• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roach: "We'll knock out Cotto in TEN rounds"

ROACH QUIETLY PREDICTS A PACQUIAO WIN IN TEN
    Ben Thompson
    9/11/2009

Although world-class trainer Freddie Roach readily admits that Miguel Cotto will be the most difficult fight to date for pound-for-pound champion Manny Pacquiao, his confidence in his star pupil remains unwavering. At yesterday's press conference to kickoff the promotional tour, a fan shouted out to Roach, asking for his prediction for the fight. Without saying a word, Roach simply smiled and held up ten fingers, hinting that the bout would not go past the tenth round.

In previous interviews, Roach has offered nothing but praise for the Puerto Rican superstar, admitting that Cotto's size and strength would likely prevent a knockout victory. "This is the hardest fight of our life. I believe that 100%. I don't think we can win by knock out this time. I think we will win via a decision. This guy is a game, tough guy. He has already been in camp for three weeks. If he wins this fight everything bad that has happened in his career goes away. This is the fight of his life," Roach stated as he spoke to Scott Dryden of profighting-fans.com.

The fact that Roach suggested that the fight wouldn't go the distance is a stark contrast to what he's been saying thus far. Now that he's reunited with Pacquiao after last speaking to him nearly four weeks ago, perhaps Roach is feeling more confident knowing that training will begin shortly. "We begin September 20th and that will give us eight weeks, which is our normal period of training. We're already running in the mornings, but I don't want to start too early. We always start eight weeks before and that's what we will do," Roach added.

With the promotional tour officially started, it appears that both Pacquiao and Roach are now on the same page as they begin to focus on the task at hand come November 14th. Having already predicted the outcome of Pacquiao's fights with Ricky Hatton and Oscar De La Hoya, it will be truly amazing if another one of Roach's predictions comes to fruition. If Pacquiao can stop Cotto in ten, he'll leave little room for argument that he truly is the best pound-for-pound boxer on the planet.

Source: http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content5659.html
    Yes
    28.95%
    No
    55.26%
    Roach is no prophet, Teddy Atlas is
    15.79%

Roach is looney fi he thinks they will KO Cotto.

And in this fight I see it the opposite of most people, the more rounds it goes twh worst for Pacquiao!!!!!!

Comment

the guy is a genious,im already convinced of this. hes like rain man

Comment

Originally posted by Ch@mpBox@PR View Post
        nd in this fight I see it the opposite of most people, the more rounds it goes twh worst for Pacquiao!!!!!!
        To be perfectly fair, though - you would say that, wouldn't you?

Comment

Originally posted by Man In Black View Post
          To be perfectly fair, though - you would say that, wouldn't you?
          Nope!!!!!!

This **** is simple either Cotto KOs him or Manny wins a UD, i dont see how eitehr guy cn way the other way around!!!!!!

Comment

Nope!!!!!!

This **** is simple either Cotto KOs him or Manny wins a UD, i dont see how eitehr guy cn way the other way around!!!!!!
            I was referring to the part about the late rounds, not Pacquiao stopping Cotto.

If Manny can get that deep into the fight, I think he'll have the upper hand.

Comment

Nope!!!!!!

you're gonna be a fun target if manny does win by stoppage.
              Last edited by Idgas; 09-11-2009, 03:03 PM.

Comment

This is just simly a very competitive bout. Pacquiao's speed will make the fight look a little like the first 3-4 rds of Judah vs. Cotto. The difference will be that Pacquiao has more endurance and heart then Judah,...and also his punch accuracy maintains through fights. I think initially the first part of the fight will be difficult for Cotto. Then the fight may become difficult for Pacquiao,...if he starts getting hit(especially with body shots).
                I see the cut possibly reopening for Cotto. This may very well be how he loses. If it opens and blood starts to flow he is in all kinds of trouble.
                I see him as a slightly more destructive puncher than Pacquiao. But Pacquiao hits well too. Hard enough anyway.
                Another big question,...how Pacquiao adjust if Cotto can neutralize the speed with the jab, good timing and cutting off the ring.

My prediction: Pacquiao wins in rds 7-9. I think Cotto is going to cut over the eye. I also think that Pacquiao will get dropped somewhere along the way and will have to dig dip to survive that round. Cotto is ruthless and aggressive and Pacquiao has never seen anything like this before. Tough fight to call!!!!

Comment

Roach is a prophet. And a expect more prophecies after they beat Cotto within 10 rounds

Comment

you guys need to learn how to read, he said the fight wont last 10 rds, but he didnt said pac will ko cotto, cuz he know is cotto who will ko pac by the 8th rd

left hook to the body and manny will go down just like delahoya vs bhop gasping for air. mark my words people

Comment

Working...
                    X