Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do some boxers fight with their hands down?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hallaqsillaq View Post
    Had to grimace. Ewwwww.

But then again my roomates used to do the grimace in college whenever they saw me drinking malta. Or they'd question my dunking toasted bread and butter in chocolate or something and say it was nasty and finish of their claim by chewing on a donut recently dunked in wate.. I mean dunking donuts coffee.
    You from the UK? Sounds like some UK delicatessens.

Comment

some guys around here will be claiming he's ducking mat hatton next

Comment

It's harder to read/anticipate a punch from a fighter who has his hands down, it messes with timing.

Comment

Originally posted by WESS View Post
          ****, you may be right.
          I think it does. Aside from all the comfort stuff, like Kiaba said, it throws people off. I think it also invites your opponent to engage cause you look "vulnerable".

Comment

Originally posted by Pretty Boy Swag View Post
            I've been watching Prince Naseem and Sergio Martinez a bunch lately and their style is pretty unique because for good amount of the time they have their hands down.

I know they want to showboat a little. But again maybe not because they still keep their hands down when they r in trouble. Like Martinez in round 12 against Chavez Jr. he still decided to keep his hands down.

When Prince Naseem was clearly losing against barrea his style remained the same hands down....

So I'm just wondering is there any good things about fighting with your hands down? I know u can relax more but do you get better angles with ur punches? I don't know.

I know Pretty Boy Floyd fights with his hands down sometimes with that head pull method to seduce his opponents with. But he mostly has his hands up or at least in his philly shell.

Some boxers do that because its harder for the opponent see the punch coming when you throw the punches from the hips.

Comment

It takes alot of energy to hold your hands up and very few boxers will be able to get away fighting hands down. If you can it will allow you to move faster but it's only for those with exceptional speed and talent...for all the others (99%) it won't work. Martinez/the young RJJ & Mohamed Ali could do it.

Comment

It's easier to see punches coming and easier to look for openings. I like fighting with my hands down. My coach does not like it but he will let me do it every now and then.

Comment

Originally posted by WESS View Post
                  Because SRL wanted to be cool and copy Roy Jones Jr who copied Sergio Martinez who we all know is cool!

Hands down, it's the thing to do when you're cool!
                  I think this is the best answer, at least the most humourous.

As for me, have had conversation with several it seems that fighters may do it for different reasons. For example, one is to free up the vision all round, another is so that he can punch from unexpected angles, another did it only when out of range to rest his shoulders, another because he felt too restricted with a conventional posture which meant that his punches would travel along a known path. Another felt he balanced better that way. Another didn't know why, he just did it.

Some probably do it for bravado, because it makes them look "macho" like a stylish haircut........
                  Last edited by edgarg; 02-08-2013, 08:03 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

because they are quick.

Comment

Working...
                    X