Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to expand my boxing knowledge...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to expand my boxing knowledge...

So now that my Summer vacation started and with my free time, I finally decided to really stop for a moment and start looking at fighters' records and achievements. I've been looking around boxrec and absolutely enjoying going around and sifting through records and seeing all sorts of things. Don't get me wrong, I've been reading, watching, and writing about boxing ever since I became enamored around 2007. I've even buying career sets and books and whatnot, completely absorbed it.

Anyway, getting to the point, I've always heard that when discussing the top Puerto Rican fighters, it [usually] boils down to: Gómez, Benítez, and Trinidad.

So given my free time, I naturally decided to start looking at the fighters' records, comparing, contrasting, and whatnot.

This is what I was able to come up with.

HUGE NOTE: Feel free to disagree. Again, I've watched a lot of fights and tune in to fights as much as I can, but I'm VERY green compared to some history buffs, but believe me when I tell you that I'm very much interested in learning AS MUCH AS I CAN ABOUT THE SPORT.

Point out anything that looks out of place, and feel free to tell me...which one was the best Puerto Rican fighter? Because based on what I saw, I'm torn between Gómez and Benítez...but leaning slightly towards Benítez.

As always, thank you for the support and I love reading your posts, feel free to agree or disagree!

Wilfredo Gómez (44-3-1, 42KO’s)

1. Most significant achievement: 24 title defenses by KO(Longest KO winning streak in history while defending a belt), 32 straight knockouts (3rd longest in boxing history)

2. Most significant win: Carlos Zarate (52-0, 51KO’s)- TKO5

3. Championship belts: 122 (24 title defenses), 126 (0 title defenses), 130 (0 title defenses)

4. Notable wins: Lupe Pintor (TKO14), Royal Kobayashi (TKO3), Juan Laporte (UD)

5. Notable losses: Salvador Sánchez (TKO8 ), Azumah Nelson (KO11), and Alfredo Layne (TKO9)

*Salvador Sánchez was Gómez’s first opponent at 126 lbs, Gómez was never defeated at 122 lbs.

**Three of Gómez’s losses were by KO/TKO, two of which came against a highly touted Salvador Sánchez and a solid contender in Azumah Nelson (who lost to Sánchez himself by TKO in the 15th).

***Wifredo Gómez was a boxer-puncher with power in both hands, primarily the straight right and left uppercut. He was a good body puncher, could fight on both the inside and outside, but had a tendency to take a lot of punishment as his career progressed and he was very prone to swelling. Unquestionable heart, he always fought to the bitter end.

~0~0~0~0~0~0~0~0~0~0~0~

Wilfred Benítez (53-8-1, 31KO’s)

Most significant achievement: Youngest champion in boxing history (age 17 in his 25th pro fight)

Most significant win: Roberto Durán (74-2, 57KO’s)- UD12

Championship belts: 140 (two title defenses), 147 (two title defenses), 154 (three title defenses)

Notable wins: Carlos Palomino (UD12), Maurice Hope (TKO12), Carlos Santos (UD10)

Notable losses: Sugar Ray Leonard (TKO12), Thomas Hearns (MD15), Matthew Hilton (KO9)

* Wilfred Benítez’s first two losses came against two all-time great fighters in Leonard and Hearns. His first loss against Leonard was a questionable stoppage.

**Four of Benítez’s losses were via KO/TKO, one of which occurred because of an ankle injury, and another one occurred while Benítez was ahead on all scorecards during the 7th.

***Benítez was a fighter with decent power but preferred boxing. He could fight on the inside and was slippery enough to dodge punches. His greatest strength lied in his defense and frustrating opponents with his slickness. Benítez was the kind of fighter who you could corner and still make you miss.

~0~0~0~0~0~0~0~0~0~0~0~0~

Felix Trinidad (42-3-0, 35KO’s)

1. Most significant achievement: 40 straight wins before facing first loss

2. Most significant win: Fernando Vargas (20-0, 18KO’s)- TKO12

3. Championship belts: 147 (15 title defenses), 154 (2 title defenses), unified titles in both

4. Notable wins: Luis Ramón Campas (TKO5), Oscar de la Hoya (MD12), Pernell Whittaker (UD12)

5. Notable losses: Bernard Hopkins (TKO12), Ronald Wright (UD12), Roy Jones, Jr. (UD12)

*Trinidad had one punch knockout power at 147 and was undefeated at this weight class. He managed to carry his power up to 154 and remained undefeated there as well, though his power at 160 is questionable.

**Trinidad was most susceptible to knockdowns in the early rounds of a fight, but had a tendency to fight with greater ferocity when knocked down.

***Trinidad was only knocked out once in 3 fights, in his third weight class, against all-time great Bernard Hopkins. However, he was thoroughly outpointed in all three of his losses and was unable to adapt in these three fights. His third loss was against Jones, Jr. in a fight where Tito came out of retirement after two-and-a-half years, fighting for the first time above 160.
    Wilfredo Gómez
    45.45%
    Wilfred Benítez
    36.36%
    Félix Trinidad
    0.00%
    Two of them are tied/All three are tied
    9.09%
    Other (please specify)
    9.09%

dont forget about Carlos Ortiz. for whatever reason the guy is the most overlooked of Puerto Rican greats, but he was a hell of an accomplished fighter, and arguably better than the guys you mentioned(and thats saying something).

Comment

Originally posted by Steak View Post
      dont forget about Carlos Ortiz. for whatever reason the guy is the most overlooked of Puerto Rican greats, but he was a hell of an accomplished fighter, and arguably better than the guys you mentioned(and thats saying something).
      You know what? I had Carlos Ortiz in the back of my mind the whole time I was looking at these three fighters but I completely ignored him. I'm going to to boxrec again and take a look at his record.

Comment

It's Carlos Ortiz, for me.

I have him as a #4 Lightweight too. Exceptional fighter.

Comment

Trinidad is ****in watch to watch. I don't think I've ever seen a boring Trinidad fight so he's definitely the person I'd start out with. He was a damn good fighter and one of the most exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by led's baby mama View Post
            Trinidad is ****in watch to watch. I don't think I've ever seen a boring Trinidad fight so he's definitely the person I'd start out with. He was a damn good fighter and one of the most exciting.
            Tito is an exciting fighter but there is simply no argument for him being the greatest Puerto Rican fighter of all time.

Much greater fighters have come from there.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              Tito is an exciting fighter but there is simply no argument for him being the greatest Puerto Rican fighter of all time.

hahaa man I didn't even read most of that. Just the title and the fighters. I thought he was goina look up all of em and decided, I'm just saying Trinidfad is exciting as ****, definitely would start with him just for fun ha.

Comment

Its Gomez for me, What a Fighter he was!

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post

I dont think he is either Dan but the guy was Great as well as exciting, look at all the Gold Medalists, champions, undefeated fighters ect he crushed. Many on the island feel he is their greatest so he does have some sort of claim.

Just to clarify tho i dont rate him above 3

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
                    I dont think he is either Dan but the guy was Great as well as exciting, look at all the Gold Medalists, champions, undefeated fighters ect he crushed. Many on the island feel he is their greatest so he does have some sort of claim.

Just to clarify tho i dont rate him above 3
                    I really can't see how. I can't see an argument for Tito.

Ortiz, Gomez and Benitez are so clearly greater than him.

Tito's a surefire HOF no question but he is an arguble ATG IMO whereas the other 3 are clear ATG's.

Tito has a solid resume and beat some very good fighters but I really cannot see an argument for how he is greater or even as great of those 3 ATG's.

Comment

Working...
                    X