No announcement yet.

The Unpopular Opinion thread.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Unpopular Opinion thread.

Any unpopular/unusual/out of the ordinary opinions you have to do with boxing, share them here.
    (Before anyone mentions it, yes this was stolen from ESB.)

I think Freddie Welsh is argubaly the greatest defensive fighter of all time.

I think Dick Tiger has argubally the greatest chin of all time.

I think Floyd Mayweather Jr is as good as Pernell Whitaker defensively.

3 things I have had a few heated debates about over the years

Comment

I think Jake Lamotta is a top 5 ATG MW.

Comment

I think cherry pie is disgusting. With or without ice cream.

Oh yeah, I think Larry Holmes is overrated.

Comment

This thread should be interesting.

I imagine alot of people have raised there eyebrows at the comments already.

I imagine they have mine.

Jro, I am directly referring to your post here
          Last edited by IronDanHamza; 07-07-2011, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            I think Freddie Welsh is argubaly the greatest defensive fighter of all time.

I think Dick Tiger has argubally the greatest chin of all time.

I think Floyd Mayweather Jr is as good as Pernell Whitaker defensively.

3 things I have had a few heated debates about over the years
            Nah, Tiger doesnt have the GOAT chin. He went life and death and was almost finished against DePaula. I understand that Tiger was undersized and everything, but DePaula was just not a very good fighter plain and simple, and that sort of situation shouldnt have happened for someone whos supposed to have the best chin of all time. not to mention Griffith dropped him pretty solidly and almost did it again with a similiar right hand not long after, although I suppose you could attribute that to being off balance. but still...Griffith isnt one of the biggest punchers of all time.

Ill have to check out Welsh though, never even heard of the damn guy, sp thanks for bringing him up.

Comment

Originally posted by Steak View Post
              Nah, Tiger doesnt have the GOAT chin. He went life and death and was almost finished against DePaula. I understand that Tiger was undersized and everything, but DePaula was just not a very good fighter plain and simple, and that sort of situation shouldnt have happened for someone whos supposed to have the best chin of all time. not to mention Griffith dropped him pretty solidly and almost did it again with a similiar right hand not long after, although I suppose you could attribute that to being off balance. but still...Griffith isnt one of the biggest punchers of all time.

Ill have to check out Welsh though, never even heard of the damn guy, sp thanks for bringing him up.
              The fight you mention to critisize Tiger were well past his prime and all post Foster. Pretty much can't say that about any of this fights pre-Foster.

Surely we must consider anything post Foster is due to the mental and physical factors? Stick Jake Lamotta or Ray Robinson in with a prime Bob Foster at 175 and I assure you they suffer the same treatment and would most likely never have the same chin again.

The DePaula fight is pretty much outright evidence to sugges that.

He was barely hurt in his entire career, fighting a long list of great fighters with good power.

I have only seen a handful of men take a shot like Tiger did.

Comment

Jimmy Wilde is not top tier ATG material.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                  The fight you mention to critisize Tiger were well past his prime and all post Foster. Pretty much can't say that about any of this fights pre-Foster.

Surely we must consider anything post Foster is due to the mental and physical factors? Stick Jake Lamotta or Ray Robinson in with a prime Bob Foster at 175 and I assure you they suffer the same treatment and would most likely never have the same chin again.

The DePaula fight is pretty much outright evidence to sugges that.

He was barely hurt in his entire career, fighting a long list of great fighters with good power.

I have only seen a handful of men take a shot like Tiger did.
                  Undoubtedly Tigers chin was good. That Im not questioning.

but greatest of all time? ehhh.

Griffith dropped him and almost did it again directly after, and Griffith wasnt the biggest puncher ever.

And personally I dont see Foster giving that kind of treatment to someone like Hagler, Monzon, or Hopkins, although that certainly is up for debate.

Comment

Oh yeah, as for my unpopular opinion.

If you put most of your emphasis on resume, Eder Jofre is not a top 10 or 15 ATG.
                    Jimmy Wilde is not top tier ATG material.
                    and I agree with this.

Comment

Working...
                    X