Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the best axis of rotation dead centre or the spine?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the best axis of rotation dead centre or the spine?

So ive found rotating the spine more powerful than rotating from the centre of my hips.

The spine isnt too far off centre but its a little further back.

Thing is the spine is linked solidly to the shoulders via mostly bone so it tranmits the force from your hip rotation to your shoulder rotation very effeciently.

Where as the middle of the hips links to your shoulders not via your spine but by the shell of your torso ie your abdominals obliques and lower back.

Which is the official and correct way?

What do you think of spinning the spine? Do you find it more powerful also?

(Please note do not twist the spine, but rather spin the spie using your hips, spin it from the hips you should feel no strain on the spine at all)

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
    So ive found rotating the spine more powerful than rotating from the centre of my hips.

Thing is the spine is linked solidly to the shoulders via mostly bone so it tranmits the force from your hip rotation to your shoulder rotation very effeciently.

Where as the middle of the hips links to your shoulders not via your spine but by the shell of your torso ie your abdominals obliques and lower back.

(Please note do not twist the spine, but rather spin the spie using your hips, spin it from the hips you should feel no strain on the spine at all)

Is this the technique you use to throw helicopter punches where you dont even know how to stop the momentum you generate so you spin around?

Comment

the real base of power is in the sudden thrust/turning of the hips with the foot reinforcing it all through. there is a sweet spot when all movements included fire perfectly in the right timing and sequence. there is an energy that flows from your foot to your fist. that energy ball builds as it passes through your body, firing to your fist into a ball of debilitating energy so perfectly atomic to any face it might smash into.

atleast thats where the base/foundation of the power is found. you turn one over on some guys chin and some may fall because they were shockd in not seeing it. then there are the shots that you watch/see and they still drop you, those are the scary punchers.

you can't really look at any of the 'firing movements' of a right hand and say that's most important, they are all equally important, from the planted(digging in) back foot to the turning over of the fist.

Rockin..........

Comment

I'm not sure I understand what you mean Alex?

Comment

Hi Rockin thanks for your answer.

What I mean is some coaches say imagine there is a pole that goes through the top of your head, through your wind pipe, through the centre of your body and the centre of your hips, out of your scrotum and into the ground beneath you. Some coaches say pivot or spin your body and hips around this pole to punch hard.

What im saying is that dead centre might not be the best place for the pole, Im saying it might be better if the pole was where your spine is ie it goes through the bald patch on the top/back of your head, through your spine in the neck, through the spine in the body, and out your butt hole and into the ground below. Im saying this might be a better pole to rotate around because the spine attatches to the shoulders in a very solid way here. Some coaches advise this too.

Which is best the pole? The pole down the middle? Or the pole where the spine is ie a little further back from the middle!?

Comment

post a video and demonstrate we're sick of your crap posts.. do you think any decent fighter ever asked these kinds questions.. show us you hitting a bag and explain what you're talking about these threads are getting boring

Comment

Go to a flippin' gym and learn from a flippin' trainer, FFS.

Comment

Which is best the pole? The pole down the middle? Or the pole where the spine is ie a little further back from the middle!?
                I understand that you're simply trying to absorb theory and get a decent understanding of boxing and its mechanics as I did the same as I read and watched boxing.

With that said, you should have already concluded that there is no "best". Even when learning basics, you learn them and eventually end up utilizing them in the way that works BEST FOR YOU after you've internalized them.

For example, on the inside, Mike Tyson would square up and still generate speed and power. Manny Pacquiao doesn't "sit" on his left hand as much as propel the weight of his body forward as if he's literally THROWING the left hand. Did you see the right hand George Foreman knocked Michael Moore out with? What pole did he use?

Learn theory to you satisfaction, I, personally, used Jack Dempsey's "Championship Fighting", watch videos on "old school" fighters such as Joe Louis and get a trainer you feel comfortable enough to learn from and stick with.

Boxing isn't necessarily a young man's sport but it is wise to learn it as young as possible.

Comment

Hi Rockin thanks for your answer.

What I mean is some coaches say imagine there is a pole that goes through the top of your head, through your wind pipe, through the centre of your body and the centre of your hips, out of your scrotum and into the ground beneath you. Some coaches say pivot or spin your body and hips around this pole to punch hard.

What im saying is that dead centre might not be the best place for the pole, Im saying it might be better if the pole was where your spine is ie it goes through the bald patch on the top/back of your head, through your spine in the neck, through the spine in the body, and out your butt hole and into the ground below. Im saying this might be a better pole to rotate around because the spine attatches to the shoulders in a very solid way here. Some coaches advise this too.

Interesting question.

Just to throw a spanner in the works and give you a few sleepless nights...

What if the best axis to rotate around is neither of the above? For example, you are conceptualising the "best"axis as being positioned somewhere central to the shoulders (both shoulders rotate around a central axis).

What if we conceptualise the axis to the left shoulder when throwing a right hand? Would this generate more force / torque as the the distance from the axis / pivot point to the point where the force acts (opposite shoulder) is greater?

In this case the left shoulder would be the pivot point / axis (when throwing a right hand). Think of a door rotating around the hinge (pivot point / axis).

I bet your coach has nightmares about you and your questions ... The poor guy would need a degree in physics to give you the kind of answers you want haha.

Comment

The great thing about the trolls on the boxing scene is that they are all so slow and ******ed.
                    Last edited by AlexKid; 09-09-2013, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X