Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do boxers bounce back from devastating losses?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kyshenko team View Post
    I wonder what ur trying to say.

I also wonder if u purposely deleted the part where I change my answer to Amir Khan...

Comment

Ortiz bounced back, Khan bounced back, Wladimir bounced back, Darchinyan bounced back ... Several guy have bounced back from bad loses, but hey, a loss is not the end of the world.

The most important thing when coming off a loss is to be mentally strong, and that is a problem for most boxers, especially when they believe the things that media says about them when they are still "good". Media and people make some boxers believe that they are the best and that there is no way they can lose, but when they do, they are not strong enough to take it and sometimes they just crumble, a perfect example is Kelly Pavlik. Pavlik was the best middleweight, undefeated and praised. He lost against Hopkins, but hey no problem, the fight was at 170 pounds, a lot more than Pavlik was used to. Then he got Rubio and beat him and he believed he was the best again, and then he was defeated again by Martinez and well we all know how that ended.

Some guys on the other hand learn from their defeats, such as Wladimir. The guy had flaws in his game, and realized that he had to change his style if he was going to be a great boxer. Wlad is as good as he is because his loses helped him to improve.

About the tune up fights, IDK, as I've said it's about being mentally strong. Some guys can comeback without a tune up fight against difficult boxers, for example Montiel, he lost against Nonito and returned against Cermeño. Some others need tune ups to regain confidence, so there is not a certain rule about this.
      IMO most boxers should get a tune up fight to regain confidence because they're not enough mentally strong, but there are some exceptions that can return and fight against strong boxers.

Comment

Originally posted by Medved View Post
        You missed 2 weeks ago when some UK Bookies had Haye and Wlad as 50/50 when Wlad shouldve been 6/1 , lots of ppl made money off that bet.

Mitchell has only 1 Decision win in his last 10 fights. Rest have been KO.

I dont know how good Murrays chin is, I would avoid this fight but if I had say $100 to bet I would do 75$ Mitchell straight up win and 25$ Mitchell by KO
        See, told you those UK bookies dont know what they talking about, I bet only $30 on Mitchell by KO but got 7/1 odds Like I said in previous post, these bookies buy into the hype too much, thx 4 da $180 profit bruv!

Comment

Pac came back from losses and its looked upon as somehow suprising or suspicious. But its more common than anyone might think. Yes Wlad comes instantly to mind. Haye came back from a TKO at least and came back better.

Comment

Shane after losing to both Vernon and Winky. he went on to win titles

most people dont though. JT, PWill, Tito, Vargas, Hatton, Lacy etc. Alexander not looking to good lately

we are yet to see JuanMa, Kirkland,

Comment

Glad I had £20 on Mitchell KO/TKO at 6/1 :-)

Quality tells!

Comment

amir khan

went from a fast puncher with a glass chin

to a super fast boxer with deceptive knockout power
                stunning fast combos

and a good (if not great) chin- mainly down to superior conditioning

not quite on pacman's level

but maybe........just maybe

Comment

Some bounce back and become better, some bounce back and have some solid wins but never fully recover. Others don't really do **** after their first loss.

Pacquiao obviously did well after his first 2 losses, both by KO. Fernando Vargas and Meldrick Taylor had some success and good performances after their first losses (Taylor more so than Vargas), but neither of them were 100% of what they had been. It looks to be the same for Cotto.

Barrera went 2-1 against Morales and beat Hamed all after his two losses to Junior Jones. DQ Technicalities aside, Jones stopped him.

Hearns had pretty much all but one of his biggest wins after he was stopped by Leonard. Benitez, Duran, Hill.

Originally posted by tennis-legend View Post
                  amir khan

went from a fast puncher with a glass chin

to a super fast boxer with deceptive knockout power
                  stunning fast combos

and a good (if not great) chin- mainly down to superior conditioning

not quite on pacman's level

but maybe........just maybe
                  You are really, really overrating Khan. He's unlikely to be anything more than a decent champion/title-holder. He's done a nice job at bouncing back from the Prescott debacle but his skills and ring IQ are really lacking for a guy who some expect to be some P4P star.

Comment

Jhonny Gonzalez is arecent example ko losses to Izzy Vazquez and Nishioka and then he goes to Japan and kos Hozumi and is looking good again

Comment

Alexis Arguello and Henry Armstrong both loss by stoppage very early in their careers.

Comment

Working...
                      X