both were against fighters out of his league.
      If he fights again for a title, if Mike Jones wins, I'll give him a shot.

Comment

Just depends. There's Senchenko in the Ukraine with the WBA Welterweight belt that Malignaggi is fighting, Gomez would have a decent chance at getting the winner there, or the winner of Mike Jones vs Randall Bailey as you indicated for the IBF Welterweight belt.

Comment

Originally posted by HitBattousai View Post
          Just depends. There's Senchenko in the Ukraine with the WBA Welterweight belt that Malignaggi is fighting, Gomez would have a decent chance at getting the winner there, or the winner of Mike Jones vs Randall Bailey as you indicated for the IBF Welterweight belt.
          I'd be excited if both men won (Gomez and Jones) and Gomez got a shot against Jones. I think Jones is being groomed as Pacquiao opponent, but I don't think he'd be set up for November now. I did in the past, but not now. If Gomez can get a shot at that belt, I think he takes it.

Comment

Working...
          X