Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which HWs past and present would have had a good chance of beating a 70s Foreman?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dickie Smalls View Post
    Hardly anyone...

He liked to brawl alot, so if he got sucked into a slug-fest with an iron jaw and hard hitting opponent like Ike Ibeabuchi (pre-jail), or David Tua; he'd be in trouble.
    he'd beat both of them. He wasn't that bad of a boxer in his prime. He won a gold medal ffs.

Foreman uses his jab to dismantle Ike who wouldn't be used to a man of foremans strength and power, Tua is barely 5'10 him vs old George might be a good fight lol.

Comment

Foremans Jab was just so good not many Hw's could beat him.

Comment

How about Larry Holmes? That's the first name that comes to mind.

Comment

• Louis
          • Clay*
          • Liston
          • Holmes
          • Tyson

*Predating the first Liston fight, a young Ali would've beaten Foreman as he did Liston - with blinding speed - not with the cunning and guile of the rope-a-dope.

Comment

Originally posted by Yaman View Post
            History has forgotten about the Jimmy Young fight I guess. He outboxed Foreman and further exposed his many technical flaws.

It's too bad he retired when he did because I think Larry Holmes would have boxed him silly and we wouldn't be having debates like this.

It's also too bad he never fought Quarry either because that was another problematic style matchup for him.

It just seems like people like to think the younger Foreman could just literally blow his way through anybody except Ali despite the, again, Young fight and the fact that Boxing is so much more than that.

Edit- forgot you said past and present.
            In that case the list grows longer. Muhammad Ali, Jimmy Young, Larry Holmes, Jerry Quarry, Lennox Lewis, Evander Holyfield, Sonny Liston. I also refuse to believe Foreman was so invincible in a punch-out due to the Ron Lyle fight, so whose to say some of the punchers of the past would have had a good shot at beating him.
            foreman would demolish quarry inside 3 rounds

Comment

Originally posted by House of Stone View Post
              foreman would demolish quarry inside 3 rounds
              He didn't think so. He's admitted avoiding Quarry, if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                He also said he was terrified of Frazier. We know how that worked out.....

Poet

Comment

A prime Sonny Liston I think beats him.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                    Yes, it was a funny story on the line of Foreman telling Quarry something like "you just blew our fight" after he stopped Shavers.

@ House of Stone, I see you're already underrating Quarry who was a very solid fighter. He might look like some smaller white guy that Foreman would 'demolish' but his counter punching and durability would present a lot of problems to Foreman. He beat strong guys like Mathis, Foster, Lyle(you should know him well as a Foreman fan) and Shavers.

Comment

Originally posted by Yaman View Post
                      Yes, it was a funny story on the line of Foreman telling Quarry something like "you just blew our fight" after he stopped Shavers.

@ House of Stone, I see you're already underrating Quarry who was a very solid fighter. He might look like some smaller white guy that Foreman would 'demolish' but his counter punching and durability would present a lot of problems to Foreman. He beat strong guys like Mathis, Foster, Lyle(you should know him well as a Foreman fan) and Shavers.
                      I have a high regard for Quarry but I don't have any illusions about him beating a fighter in Foreman's class. Simply wasn't going to happen. There have been some eras where Jerry could have won a title.....'65-'75 wasn't one of those eras.

Poet

Comment

Working...
                      X