No announcement yet.

Tips for improving defence

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for improving defence

Any tips for improving head movement and especially hand defence. I spar national champ at our gym and he always seems to have a great defence without barely moving his hands. Nothing seems to get through. Just wondering how to tighten my defence and learn ways to improve hand defence. Thanks.

Originally posted by Nathan Jarvis View Post
    Any tips for improving head movement and especially hand defence. I spar national champ at our gym and he always seems to have a great defence without barely moving his hands. Nothing seems to get through. Just wondering how to tighten my defence and learn ways to improve hand defence. Thanks.
    Its because he has experience and can see what your doing before you do it. Boxing is a repetitious sport, and takes years of doing the same **** over and over to get good at it, and takes years of actual ring experience to understand what your doing.

Learn how to keep a tight guard before you plan on sliding punches. Learn how to keep your feet moving too. Good foot movement, a tight guard, and a good timing jab is the best defense you can ask for.

That's the best advice I can give you, all that more fancier stuff isn't for beginners.

Comment

Be economical with your movement, whether it be footwork or head movement. Meaning, don't move more than you have too. You'll begin to notice that you don't need to move your head more than a few inches in order to slip a punch, or take just one or two steps to avoid a shot, instead of 3 or 4 stutter steps.

You use too big of a motion to move your head away from the shot, you take your own ability to counter away. You take too big of a step to avoid a shot, you take yourself away from the fight. The more time and energy you waste on over-moving, the less opportunity you have to capitalize off of your defense.
      Last edited by BG_Knocc_Out; 10-27-2015, 08:56 AM.

Comment

the men that know how to slip and defend will see ques from their opponents body movements long before the glove/punch is even thrown and then they are out of the way/defended. that's experience.

you could have great eyes but if you don't know what to look for you will have a tough time.

where are you 'putting' your eyes on your opponent?

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
          the men that know how to slip and defend will see ques from their opponents body movements long before the glove/punch is even thrown and then they are out of the way/defended. that's experience.

you could have great eyes but if you don't know what to look for you will have a tough time.

where are you 'putting' your eyes on your opponent?
          I'm looking at his front shoulder/chest where he holds his lead hand. I think with him as well, he uses a lot of feints and then counters my counter. I sparred yesterday and focused more on technique in defense and like BG_Knocc_Out said i think i am making to large movements. I noticed with him as well, that he barely moves when defending/slipping (great balance also). I reckon i just got to work on moving my head more efficiently, improve my balance when taking shots on the gloves, and look for ques from my opponents like you say. I can slip one or two punches but than struggle to block or move out the way of anything after that. Any tips for improving any of that?
          And thanks for the reply only just seen it

Comment

Originally posted by BG_Knocc_Out View Post
            Be economical with your movement, whether it be footwork or head movement. Meaning, don't move more than you have too. You'll begin to notice that you don't need to move your head more than a few inches in order to slip a punch, or take just one or two steps to avoid a shot, instead of 3 or 4 stutter steps.

You use too big of a motion to move your head away from the shot, you take your own ability to counter away. You take too big of a step to avoid a shot, you take yourself away from the fight. The more time and energy you waste on over-moving, the less opportunity you have to capitalize off of your defense.
            Yea I reckon that's it. Thinking about it now, every time I slip or move I seem to be able to only get out the way of one or two punches but then get hit because I'm not quick enough (too large movements). I'm not too bad when countering just one or two shots, but anymore than that or just getting simple out of that way I always end up eating shots as my head is always too low or I'm off balance. I also reckon that this will help my energy loads.

Should I just do slow defensive sparring to improve this and gradually practice it in open sparring? And I've seen some boxers (pro and amateur) who have amazing head movement barely without moving their head just can't remember who. Do you recommend any boxers to study (Mayweather and Julio Cesar Chaves is only who i can think of)

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan Jarvis View Post
              I'm looking at his front shoulder/chest where he holds his lead hand. I think with him as well, he uses a lot of feints and then counters my counter. I sparred yesterday and focused more on technique in defense and like BG_Knocc_Out said i think i am making to large movements. I noticed with him as well, that he barely moves when defending/slipping (great balance also). I reckon i just got to work on moving my head more efficiently, improve my balance when taking shots on the gloves, and look for ques from my opponents like you say. I can slip one or two punches but than struggle to block or move out the way of anything after that. Any tips for improving any of that?
              And thanks for the reply only just seen it
              if you are looking in the chest area than you are seeing what you need to see. now just give time for your brain to learn to remain calm in the middle of your heated exchanges. calm will allow your mind not only to see but to react as well, all in a split second.

Comment

Working...
              X