No announcement yet.

My 3 keys for Chavez vs Martinez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
    A year ago, I'd agreed with you kev. But Chavez has really improved to me and Sergio does take a while to get going.

I got Sergio, but I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see an upset.
    Nobody who knows anything about boxing should be surprised if we didn't see an upset.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
      Chavez Jr doesn't stand a chance. He's not even as good as Pavlik, who managed to have a good mid-round rally against Martinez. He's gonna get cut up, he will be there to get hit all night and Sergio won't miss. I'm gonna love this fight.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but it's actually Chavez Jr who might get rounds based on his name, undefeated record, and Bob Arum. Chavez Jr is actually the bigger name, not Martinez.
      To say he doesn't stand a chance is to discredit Chavez completely and discredit the sport of boxing IMO.

I agree, I pick Martinez to win but you can't create triangle theories and I don't know why boxing fans keep doing this. Pavlik is Pavlik, he's not Chavez jr. He won't have the size and/or strength that Jr has. It will be a completely different fight stylistically.

I wasn't being sarcastic, even though I agree Chavez Jr is a big name, don't underestimate what the judges will think if Martinez lands big shots in the rounds. He might lose the punch count but 1, 2 or 3 big shots might change the minds of the judges.

Comment

The 3 Keys to this fight are

1. Timing - If El Dinero de Vaca has a flight home the same night it will play into how fast he ends Fraudio Martinez's Career.

2. Footwork - Twinkle Toes Martinez has trained hard with Dancing with the Stars Argentina he may come in wanting to do the rumba with Chavez

3. Speed - Knowing its Martinez last fight I think El Jeffe will be gracious and not KO him early so that he can enjoy his swan song.

Comment

It's not that you agree that Chavez Jr is a big name, it's hat Chavez Jr IS the bigger name. And my point about judging was that exactly, scoring is biased towards the bigger name/better record/better connected fighters. Sergio fits none of these criterias.

I am not discrediting the sport of boxing by saying Chavez Jr doesn't stand a chance. What now, Chavez Jr=Boxing? No, Chavez Jr is a B level fighter at best and even Arum knows that. Actually Arum said so himself. And yes I am discrediting Chavez Jr completely, I don't think anything of him at all.

"Neither guy looks to me to be a great fighter and either guy could lose on the way there," Arum said of Chavez and Alvarez. "Gamboa and Lopez were elite, great fighters. If (a loss) happened there, it could certainly happen with Canelo and Chavez, who are not elite fighters."
          Dissed his own fighter, just get a shot at a GBP fighter.

Comment

I think Chavez is going to change is style completely for this fight and try to surprise Martinez. That seems to be the pattern with Martinez' recent opponents. Call me crazy, but I think he'll try to box more like he did against Manfredo and use his height to try to keep Martinez at bay. He might even force Martinez to be the aggressor. You can't win against Martinez coming forward.

Comment

What now, Chavez Jr=Boxing? No,
              Without Chavez, Boxing is just Fisticuffs.

Chavez Jr is Boxing.

Comment

It's not that you agree that Chavez Jr is a big name, it's hat Chavez Jr IS the bigger name. And my point about judging was that exactly, scoring is biased towards the bigger name/better record/better connected fighters. Sergio fits none of these criterias.

I am not discrediting the sport of boxing by saying Chavez Jr doesn't stand a chance. What now, Chavez Jr=Boxing? No, Chavez Jr is a B level fighter at best and even Arum knows that. Actually Arum said so himself. And yes I am discrediting Chavez Jr completely, I don't think anything of him at all.

Dissed his own fighter, just get a shot at a GBP fighter.
                I'm speaking of the judges perception.

Second, you can discredit him all you want, does't mean it's factual. Just because people repeat something 100 times doesn't make it true.

I admit, a few years ago this was a laughable fight, now I'm not so sure. I could be wrong but I think you will be surprised by this fight.

Comment

Originally posted by THE REED™ View Post
                  Chavez Jr. needs to CUT THE RING OFF, and not just follow Martinez around, don't give him anywhere to go.
                  This! My biggest question regarding this is, just how big will the ring be? I know for a fact that Arum wasn't even going to begin to pursue negotiations for this fight, without having a financial advantage.

On top of that, Im sure that his fighter got as much of the upper hand as possible. That said, Im wondering if the ring will be as small as it was in the Lee fight, to favor Julio.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                    See, I don't know if that is true. I understand the whole "effective aggressiveness" but something inside of me tells me that Chavez is going to be fighting the up hill fight.

Judges are weird that way, sometimes the aggressive fighter get's the benefit of the doubt, sometimes they like the slicker guy. I think because Martinez is the bigger name, they will give him some rounds early on if he can land just one or two big shots per round.
                    I'm not sure if Sergio's in that much of a safety zone, since he's been known and not too far removed from weird stuff happening during and after his fights.

Between him and Julio, Jr. is the bigger name and there are big plans for him in the future, unlike Martinez who is a dangerous older fighter who cant seem to get big fights (excluding this one).

Sergio has been hit with 8-counts for bogus knockdowns in the first Williams fight, the Pavlik fight, Macklin fight, and not to mention those circus stunts in the Cintron fight. Let's not forget about some of the wild decisions that he's been on the short end of.

With that said, Julio may get credit for stalking this dude, and as its been mentioned, Sergio does take those breaks during fights. Not trying to argue your point down, or anything, but this could be another decision that Sergio will fall victim to, especially when it comes to whose the bigger name between him and Julio.

Comment

Originally posted by MeanestNiceGuy View Post
                      This! My biggest question regarding this is, just how big will the ring be? I know for a fact that Arum wasn't even going to begin to pursue negotiations for this fight, without having a financial advantage.

On top of that, Im sure that his fighter got as much of the upper hand as possible. That said, Im wondering if the ring will be as small as it was in the Lee fight, to favor Julio.
                      Since this is a championship unification match, I can only see it taking place in a normal-sized ring and not that match-box that Chavez/Lee took place in.

Comment

Working...
                      X