Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Golovkin Needs TO MOVE UP IN WEIGHT TO BE GREAT, "THAT'S WHAT WE DID" - Mike McCallum

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So if GGG moved up to 175 and beat Cleverly for a world title you guys would shut the fuq up? Because that's basically the type of comp Mike beat at 175.

If you expect GGG to move to 175 to fight Kovalev your dreaming and have super high expectations for a fighter who has only beaten bums according to some illogical posters and fans.

Comment

I understand his Hagler comment, the fans who say "But Hagler doe", when GGG moving up is brought up. There was a couple of posters comparing Golovkin's run and Hagler's run, and who Hagler fought at a certain age and who GGG fought at a certain age. The posters were essentially trying to say that GGG is doing exactly what Hagler was doing but getting "hate" for it. So that is comparing.

As for GGG moving up, I no longer care, if he wants to stay at 160 and fight Canelo, BJS, Jacobs then fine but I will not either talk bad or good about that, just a shoulder shrug. He is 34 or will be, and he's making good money at 160 and will retire undefeated there. There is no one special there, just Canelo who's a good fighter, BJS is okay. Nothing special at 160, GGG is a good fighter but could be seen as much better if he moved up and beat the likes of DeGale and Abraham(or Ramirez if he beats AA).

Comment

Difference is McCallum faced quite a few names in his career. G hasn't fought anybody, and not for lack of competition. He just doesn't want to face certain fighters.

This was a guy that almost beat a prime Toney. No small feat. McCallum was a straight up beast. His war against Michael Watson was a thing of beauty.

Comment

I have no doubts that he'll move up, but as long as Canelo is sitting there I don't blame him. That's a HUGE money fight for him and very winnable

Comment

Originally posted by PK3434 View Post
            I'm sure he will move up but as long as the Canelo fight is still possible, it would be dumb to jump to 168 now.

Golovkin stays in shape, never struggles making weight, and fights in his natural weight class...3 things that are unfortunately not common in professional boxing today. Most fighters that move up today only do so because they can no longer make the weight because they get some money and get lazy and fat (Lemieux, Walters, Broner) or because it is just extremely dangerous for them to keep killing themselves to make a weight they shouldn't even be near.
            Great post

I respect GGG for being serious about not bloating up

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
              Difference is McCallum faced quite a few names in his career. G hasn't fought anybody, and not for lack of competition. He just doesn't want to face certain fighters.

This was a guy that almost beat a prime Toney. No small feat. McCallum was a straight up beast. His war against Michael Watson was a thing of beauty.
              That Watson fight was the first fight where I turned away

Saw it on replay when I was 5....those body shots made me scared one of them would get hurt....brutal

Watson was a strong MFer

Comment

The guy he's chasing in Canelo is more recognized, a higher regarded fighter and a better money maker than anyone at the 168 division. Unless Ward is there, I don't think GGG is obtaining any more recognition than if he were to have beaten Canelo.

Comment

the 2 greatest middleweights in the history never did. monzon and hagler

Comment

Hagler was a bum.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                      Im ok with him staying at 160 as long as meaningful fights get made there between now and 2017...he needs to move up if he is gonna be fighting Wade type guys the remainder there
                      I 100 percent agree

Comment

Working...
                      X