Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HOLY S**T!] Meteor injures atleast 400 people in Russia

edit: It's now at least 500.
    edit:edit: It's now at least 950.

A meteor crashing in the Urals of central Russia has reportedly injured at least 400 people, as the shockwave blew out windows and rocked buildings.

Most of those hurt suffered minor cuts and bruises but some received head injuries, Russian media report.

A fireball was seen streaking through the sky above the city of Yekaterinburg, followed by loud bangs.

Much of the impact was felt in another city, Chelyabinsk, some 200km (125 miles) to the south.

"We saw a big burst of light then went outside to see what it was and we heard a really loud thundering sound," Chelyabinsk resident Sergey Hametov told AP news agency by phone.

Officials say a large meteor partially burned up in the lower atmosphere, resulting in fragments falling earthwards.

Thousands of rescue workers have been dispatched to the area to provide help to the injured, the emergencies ministry said.

The Chelyabinsk region, about 1,500km (930 miles) east of Moscow, is home to many factories, a nuclear power plant and the Mayak atomic waste storage and treatment centre.

"There was panic," Mr Hametov added.

"People had no idea what was happening. Everyone was going around to people's houses to check if they were okay."

Another witness in Chelyabinsk told Reuters shockwaves had been felt in a 19-storey building in the city centre.

A roof at a zinc factory in Chelyabinsk also collapsed; however, it appears nobody was hurt in that incident.

In Yekaterinburg, 36-year-old resident Viktor Prokofiev was driving to work when he witnessed the event.

"It was quite dark, but it suddenly became as bright as if it was day," he was quoted by Reuters as saying.

"I felt like I was blinded by headlights."

Debris also reportedly fell on the west Siberian region of Tyumen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21468116

Damn that sonic boom was strong.

Last edited by Jam Jars; 02-15-2013, 11:36 AM.

That's too bad. May they RIP.

Ironic though, you can live safe, be careful, eat right etc. And out of the blue, a meteor drops on your head.
    Last edited by TBear; 02-15-2013, 05:49 AM.

Comment

reminds me of a similar thing that occured several decades ago named the tunguska event...

cue: the x-files theme...

Comment

lmao i would have ****in **** myself.

Comment

that's some crazy ****!

someone doesn't seem too happy the Pope quit his job

Comment

this could have been a phuck of a lot worse.

damn man.

Comment

Originally posted by jose830 View Post
              that's some crazy ****!

someone doesn't seem too happy the Pope quit his job
              on another note; Tim Dog died of a diabetic stroke yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy Ho View Post
                on another note; Tim Dog died of a diabetic stroke yesterday.
                I read about it in the throne this morning

Comment

The aliens have fired a warning shot and it's being covered up as a meteor!!!

Comment

Hope they got the calculations correct for the meteor that is half the size of a football field that is passing earth later today.

Live stream of the meteor for anyone that is bored enough.

http://www.ustream.tv/nasajpl2
                    Last edited by Jam Jars; 02-15-2013, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X