Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Sonny Liston A Top 10 ATG Heavyweight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
    Ever heard of Cleveland Williams? Eddie Machen? Zora Folley? Nino Valdez?

That's because you aren't thinking in the first place. Ellis and Quarry would never have beaten Liston and Frazier was as made to order for Sonny as he was for Foreman.

Poet

that's only three names and none of them are really exceptional,just solid contenders.Valdez wasnt any good either

liston would have been older by that time and frazier isnt as small as patterson is,quarry is tough and can deal with punchers and ellis knew how to box well.

Comment

Originally posted by turdleburgle View Post
      that's only three names and none of them are really exceptional,just solid contenders. Valdez wasnt any good either
      Just because YOU aren't familier with them doesn't mean they weren't any good. Quick, name me three in-prime fighters Lennox fought that were as good as those three.

liston would have een older by that time and frazier isnt as small as patterson is,quarry is tough and can deal with punchers and ellis knew how to box well.
      Liston would have been older but Frazier would still have had the same problems with Liston as he had with Foreman: That ain't going away with age. Ellis could indeed box well but he lacked Ali's speed and speed is what gave Liston problems. While Quarry was tough he wasn't an ATG fighter and sponged far too much punishment to fight Liston.

Poet

Comment

If Ali wasn't there I feel the only person that could have beat him is Ernie Terrel, he was Sonny's sparring partner for a long time and most likely knew how to fight him but even then it's a push.
        Quarry, Ellis and Frazier aren't beating him.

Comment

Just because YOU aren't familier with them doesn't mean they weren't any good. Quick, name me three in-prime fighters Lennox fought that were as good as those three.
          Still waiting for those 3 in-prime opponents of Lennox Lewis that were as good as Wlliams, Machen, Folly, and Valdez.

Poet

Comment

Still waiting for those 3 in-prime opponents of Lennox Lewis that were as good as Wlliams, Machen, Folly, and Valdez.

Poet

bruno and vitali and tua were better and thats just three names,I could name many more,Valdezs record is crap and even ocasio is better than him.

lewis's resume is much better than listons.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
              poet, you make want to re-think your top 10 list, assuming he also meant order of the list...
              says the clown who calls Joe Louis, Roy Jones, Thomas Hearns & Floyd Patterson a bunch of Glass-chinned champions.... when the reality is that 3 of the four are rated as the greatest ever in their weight divisions while the forth was one of the youngest and best boxers ever in his division, which goes to show just how knowledgable you are on this sport... pea-brain`

Comment

bruno and vitali and tua were better and thats just three names,I could name many more,Valdezs record is crap and even ocasio is better than him.

lewis's resume is much better than listons.
                Listen very carefully: While I love Frank Bruno he was NOT better than any of the 4 I named NOR was he in-prime. Vitali was about as good as Williams (which isn't a knock on Vitali as Williams was FAR better than you're giving him credit for). Tua may have been a little bit better than Valdez. You might want to rely on something other than a quick glance at BoxRec when making claims about fighters you know nothing about such as Valdez. Ocasio was NOT an in-prime Lewis opponent (his prime was at least a decade earlier when he was fighting the likes of Holmes) nor was he better than the four fighters I listed.....Next!

Poet

Comment

I have Liston in my top 5 in head to head.My top 10 head to head is alot different than my all-time top 10.

Can anyone list 5 fighters who would have beat a PRIME Sonny Liston? When i say beat I mean beat him more times than he beats you if they fought 10 times?

Comment

In my book, Charles "Sonny" Liston is definitely a top 10 ATG heavyweight. He could box very well, had possibly the best left jab in heavyweight history, reach, a granite chin and ko-power in either hand. Hell, even his jab could knock you out. He's up there allright.

Comment

[/COLOR]
                      Why? Why must this thread bring in Lennox? Why? ?POR QUE?

Comment

Working...
                      X