Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why dont pros dip their rear knee much when they throw a straight right?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
    np, but if u dip any lower...... would be too exaggerated/slow/unnecessary.... when u bend that low, u throw an OHR like https://youtu.be/NSn3wWoKz-k?t=1626

and i think someone mentioned:
    u dont have to dip the knee for "perfect form"
    u pivot ur right foot.
    and if ur stance is proper, the knee has to compensate to keep the stance balanced by "dipping" a little bit.
    Couldn't have said it better myself...No really I tried ^^^ I couldn't XD

Comment

Originally posted by PivotandRoll View Post
      Couldn't have said it better myself...No really I tried ^^^ I couldn't XD
      u basically said the same thing,
      cheers

Comment

It's difficult to pinpoint a specific reason, and there probably isn't one single cause, but sometimes the time available in high level boxing is too short to execute a perfect punch without compensating on accuracy or leaving yourself open for a counter. In other words, while the technique generates most power, it can also create a defensive liability or means the punch isn't accurate so boxers sometimes don't risk throwing with perfect form, but opt for maximum speed. Look at Floyd's straight right when he KOd Ortiz for example, he didn't throw a textbook shot and instead reached with the punch because of the position of Ortiz and available time to throw the shot.

We could factor in things like body type, natural fighting style, weight distribution etc.. The reasons will vary from person to person and it depends on the situation and available time.

Comment

They do..when they SIT on their shots

Comment

Originally posted by FlatLine View Post
            It's difficult to pinpoint a specific reason, and there probably isn't one single cause, but sometimes the time available in high level boxing is too short to execute a perfect punch without compensating on accuracy or leaving yourself open for a counter. In other words, while the technique generates most power, it can also create a defensive liability or means the punch isn't accurate so boxers sometimes don't risk throwing with perfect form, but opt for maximum speed. Look at Floyd's straight right when he KOd Ortiz for example, he didn't throw a textbook shot and instead reached with the punch because of the position of Ortiz and available time to throw the shot.

We could factor in things like body type, natural fighting style, weight distribution etc.. The reasons will vary from person to person and it depends on the situation and available time.
            This is the kinda wrong thinking that leads to people throwing punches wrong. Properly thrown shots are always quicker! Yes when you first learn to throw them you are slower but the more you train you eventually surpass that speed.... Canelo is a great example of this...He has gotten faster and faster because he does things the correct way...Pacquiao's speed basically comes from his ability to torque his shoulders into every punch effortlessly(Gamboa is the same) adding credence to this, while say Floyd's comes from his ability to extend his arm very fast...That's also why Manny hit's harder..but Floyd IS actually faster handed...just not faster..

Ugh I love boxing

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
              They do..when they SIT on their shots
              Nope! Some P4P guys like Bradley actually loop their punches when trying to get more power out of terrible habits..

Comment

Nope! Some P4P guys like Bradley actually loop their punches when trying to get more power out of terrible habits..
                Yes Bradley loops it, but he does sit on his shots at times

Comment

Alxkid is trying to invade NSB now huh

Comment

This is the kinda wrong thinking that leads to people throwing punches wrong. Properly thrown shots are always quicker! Yes when you first learn to throw them you are slower but the more you train you eventually surpass that speed.... Canelo is a great example of this...He has gotten faster and faster because he does things the correct way...Pacquiao's speed basically comes from his ability to torque his shoulders into every punch effortlessly(Gamboa is the same) adding credence to this, while say Floyd's comes from his ability to extend his arm very fast...That's also why Manny hit's harder..but Floyd IS actually faster handed...just not faster..

Ugh I love boxing
                    Properly thrown shots aren't always quicker. I gave an example in the last post of Floyd KOing Ortiz without a "properly thrown" straight right. He threw it that somewhat unconventional way because it was the quickest route to the target, and was necessary to execute in that manner, given the available time.

Getting caught up with textbook techniques I think can sometimes be more of a hindrance rather than beneficial. Some people can never even get used to an orthodox stance, it renders them completely ineffective because it can be too far-removed from their natural fighting stance. The same can apply with punch technique, footwork, head/body movement, guard, feints and so on.. They can all be performed in various ways, conventional or unconventional, yet can still retain comparable efficacy across the board.

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
                      Alxkid is trying to invade NSB now huh
                      xD

.........uve had that Fury picture long b4 he was champion, u must be an Ali fan!

Ali b4 foreman was like Fury b4 wlad, and yet u were riding his nuts b4 everyones beliefs were smashed

Impressive

Comment

Working...
                      X