No announcement yet.

Wlad vs the greats

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hebi View Post
    According to boxrec Wlad has a 1" reach advantage. Ali was faster and more athletic than Wlad, but Wlad is not a slouch in those departments at all.

Light years ahead in skills? Wrong. Wlad is a tremendously skilled heavyweight with a much greater punch variety than Ali. Wlad is also a very accurate puncher, and is intelligent enough in the ring to time Ali.

Power bothers everyone. Ali was as tough as they come, but that does not mean he could not be hurt. Be realistic on every point, do not blur them to suit an overall legacy.

I believe it would be an interesting fight, one which Wlad has the tools to give Ali great problems. Ali would not be able to dance around the ring and make Wlad look like a fool as he did with many opponents. Ali had the intangibles as another poster has pointed out, and for that reason I would probably pick him to beat Wlad.
    Look no one is saying Ali wont be bothered by power. Yes he will. Everyone is bothered by power. I also agree with you , when you say that Wlad is a better puncher. Sure he is . But Ali had decent power, not exceptional but he could hurt you. But Wlad gets the edge agreed.

Speed? I am sorry I see Ali being much faster than Wlad. He was quick, very quick. I have never seen Wlad fight with a heavy even approaching the speed of Ali. And he struggled to catch Haye. I sincerely think Ali has a better defensive jab and coupled with his foot speed it will be difficult for Wlad to catch him consistently enough to outpoint him. Wlad isnt a great body puncher either. Punches to the body sap your energy, but i never saw him hitting to the body with much consistency anyway.

Ali has the intangibles and speed if I may so. Wlad has the punching power. Ali faced a variety of heavys all with different strengths and beat them all. Wlad hasn't proved himself like that(no fault of his, he is the best of the current crop).

In a fight between the two I see Wlad doing well , but ultimately getting outpointed easily especially in the late rounds and Ali winning a easy unanimous decision.

P.s :- I am sorry if I have barged into your conversation with Poet, I hope you dont mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Greatest1942 View Post
      Look no one is saying Ali wont be bothered by power. Yes he will. Everyone is bothered by power. I also agree with you , when you say that Wlad is a better puncher. Sure he is . But Ali had decent power, not exceptional but he could hurt you. But Wlad gets the edge agreed.

Speed? I am sorry I see Ali being much faster than Wlad. He was quick, very quick. I have never seen Wlad fight with a heavy even approaching the speed of Ali. And he struggled to catch Haye. I sincerely think Ali has a better defensive jab and coupled with his foot speed it will be difficult for Wlad to catch him consistently enough to outpoint him. Wlad isnt a great body puncher either. Punches to the body sap your energy, but i never saw him hitting to the body with much consistency anyway.

Ali has the intangibles and speed if I may so. Wlad has the punching power. Ali faced a variety of heavys all with different strengths and beat them all. Wlad hasn't proved himself like that(no fault of his, he is the best of the current crop).

In a fight between the two I see Wlad doing well , but ultimately getting outpointed easily especially in the late rounds and Ali winning a easy unanimous decision.

P.s :- I am sorry if I have barged into your conversation with Poet, I hope you dont mind.
      Good post!

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
        I think you gave wlad too much credit. Mainly the Wlad koing prime George.

Not only did Lyle hit tremendously hard, but Foreman was damn near the worst part of his career at that point. George at his peak isn't even losing a decision to Wlad. Not every fight is going to take place in Zaire.

And ali getting stopped? He couldn't even stop Haye. Ali had an A++ chin, even better than Vitalis.
        Where did I say or even indicate that?!? You must lack reading comprehension. I indicated that Ali would be a very tough match for Wlad, prime Ali that is. 70's Ali was far from the 60's one. He got beat up by second rate fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
          Where did I say or even indicate that?!? You must lack reading comprehension. I indicated that Ali would be a very tough match for Wlad, prime Ali that is. 70's Ali was far from the 60's one. He got beat up by second rate fighters.

Yeah, if you want to judge the whole of the 70's by a single fight in 1978 against Spinks than I would have to agree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Yeah, if you want to judge the whole of the 70's by a single fight in 1978 against Spinks than I would have to agree with you.
            I suppose Shavers was an elite fighter then?? Or even Chuvalo?! Chuvalo gave him a beating too, even in their first fight back in '66. Ali won that fight, but Chuvalo won some rounds.

Comment

I suppose Shavers was an elite fighter then?? Or even Chuvalo?! Chuvalo gave him a beating too, even in their first fight back in '66. Ali won that fight, but Chuvalo won some rounds.
              He won some rounds? Big deal! The bottom line is who won the fight. Ali beat Chuvalo with ease!

Comment

He won some rounds? Big deal! The bottom line is who won the fight. Ali beat Chuvalo with ease!
                Not in the second fight he didn't. Shavers too gave him a close fight. And it doesn't take a diploma from university to know Shavers wasn't much of a technician.

Comment

Not in the second fight he didn't. Shavers too gave him a close fight. And it doesn't take a diploma from university to know Shavers wasn't much of a technician.
                  Shavers was however arguably the hardest puncher in history and fought perhaps the best fight of his career. As I said before, the versions you're putting forth don't encompass the entire "70's Ali". If that had been the Ali from the first Frazier fight than Shavers never would have lasted so long...even with his best performance.

Comment

[FONT="Tahoma"]Shavers was however arguably the hardest puncher in history and fought perhaps the best fight of his career. As I said before, the versions you're putting forth don't encompass the entire "70's Ali". If that had been the Ali from the first Frazier fight than Shavers never would have lasted so long...even with his best performance.[/FONT]
                    I don't understand this reasoning. Maybe Ali wasn't as past it there as later, but still he got demolished. It was only his what, third fight after coming back? I'd say Shavers had even better chance to stop him.

Comment

According to boxrec Wlad has a 1" reach advantage. Ali was faster and more athletic than Wlad, but Wlad is not a slouch in those departments at all.
                      Wlad is no slouch in the speed department? HAHAHAHAHA the dude looks like Lurch on Qualudes in there :hahahaha9:

Light years ahead in skills? Wrong. Wlad is a tremendously skilled heavyweight with a much greater punch variety than Ali. Wlad is also a very accurate puncher, and is intelligent enough in the ring to time Ali.
                      Light years is dead accurate. Greater punch variety then Ali? Are you on crack? Wlad throws basically a jab and a right hand. That's it. That's his entire arsenal. Ali threw every punch in the book including hooks and uppercuts. How often does Wlad throw an uppercut? Once every 10 fights?

Power bothers everyone. Ali was as tough as they come, but that does not mean he could not be hurt.
                      Yeah, the way he was bothered by Liston and Foreman's powere Remind me again how those fights turned out.

Try to be realistic on every point, do not blur them because you're desparate for an active fighter to be your Superman.

Poet
                      Last edited by StarshipTrooper; 07-07-2011, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X