Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Boxing World's Predictions - Floyd Mayweather v Miguel Cotto

The Boxing World's Predictions - Floyd Mayweather v Miguel Cotto

A Look Ahead to Floyd Mayweather vs Miguel Cotto - by Ryan McHugh

We are now less than a month away from one of the most anticipated fights of the year, when America’s hottest talent Floyd Mayweather collides with Puerto Rico’s Miguel Cotto at the Garden arena of the MGM Grand, Las Vegas on 5 May. For the second time in consecutive fights, Mayweather enters as the challenger as opposed to the champion. Last time out, he was fighting Victor Ortiz at 147lbs for the WBC welterweight world title, this time he goes up in weight to challenge Miguel Cotto for his 154lb WBA belt - the very same belt Cotto successfully defended last year in a bitter grudge match against arch-rival Antonio Margarito, gaining redemption in the process.

Cotto looks like a renewed fighter under new trainer Pedro Luis Diaz, who has brought out another side of his charge - in his last fight against Margarito he displayed skills rarely seen of him, putting together combinations and showing some fantastic movement that was non-existent with the Cotto of old, particulrly the way he kept spinning away from the ropes when Margarito seemed to have him backed up. This doesn’t necessarily show that Cotto has what it takes to beat Mayweather, but to me it shows that Diaz is a man who has what it takes to construct an intricate gameplan to suit Cotto, depending on the opponent. More importantly, it proves that Cotto is willing to listen and possesses the ability to box a beautiful fight rather than turning every bout into a war.

The task is a large one though, as Mayweather keeps holding onto that undefeated record and shows no signs of slipping up. Floyd has picked up an army of critics over the years, whether it be those claiming he is avoiding someone, or those who simply complain he doesn’t possess a fan-friendly style. In his past couple of fights though, he has begun to display hints that he is ready to show the public the side to Floyd Mayweather that everybody wants to see, or as Nazeem Richardson so brilliantly put it "Floyd will sprout wings and a tail and turn into a dragon". Against Shane Mosley he was absolutely dominant - he got tagged in the second round with a huge right hand, but recovered quickly and the blow seemed to infuriate him and bring out the side to him which Nazeem had predicted. For 10 long rounds he taught Shane a boxing lesson and on several occasions the fight could easily have been stopped.

The dragon once again unfurled its wings in his next fight against Victor Ortiz. Ortiz obviously had it in his head from the get-go that he was going to try to beat Mayweather with rough-house tactics, backed up by constant leading with the head and intentional head butts he was throwing. In the fourth round, Ortiz nailed Floyd with a huge headbutt that caused referee Joe Cortez to step in and deduct a point from him. If the intention was to rattle Mayweather, it succeeded,only in bringing out his ruthless side - while Joe Cortez was signalling to the time keeper and Ortiz was trying to kiss and make up, Mayweather brushed him away and landed a left-right combination that sent the champion flying to the canvas. Ortiz never looked like regaining his feet and was waved off by Joe Cortez after failing to beat the count.

The question is, can Floyd take an aggressive approach with a guy like Cotto, who now campaigns at a weight seven pounds higher than Floyd, is known as an excellent pressure fighter, and who neutralises his opponents with vicious body shots. Only time will tell what tactics Floyd will deploy.

It’s an intriguing match up for sure and one that’s more than deserved for a proud warrior like Miguel Cotto. He is guaranteed to walk away with a career-high purse, but you can bet your life that his number-one priority is a win against Mayweather - something that cannot be said for many of Floyd’s past opponents.

Here are predictions from our writers, forum members and the pros of the boxing world.

Boxing World

Callum Johnson, Professional Boxer
    I see Mayweather winning a comfortable points win maybe even late stoppage I just can't see any one testing him he in a class of his own, Mayweather

John McCallum Jnr, Professional Boxer
    I can't wait for this fight, I'm a big Mayweather fan. I think Cotto will be dangerous early but Mayweather will win a clear points decision. Mayweather

Rick Glaser, Professional Boxing Businessman
    Mayweather, easy - speed kills and Cotto can no longer get out of the way. Cotto is on the back nine and heading toward the clubhouse during this one-sided fight. Mayweather

Read More: http://www.ringnews24.com/index.php/...#ixzz1sgFTRAln

Post in the thread in my sig for a chance to win 1 billion by predicting the result, please read the first post for details etc first.

Thanks.

Comment

Cheers for the link Rob, hopefully it'll be a good fight.

Comment

Working...
      X