No announcement yet.

Why Kell Brook deserves more respect than Floyd Mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crazylegs77 View Post
    Brooks clinching was reactive, Porter was bull rushing in flailing his arms.

Mayweathers holding was a tactic to avoid fighting inside.

Dont get why some people cant see that. They complain about Brook but guys like Ward or Mayweather is a crafty veteran, masterful boxer.
    Yes, there's always that double standard when it comes to Floyd and Ward.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom2014 View Post
      Yes, there's always that double standard when it comes to Floyd and Ward.
      LOL you cant talk about double standards you are full of them , actually you full quadruple standards especially with pommy fighters .

Comment

I rewatched the Brook-Porter fight and counted a total of 158 clinches, which IMO were almost exclusively initiated by Brook. After watching Floyd-Maidana II on a big screen TV, I feel that Floyd clinched quite a lot but still probably about half that many times.

The general consensus of fan reaction when Porter and his dad complained was STFU. Porter was doing what Maidana wanted to do against Floyd, which was get inside and work the body and head from the inside. Brook clamped his arms on virtually every attempt, rendering his punching mostly ineffective.

The referee in the Brook-Porter was Pat Russell, who did not break the fighters quickly the way Bayless did. Russell made some comments about holding but never took any firm actions or deducted points. I don't think this made the fight better for the inside fighter, who was Porter. Brook was strong enough to hold Porters arms so that his efforts to punch yielded few results.

Fans wanted Bayless to allow Maidana to work longer inside without breaking them, and I actually agree, after watching the fight on big screen, that he was too quick. But would that have meant better scoring punches from Maidana? I think that once a fighter has a firm clasp on his opponents arms, he can try to punch but those shots will lack strength and be meaningless. Mayweather probably got the idea to clinch as much as he did after watching Brook's win.

There is probably a happy median about when the referee should break, but there needs to be firmer and clearer guidelines established about this and have this clearly explained to fighters before the fight and points deducted.

Comment

Originally posted by NEELZ View Post
          I rewatched the Brook-Porter fight and counted a total of 158 clinches, which IMO were almost exclusively initiated by Brook. After watching Floyd-Maidana II on a big screen TV, I feel that Floyd clinched quite a lot but still probably about half that many times.

The general consensus of fan reaction when Porter and his dad complained was STFU. Porter was doing what Maidana wanted to do against Floyd, which was get inside and work the body and head from the inside. Brook clamped his arms on virtually every attempt, rendering his punching mostly ineffective.

The referee in the Brook-Porter was Pat Russell, who did not break the fighters quickly the way Bayless did. Russell made some comments about holding but never took any firm actions or deducted points. I don't think this made the fight better for the inside fighter, who was Porter. Brook was strong enough to hold Porters arms so that his efforts to punch yielded few results.

Fans wanted Bayless to allow Maidana to work longer inside without breaking them, and I actually agree, after watching the fight on big screen, that he was too quick. But would that have meant better scoring punches from Maidana? I think that once a fighter has a firm clasp on his opponents arms, he can try to punch but those shots will lack strength and be meaningless. Mayweather probably got the idea to clinch as much as he did after watching Brook's win.

There is probably a happy median about when the referee should break, but there needs to be firmer and clearer guidelines established about this and have this clearly explained to fighters before the fight and points deducted.

i was thinking this the whole time i was actually getting pissed in the early rounds on how much brook clinched i wanted porter to turn it into a mma fight.

Comment

and really you gotta be the biggest brit homer to make this post, what happned to your goat hatton??? oh thats right mayweather ended his career, floyd has fought many great fighters brook has fought barely any up comers stop it, brook would get destroyed by khan.

Comment

I like brook and rooted for him against porter but people need to stop making these kinds of thread. He's good but he needs to still face more top welters before we make huge assumptions

Comment

Porter initiated most of the clinches, as he always does.

Watch previous Brook fights, he doesn't clinch. Watch basically any Porter fight and you will see a clinch fest....his wild swing, head first style creates clinches in every fight.

I don't really have an issue with holding guys who are dirty on the inside or headbutt regularly, it's not great to watch but don't let those types of fighters get away with dirty tactics.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K View Post
                  and really you gotta be the biggest brit homer to make this post, what happned to your goat hatton??? oh thats right mayweather ended his career, floyd has fought many great fighters brook has fought barely any up comers stop it, brook would get destroyed by khan.
                  And he has been on Floyds nuts ever since , its pathetic to witness the cringe worthy sour grapes by some posters in this forum .

Comment

This thread title is even more relevant today even than it was when I made it!

Mayweather would either avoid Golovkin or demand he move down to 147.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
                      - When Kell Brook won the title from Shawn Porter, he didn't have a crooked ref protecting him and allowing him to clamp his opponent's arm

- Brook didn't demand Porter wear gloves with extra padding

- Brook was fighting IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY in his opponent's home country, something Floyd has NEVER had the courage to do

- Brook never pretended to be bitten when he wanted a rest or time to recover

- Brook never pretended to be pushed down to get the ref to deduct a point

- Brook doesn't beat up women (as far as I know)
                      Cause Brook is setting himself up to take an easy loss, a convenient way to lose his 0, that makes him greater than Floyd?

Comment

Working...
                      X