• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOXING: Defamation suit lurks as likely roadblock to Pacquiao-Mayweather

BOXING: Defamation suit lurks as likely roadblock to Pacquiao-Mayweather

Steroid accusation is remnant of previous failed negotiation

By STEVE CARP
    LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

Bob Arum is confident of striking a deal for a Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather Jr. fight Nov. 13, but one obstacle is in the Top Rank chairman's way.

Pacquiao filed a defamation lawsuit against Mayweather, his father, Floyd Mayweather Sr., his uncle Roger Mayweather and Golden Boy Promotions on Dec. 30, claiming they damaged Pacquiao's reputation by alluding that he used performance-enhancing drugs.

The lawsuit is a remnant of unconsummated negotiations for Mayweather and Pacquiao to fight March 13. Arum, who promotes Pacquiao, admits the suit will factor into any renewed talks.

"The lawsuit is still being actively pursued," Arum said. "All these issues are on the table and will be negotiated. I'm sure it will be discussed."

Mayweather's camp is not commenting. But common sense indicates Mayweather wouldn't agree to fight someone who is suing him and would demand that Pacquiao drop the suit to make a deal.

What Arum doesn't want to do is make the same mistake twice and negotiate in the media. On a conference call Wednesday, he constantly told reporters he would not answer specific questions about making a deal, even declining to confirm when he would sit down with Team Mayweather.

"Once you start negotiating through the media, it becomes ego driven," Arum said. "People can't wait to give a statement to the press. The flames just shoot up, and there's no real opportunity for rational behavior to take over.

"Everyone is so interested in setting forth his position to the media that it becomes a contest that involves me and everyone else. As far as when, I have my marching orders (from Pacquiao), and it will be sooner than later."

If a deal is made, the fight probably would be at the MGM Grand Garden or Cowboys Stadium, Arum said.

http://www.lvrj.com/sports/defamatio...-93877669.html

And here we go......

Comment

sob. make the fight.

Comment

I gotta agree with Arum here. Don't publicize the negotiations. All we really want to see is the fight itself. We don't need 5 more months of back and forth bickering which in the end will get nobody anywhere. They should put a gag order in the negotiations for all parties involved. Maybe then people won't consume their lives so much worrying about these two lol.

Just signed the God Damn fight already....what else is left to build on?

Comment

Blah blah blah. If Mayweather was supposedly "Defacing" Pac's rep then why not just sign the contract and take the tests?

Comment

Obviously Arum is going to try to use the lawsuit as leverage in negotiations, but it doesn't hold any weight in my opinion. There simply is no case, this will be thrown out of court.

Comment

Originally posted by thatnickuh View Post
              Obviously Arum is going to try to use the lawsuit as leverage in negotiations, but it doesn't hold any weight in my opinion. There simply is no case, this will be thrown out of court.
              Every ***** is a lawyer all of sudden...

Comment

Originally posted by COACH-WEBB View Post
                BOXING: Defamation suit lurks as likely roadblock to Pacquiao-Mayweather

Steroid accusation is remnant of previous failed negotiation

By STEVE CARP
                LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

Bob Arum is confident of striking a deal for a Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather Jr. fight Nov. 13, but one obstacle is in the Top Rank chairman's way.

Pacquiao filed a defamation lawsuit against Mayweather, his father, Floyd Mayweather Sr., his uncle Roger Mayweather and Golden Boy Promotions on Dec. 30, claiming they damaged Pacquiao's reputation by alluding that he used performance-enhancing drugs.

The lawsuit is a remnant of unconsummated negotiations for Mayweather and Pacquiao to fight March 13. Arum, who promotes Pacquiao, admits the suit will factor into any renewed talks.

"The lawsuit is still being actively pursued," Arum said. "All these issues are on the table and will be negotiated. I'm sure it will be discussed."

Mayweather's camp is not commenting. But common sense indicates Mayweather wouldn't agree to fight someone who is suing him and would demand that Pacquiao drop the suit to make a deal.

What Arum doesn't want to do is make the same mistake twice and negotiate in the media. On a conference call Wednesday, he constantly told reporters he would not answer specific questions about making a deal, even declining to confirm when he would sit down with Team Mayweather.

"Once you start negotiating through the media, it becomes ego driven," Arum said. "People can't wait to give a statement to the press. The flames just shoot up, and there's no real opportunity for rational behavior to take over.

"Everyone is so interested in setting forth his position to the media that it becomes a contest that involves me and everyone else. As far as when, I have my marching orders (from Pacquiao), and it will be sooner than later."

If a deal is made, the fight probably would be at the MGM Grand Garden or Cowboys Stadium, Arum said.

http://www.lvrj.com/sports/defamatio...-93877669.html
                So far, all of the talk about this fight has come from one side-Arum and Roach.

Comment

Originally posted by lfc19titles View Post
                  Every ***** is a lawyer all of sudden...
                  And most Pacquiao groupies here seem to be illiterate. Did you not see "in my opinion"?

Comment

Originally posted by Calilloyd View Post
                    So far, all of the talk about this fight has come from one side-Arum and Roach.
                    I notice that also.

Comment

Working...
                    X