No announcement yet.

4 Point Scoring Criteria

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Point Scoring Criteria

The 4 point scoring criteria is stupid. It really is all just part of asking who took more damage?

Ring general ship is just getting yourself into the position to score, but it means dick if you aren't throwing and connecting. A guy who pins his opponents on the ropes for all 3 minutes of a round but doesn't score did a good job on ring generalship, but it doesn't matter.
    Clean effective punching and effectiveness aggressiveness are the actual punching part that scores the points to win rounds for you.
    Defense is the other half of the equation, limiting the amount of damage your opponent does to you.

The real question of who wins a round is well put by Max Kellerman: Who would you rather have been in that round? They get a 10-9.

It was 5 point wasn't it? They used that system before there was the 10 point system.

Wait! Nevermind. I got it.

Comment

Originally posted by warp1432 View Post
      It was 5 point wasn't it? They used that system before there was the 10 point system.

Wait! Nevermind. I got it.
      Thumbs down. Run along child.

Comment

Ring Generalship is more than just setting up your offense - it includes controlling the pace of the bout, your defense (footwork) and ability to give the impression that you're in control. That's what a general does, no? Just my take.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
          Ring Generalship is more than just setting up your offense - it includes controlling the pace of the bout, your defense (footwork) and ability to give the impression that you're in control. That's what a general does, no? Just my take.
          Okay, well that may be... I can agree that ring generalship can contribute to your defensive stance and posture as well, but...

Either way, that doesn't change my mind that there should not be points for ring generalship alone.

Moving to the right of a southpaw is the right thing to do, but if you are walking into his right hooks, it doesn't really matter.

Damage, damage, damage... that is what it simplifies down to.

Comment

Ring generalship is more about doin what you want. Defense only counts if your opponent is throwin a lot and his shots are visibly blocked or dodged. Clean punchin speaks for itself. Effective aggression basically translates to comin forward and gettin off first. Like Lederman says, it's mostly about the clean punchin. And if official judges can't clearly decide at the end of a rd who won, make it even. Don't automatically throw it to the champ, hometown guy, more active guy, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by DWiens421 View Post
              Okay, well that may be... I can agree that ring generalship can contribute to your defensive stance and posture as well, but...

Either way, that doesn't change my mind that there should not be points for ring generalship alone.

Moving to the right of a southpaw is the right thing to do, but if you are walking into his right hooks, it doesn't really matter.

what happens if neither guy does any damage?

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                Agreed.

It's not just just setting up offense. That's horribly wrong.

Ring Generalship is who is controlling the pace of the fight. Rather, who is subjecting their game plan and controlling the ring more than the other fighter.

You are correct.

Comment

The 4 point scoring criteria is stupid. It really is all just part of asking who took more damage?

Ring general ship is just getting yourself into the position to score, but it means dick if you aren't throwing and connecting. A guy who pins his opponents on the ropes for all 3 minutes of a round but doesn't score did a good job on ring generalship, but it doesn't matter.
                  Clean effective punching and effectiveness aggressiveness are the actual punching part that scores the points to win rounds for you.
                  Defense is the other half of the equation, limiting the amount of damage your opponent does to you.

The real question of who wins a round is well put by Max Kellerman: Who would you rather have been in that round? They get a 10-9.
                  I agree mostly with this, but the criteria is clean punching, not clean effective punching, I hate hearing Merchant always get it wrong. Also disagree about what Kellerman says about who would you rather be, that is no indication of who won the round.

Comment

There is an order of importance to the scoring criteria:

1. Clean Punching.
                    2. Effective Aggression
                    3. Ring Generalship
                    4. Defense.

Theoretically each should by 25 percent of a total score but clean punching being by FAR the most important with an order to each criteria.

Effective Aggression is a scoring criteria. Workrate is not.

Comment

Working...
                    X