No announcement yet.

Robert Garcia: Jose Benavidez beat Herrera

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hectari View Post
    Herrera needs power, if you are a slick boxer or a point fighter you can get away wtihout having power but Herrera is a slip and slide inside your face pressure fighter, but he lacks power he hit Jose with a lot of flush shots that could have knocked him down or out but he didn't have enough pop to hurt him.
    Yeah agree. Herrera makes contact that's it. The whole fight he maybe landed 10-15 shots that actually looked like they do some damage.

The guy puts no power on most of those body shots landed. He's getting his power from the elbow onward there's no torque or power behind them and the over the head shots he was landing in close werent effective either just contact that's it. But he does have a style that I think is almost impossible to look against

Comment

Originally posted by R_Walken View Post
      Yeah agree. Herrera makes contact that's it. The whole fight he maybe landed 10-15 shots that actually looked like they do some damage.

The guy puts no power on most of those body shots landed. He's getting his power from the elbow onward there's no torque or power behind them and the over the head shots he was landing in close werent effective either just contact that's it. But he does have a style that I think is almost impossible to look against
      Yeah the due just throws mostly arm punches to make contact he throws punches in bunches but with no power behind them. He is also slow, he has no strength to even twist his hips and just throw some mustard on those bad boys.

He is like a gnat flying around you that doesn't hurt you but you can't really wack him away, that is Herrera just one ugly style and annoyance in the ring.

What makes him even worse to look good against is he has an iron chin, so you get tired from punching this guy, Garcia hits like a freaking mule and he was gassing after loading up and not being able to hurt him.

Comment

He also thinks the Bradley-Chaves "draw" was correct.....

The Big G feels that Herrera won. Big G > Grandpa

Comment

In a sense Herrera ha a point scoring style, but with the way he fights his punches just do not show enough to make judges think those blows were effective.

His jab is a quality punch but other than jabs and occasional good body shots and maybe couple good right hands, he doesn't land anything that makes the audience or the judges go wow. Herrera has decent defense to go with his jab making him hard to hit super clean but given how close he has to be to the other guy in the ring (he is not rangy for the class) his subtle defense allows a harder punching guy to miss while making contact and look better than Herrera's landed shots.

Herrera just does not make the differences distinct enough on both sides of the coin and that is why he loses close rounds and even some that he maybe should win. Sucks for him but a dude like him will be around a while, and GBP can use him plenty so he should have the opportunity to get his career in a much better place.

Hard to see how Herrera lost either of those last two fights though, he didn't dominate though even if you think he won the rounds.
          Last edited by The Gambler1981; 12-23-2014, 08:19 PM.

Comment

I thought Herrera was clearly the winner. Benavidez has more fighting ability than Herrera but he fought stupidly. He lost lots of rounds by laying on the ropes and letting Herrera pound on him. His corner told him many times to quit doing that. If he had spent more time at distance and away from the rope he would have made better use of his reach, hand speed, accuracy and power. Herrera gets 100% out of the ability he has and Benavidez needs to do the same.

Comment

I have to go back and watch this fight again, I was distracted the first time I watched it.

Comment

Working...
              X