• Show
Clear All

Nicolino Locche, Joan Guzman

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
      Nicolino Locche, Joan Guzman
      Locche - Now that's a name drop.

Comment

from what i have seen of him...charley burley was very effective with it....He rolled right hands and left hooks with his shoulders. Wish there was more footage.

James Toney has the most effortless, smooth shoulder roll.

Locche, Mayweather, Benton are up there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronsky View Post
          In my opinion. George Benton followed by James Toney.

Floyd's got a great shoulder roll but its too fidgety for my taste. Its not mantequilla smooth ya'know. Not saying its not effective because obviously that's a lie but floyds body language when doing it seems so forced, too speedy, where as in George Benton's and James Toney's was perfectly effortless and as opposed to FM's they were used at all distsnces where as in FM can use it at all distances but was mostly utilized only in the phonebooth.

Nomination: George Benton

Edit: I also detest whenever someone uses a shoulder roll and automatically people say hes trying to be like floyd. As if the style never existed and was mastered before him.
          Andre berto y Adrienna broner hahahaha I got u lmafo

Comment

Prime James Toney was very special

Comment

George Benton was the originator of "Mayweather's" style of the Shoulder roll but despite that he got hit a whole lot more than Mayweather does.

Comment

Archie Moore incorperated it into head movements and body moves along with defense and offense and it served him well as his legs aged and he lost mobility.
                Both he and Toney used the technique to its greatest advantage people like Mayweather utilize it more for defense. Floyd rarely comes off the position to let combinations flow. He's become a one punch at a time fighter, a precaution incase someone has the brains and guts to punch with him! Floyds smarter in his senior age! Especially fighting youth=(inexperience) Ray.

Comment

Mayweather doesn't really even predominantly use it. Not really even in the discussion for best IMO.

Comment

Benton easily, but its not a "shoulder roll" its the shell, at least sound like you know what you're talking about...

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
                      Benton easily, but its not a "shoulder roll" its the shell, at least sound like you know what you're talking about...
                      I don't think the label, whether the Philly Shell or shoulder roll is that important. Maybe he's talking about just the left shoulder roll alone, and not the full shell defense, which incorporates the right hand into it just as much. Mayweather has it down a little better than Benton did, though he was certainly very, very good at it.

I think Toneys is very good, arguably the best, as so much of his defense was offensive based. He used it primarily to set up his offense, not just to defend. McCallum had a great roll, counter right too.

Johnny Famechon and Lionel Rose used it very well, as did a lot of other lesser known champs.

Best ever though, just the roll? I'd go with Toneys because it was as much an offensive weapon as it was defensive. Then Mayweather. Though they are easily interchangeable. However, Toneys for me will always be up among the top as it was always about a fluid change to getting off combinations.
                      Last edited by BennyST; 12-29-2013, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X