Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, was Cotto washed up all year or only after Trout beat him?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
    It's not the same, no matter how much you try, it's a stupid comparison. Duran came up to the next weight from 135 & beat him, lost the rematch & went on to higher weight classes. Marquez has no business at 147 & won't go any higher period. Bad bad comparison.
    I'm not sure I think Marquez could do well at 147.

He's very small at the weight, no doubt. But I would pick him against most at the weight today. But perhaps that's because the division is so weak.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      I'm not sure I think Marquez could do well at 147.

He's very small at the weight, no doubt. But I would pick him against most at the weight today. But perhaps that's because the division is so weak.
      Nothing wrong with that. But when you have Dunn here calling Duran-SRL the same as Floyd-Pacman/ Marquez, something is wrong. Duran beat Srl & went far beyond 147. Marquez like you said is tiny at 147 & realistically cannot go any further. It was just a bad bad comparison.

Comment

• How do you draw comparisons from May-Marquez to Leonard-Duran??? There isn't one in the least..... Marquez jumped from 35 to fight at 47.... By the time Leonard fought Duran he was a full fledged WW..... Stop reaching

Comment

• Originally posted by MJ223 View Post
          How do you draw comparisons from May-Marquez to Leonard-Duran??? There isn't one in the least..... Marquez jumped from 35 to fight at 47.... By the time Leonard fought Duran he was a full fledged WW..... Stop reaching
          This is what I tried to tell Dunn. It's 1 of the most stupidest comparisons I've seen from him.

Comment

This is what I tried to tell Dunn. It's 1 of the most stupidest comparisons I've seen from him.
            I wouldn't expect anything less (or more).... This is the same man that said Floyd could beat SMW's not named Ward

And was dead serious

Comment

• Originally posted by MJ223 View Post
              I wouldn't expect anything less (or more).... This is the same man that said Floyd could beat SMW's not named Ward

And was dead serious
              Is that right?? He's a good guy & a good poster so I'll have to presume that he was just joking.

Comment

• Originally posted by New England
                Quote:

Originally Posted by thatdudespits

its funny to read these comments and see people questioning the greatness of a 4 time 3 division world champion who in his career has fought every relevant fighter in his weight classes except those who wouldnt fight him (Ricky Hatton for example)... its sad... unless your undefeated or on an amazing run you cant ignore... your a nobody... your accomplishments in the past are forgotten...

"most people dont know **** about boxing"

Cotto-Trout was a great fight... it was a close fight... no fighter was dominated... anyone who says otherwise didnt watch the fight...

Styles make fights... and considering the style match up... Cotto did well... i expected Cotto to win... but Trout was a game opponent... he kept his will in tact, and pulled out a W....against a great fighter, not a shot one...

Cotto did lose some things after margarito I... but as a classy Cotto once said "**** happens in boxing, in life"... no excuses Miguel Cotto is still a great fighter... props to Trout... id pick him over canelo...and id still pick cotto to outclass canelo

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

good post and welcome to the forums. i don't agree with everything, but that doesn't mean it's not a well thought out take.

i don't think cotto is the fighter he used to be. for one, he's a much more natural WW, and at 154 he's less potent and compensating for his lack of size. trout is the first big jr MW weight in his prime that he fought. foreman was good sized, but he wasn't physical, or very good to begin with. mayorga was a big guy as well, but he doesn't impose his size for 12 rounds, and he's a clown. margarito was a career WW. trout very frequently made cotto miss simply on the merits of his length.

and more importantly, cotto is a diminished force mentally and physically. it's my opinion that he's got a good amount of give in him now, and he never had that in his prime. in the recent past he's been made to back up and stop throwing.

and there are the standard signs of wear you see on an aging fighter. his hands aren't as fast as they used to be. his legs are showing their age, especially late in fights.

cotto was one of my favorites. his fights with mosley, torres, margarito, clottey, judah, the first five rounds of pacquiao, mayweather, were all great fights. his best days certainly behind him, though. i was slow to come around to it myself, but i think it was after the clottey fight that i realized that he'd never come close to becoming the great fighter i thought he could be. i blame his lack of ability, tough as nails matchmaking and antonio margarito. cotto was never the same after that fight.
                respect your opinion but... lack of ability never comes to mind when i hear Cotto's name... a very balanced out fighter...

I do agree he had tough match making coming up... but thats old school... you have to respect that... thats what makes Cotto such a great fighter. His resume from 140 up is top notch..

i agree he is a natural WW... and if he could make 147 and do it the right way... he should think about it... also he should hire a new strength coach... new philosophy could be good for his body

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

• Cotto is not washed up so can people shut the hell up already with that. Trout was a horible matchup for Miguel and thats why he lost. Trout was just to big and had a huge reach advantage which was the difference in this fight. Although miguel lost to floyd he fought a hell of a fight so i wouldn't say he was washed up before the trout fight nor after.

Comment

Simple question. How long was Cotto washed up?? After all he was favored by 90% of the board. Now he's washed up. Looking for clarity.
                    you guys are such fan boys that you can't look at a fight or fighter rationally.
                    Cotto looked great against Mayweather, even though he lost. However, it is not uncommon for an aging fighter such as Cotto to get old over night. It happens.
                    You add to the fact that he probably didn't train properly like Hunter suggested and you could see why the apparent slip. That certainly didn't seem like the Cotto of old in there.. None the less, you have to give Trout some props for taking on a big name like Cotto in his backyard and beating him. I wouldn't call this a career defining match for Trout however.. Just a match against the perfet opponent at the time to catapult him into stardom. Kind of like when Mayweather fought De La Hoya.

Comment

• hes been washed up since the first margorito fight...there i said it!

Comment

Working...
                      X