No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Mike Alvarado: Nothing Left To Prove

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Mike Alvarado: Nothing Left To Prove

By Thomas Gerbasi - If fate made a different turn, WBO junior welterweight champion Mike Alvarado might have been on this Saturday’s UFC 166 card in Houston, and not headlining the HBO boxing event in Denver against Ruslan Provodnikov that same night.

He was that good a wrestler when he was a teenager, winning two state championships for Skyview High School. But when the time came to decide whether to go to college or take another route, he took that other route, lacing on boxing gloves and beginning on a career that led him to a world championship in 2013.

As for mixed martial arts, Alvarado says “Once I got so deep into the boxing game, I was really just focused on making my name in boxing. Maybe if MMA was big as it is now when I finished high school, I think maybe I would have joined MMA, but I think this is my calling. I’ve always been a boxer.”

And a helluva boxer at that. But does he ever think how dangerous he could have been with his wrestling ability and being able to hit opponents with four ounce gloves?

“Right?” he laughs. “Hell yeah. That would be brutal.”

Brutal could describe the 33-year-old’s career to this point. In a game where safety-first became the key phrase for up and comers, Alvarado specialized in safety-last. That made him a popular attraction among the hardcore fight set, but the call to that next level never seemed to come, despite a gaudy unbeaten record. Some of that was self-inflicted thanks to some jail time over the years, but even after he got on the straight and narrow, he didn’t seem to get the breaks other fighters got. [Click Here To Read More]

Sounds like alvarado is gonna box smart and limit unnecessary exchanges with ruslan

Comment

Originally posted by Southpawology View Post
      Sounds like alvarado is gonna box smart and limit unnecessary exchanges with ruslan
      That's his best bet and if he does that for 12 rounds he wins but can you really see him not engaging in a slug fest with Prov, even for a couple of rounds? Dude is a warrior, I think his pride will come out and he'll start swinging for the fences at some point

Comment

Alvarado should box, but he needs to do it in an offensive way forcing Provodnikov back because Provodnikov can only fight one way.

Alvarado is clearly the more sound boxer but he is not a defensive wizard and just giving ground will let the come forward guy play to his strength giving him a chance he really shouldn't be allowed to have.

Comment

Originally posted by King- View Post
          That's his best bet and if he does that for 12 rounds he wins but can you really see him not engaging in a slug fest with Prov, even for a couple of rounds? Dude is a warrior, I think his pride will come out and he'll start swinging for the fences at some point
          There will definitely be some spots in the fight where a slugfest breaks out especially with mike in front of his hometown fans he will want to put on a show, he just better hope his chin can hold up when it happens.

Comment

Mike has a lot to prove after running for his life against Rios

Comment

Basically saying he gonna try to avoid Ruslan all night if possible.

Ruslan will Hurt Alvardo bad in this fight, all we need is another runner in boxing.

Comment

ruslan doesn't move his damn head and doesn't jab at all, he's not brandon rios at all, wouldn't be superised if mike stops him late.

Comment

Alvarado knows he needs to be impressive in either a win or a loss as we have seen as of late going out on your shield in a loss does not hurt your career infact it may make you a bigger star. The reality is this guy just got to massive payday's a boring fight doesn't keep him there..Mike is a workman's fighter. The workman loves brutality in larger numbers than technicality..heck just look at the FOTY candidates the last few years they've not been technical bouts at all.

Comment

Alvarado is not Bradley. He cant avoid exchanges evem if he wanted too. He will pump the jab and right hand to keep distance but at the end of the day they are gonna slug it out and Alvarado will come out on top of another fight of the year canididate.

Arum will have no choice but to give him more respect and give him Bradley or Pac. But knowing Arum hed make Alavarado rematch Rios which is not right. Alavarado deserves respect and the big paydays!

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Working...
                    X