If John L Sullivan were active today would he be THE champ

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

he might win a title.

an IBA one, that noone cares about.

in the supercruiserweight division that nobody knows exists.

Thats IF he ate enough burgers to big up his weight.

and then he'd promptly lose it to James Toney, who would get right jealous of all the burgerbars in town JL was hogging.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamFighter View Post
      he might win a title.

an IBA one, that noone cares about.

in the supercruiserweight division that nobody knows exists.

and then promptly lose it to James Toney.
      I think James Toney would do well in the bare knuckle era

Comment

Originally posted by THE LARRY View Post
        I think James Toney would do well in the bare knuckle era
        if they'd let him fight for a title, and racist guys didnt casually murder him in his sleep, then he would do.

Depends how he adapts to 19th Century rules and doesnt gas too early.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamFighter View Post
          if they'd let him fight for a title, and racist guys didnt casually murder him in his sleep, then he would do.

Depends how he adapts to 19th Century rules and doesnt gas too early.
          I think the bare knuckle pace would fit him,not to many punches thrown and more time to think

Comment

i seriously doubt that he'd beat wladimir. in fact, i have a hard time believing that he could even win a round or stay on his feet for many of them. he'd have a hard time even putting a glove on wladimir.

vitali might get old overnight, but i doubt that as well. he's too big and too cagey, and his chin is so solid.

Comment

Originally posted by THE LARRY View Post

How would he fair in the current heavyweight division? He was virtually undefeated until he decided to fight 1 last fight against the great "Gentleman Jim" Corbett.
              larry, you do know that the picture you posted isn't sullivan right? it says it right in the picture.

he'd be an ok cruiser.

Comment

Originally posted by Anton.Brilliant View Post
                larry, you do know that the picture you posted isn't sullivan right? it says it right in the picture.

he'd be an ok cruiser.

Comment

He was maybe to small for the Klits but what about with someone like Seth Mitchell

Comment

He fought in an era when a lot of things which are illegal now were legal back then. For example, drinking alcohol between rounds which would increase pain resistance significantly. And it's well known Sullivan was an alcoholic.

If he fought under today's rules he'd be another Tye Fields.

Comment

Originally posted by FlatLine View Post
                      He fought in an era when a lot of things which are illegal now were legal back then. For example, drinking alcohol between rounds which would increase pain resistance significantly. And it's well known Sullivan was an alcoholic.

If he fought under today's rules he'd be another Tye Fields
                      So he'd be a god?

Comment

Working...
                      X