Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the US is serious about cracking down illegal file sharing sites..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
    If you don't remember this logo:

You're too fucking young.

Oh and they were wrong about that too.
    DIY Music FTW anyways.

The best stuff I've ever listened to was from bands nobody knows of.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Comment

Originally posted by RunW/Knives View Post
      DIY Music FTW anyways.

The best stuff I've ever listened to was from bands nobody knows of.
      Secret bands?

Home taping was wicked. Used to get a mix tape of maybe 20 bands and I'd end up buying most of the back catalogue of at least five or six of them.

Comment

Secret bands?

Home taping was wicked. Used to get a mix tape of maybe 20 bands and I'd end up buying most of the back catalogue of at least five or six of them.
        Top ****ing secret to you pig.

But yeah this issue is ******ed overall. I'm going to have to just agree with Mack in that he's right. Seems to be a corporate issue.

Forget the idea of "theft" it's more like power/control.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Comment

Originally posted by RunW/Knives View Post
          Top ****ing secret to you pig.

But yeah this issue is ******ed overall. I'm going to have to just agree with Mack in that he's right. Seems to be a corporate issue.

Forget the idea of "theft" it's more like power/control.
          With the music industry the issue had several fronts.

Firstly with the aid of technology some savvy marketeers managed to convince millions of people to update their music collections by buying all these shiny new CDs. The giants of the music industry made massive amounts of money without having to reinvest in the musicians, all they had to do was repackage it and pay a royalty. Absolutely risk free. Now this situation wasn't going to last forever. Eventually everybody who had a large vinyl collection would run out of records to replace in the new format. Sales were dropping (actually sales growth was slowing... very different) and the industry needed a scapegoat.

The second factor is that most music is toss. I'm serious, most bands never produce anything worth a damn and of the minority that do only a select few produce full albums without filler. The music industry is conscious of that. The way bands are marketed is to throw out a decent first, maybe second record and put pressure on the bands to complete third and fourth albums and fulfill their contracts. If the second, third and fourth records were shite, doesn't matter. You use the name, you put out singles of the very best material and you push it heavily through juke boxes and the radio, and later through MTV. People buy the albums based on the singles and the record companies make money of duff products.

All of a sudden people are taping records and sharing them. All of a sudden somebody can listen to a whole record before they decide to throw cold cash at it. And if it's dog-arse then they can give it a pass. That's why "Home taping" was "killing music". It was "killing music (companies' control over how people access the product)". File sharing made the whole thing worse. Now people could go online and sample, and here's an example I pulled out of the air, Metallica's total abortion of a record, Load, and realise the whole thing is monkey-fuck and give it a mess.

Everyone felt real sorry for Metallica. Only ONE helicopter Lars? Man, I better go buy two copies of your sub-par follow up to one of the best metal records of all time.

I don't download by the way, I always buy DVDs, video games, music etc new if I can. Latest purchase was Bolt Thrower's latest album, Those Once Loyal. It's like 21 years went by and nobody told Bolt Thrower!

Comment

Secret bands?

The quality was so hit and miss but you could find some real gems.

I remember in the early 90's when cd's took over from the bulky cassettes.

I remember working at a record store and buying used cassettes off of customers for 25 cents.

I think the Rhapsody model works so well, just surprised more people don't do it.
            Much better than a 30 second clip on itunes or worrying about getting caught downloading things.

Comment

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post
              If I buy an artist's work, I'd like to think some of that money at least goes to the artists themselves.

That's the big reason I don't do it with music.

For fights that I can't get any other way, I'd definitely download them.

****, hell there is enough free ***** out there for anyone without looking too hard at all.
              Most of the music goes to the record labels. I used to think the same way you do, but now I'm too far gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudyo View Post
                Most of the music goes to the record labels. I used to think the same way you do, but now I'm too far gone.

I understand that and actually agree that they get the bulk, but when my choice is doing something illegal or doing something that cost me a few bucks and is more convenient, I am inclined to do the latter.

A few bucks a month for me is nothing compare to depending on a shady site.
                And perhaps at least a little bit of that money will supplement the concert incomes of the artists.
                Last edited by jreckoning; 11-26-2010, 03:22 PM.

Comment

I would think US Gov. "Immigration and Customs Enforcement ' would have better things to do.

Torrents and streaming sites are next.

Comment

how is sharing a song a thread to the US security?

Comment

For me it's fortunite the are leaving the boxing file sharing sites alone. It is the big $ of the movie and music industry that has the laywers and lobbists to make waves and force closures of sites.

Comment

Working...
                      X