Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The scoring of the Lewis vs Holyfield fights..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Round 7 of the second fight was amazing.

Comment

I had Lewis dominating the first one and Holyfield edging the second.

Comment

I had Lewis 10-2 in the first fight and 7-5 in the much closer rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterHardtop View Post
          Just by reading the comments here, it's obvious that there are differing opinions on both fights and who won what. I was ringside for both those bouts and had Lewis winning by 9-3 in the first and 7-4-1 in the second.

It is highly subject and neither man took the initiative, although Lewis tried to. Holyfield wasn't at his best and Lewis didn't want to have his chin tested so went into defense mode. It was quite an anti-climactic fight, considering it was for THE heavyweight championship but sometimes these things happen.

I spoke to Holyfield after the first fight and he told me he believed he won but even he didn't seem convinced.
          Your comment about "iniative" is interesting. Holyfield was quoted as saying after the first fight, that Lewis "should have Knocked me out" and not let the judges decide it "if he was so much the winner."

Its kind of a sleazy bastard maker comment coming from Holyfield but its not without its merits....there are times when the champion gets a nod in a close one...and then there are times when a champion has to show the ability to finish and take it out of the judges hands completely. I think Lewis should have laid more of a beating on the bastard maker because he had the opportunity to do so and it would have put him above reproach. He allowed the judges an opportunity to question his ability to finish and uncategorically demonstrate his superiority to Holyfield and he paid the price.

I should say that imo Lewis beats any version of Holly. He was always subject to a quick Ko but probably not from the likes of Holly.
          Last edited by billeau2; 11-04-2013, 07:27 AM. Reason: comment

Comment

Lewis completely dominated the first match. It wasn't even close; Holyfield looked like an old man in there and sounded deluded afterwards.

I half expected Lewis to stop Holyfield in the return. How wrong was I?!! I didn't keep a round by round score but I think I had it 7:5 Lewis or 6:5:1 Lewis. It was a razor thin victory to my eyes; one that if it were their first fight, few would begrudge Evander holding onto his titles.

One other thing struck me in fight two; what a pasting 1991/1992 Holyfield would have dished out on that Lewis.

Comment

Speaking of should have knocked Holyfield out in the first fight, I remember Emanuel Stewart saying the same thing because he had a feeling the judges might not give them the decision. He looked over at the judges table and didn't like their body language and told Lewis to turn it up and try to finish off Holyfield because he was worried about the judges and he turned out to be right.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                Speaking of should have knocked Holyfield out in the first fight, I remember Emanuel Stewart saying the same thing because he had a feeling the judges might not give them the decision. He looked over at the judges table and didn't like their body language and told Lewis to turn it up and try to finish off Holyfield because he was worried about the judges and he turned out to be right.

I had a feeling that Lewis wasn't going to get judged fairly either......so I acted on my hunch, went down to the bookies and betted 33:1 on the draw.

I've never been so sad to pick up my winnings!!

Eugenia Williams received the main criticism. But Larry O'Connell was the bigger surprise for me; how he managed to find a draw, with all his years of experience was shocking. Especially considering he was a British judge too!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                  I had a feeling that Lewis wasn't going to get judged fairly either......so I acted on my hunch, went down to the bookies and betted 33:1 on the draw.

I've never been so sad to pick up my winnings!!

Eugenia Williams received the main criticism. But Larry O'Connell was the bigger surprise for me; how he managed to find a draw, with all his years of experience was shocking. Especially considering he was a British judge too!!
                  The explanation that seems to fit the facts would be "corruption." I don't doubt it for a minute.

Regarding the second fight, I must be crazy....I only had Holly winning a few rounds. Sure Lewis looked tired at times but he was always hitting with the jab. I didn't sit and score it punch for punch though.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                    Lol haha. Before the Klitschkos ruled the roost the knock on Lewis was that he was not a finisher, that he should have finished fights like the Holyfield affair with a KO, or at least tried harder to do so.

History being inherently revisionist....seeing how the Klitschkos proceed we seldom hear this about Lewis anymore. I always felt it was an unfair critiscism anyway. Lewis did finish quick at times but against guys who he had to watch his tendency was to sneak the overhand right in over time. Also his comp was much better than the Klitschkos and against guys like Briggs, Hollyfield, etc one could easily get caught with a big punch (in the case of Holyfield, swarmed).

Comment

lewis 10-2 in fight one, holyfield 7-5 in fight 2

Comment

Working...
                      X