No announcement yet.

Jack Bruce, Cream bassist, dead at 71

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Bruce, Cream bassist, dead at 71

Damn. You know you're getting old when your favorite musicians, who you saw when they were in their prime, start dying off.

Saw Bruce and Cream back in the day.

CNN) -- Jack Bruce, bassist for the legendary 1960s rock band Cream, died Saturday at age 71.

Bruce's family confirmed the death of the Scottish musician on his official website and Facebook page.

"The world of music will be a poorer place without him, but he lives on in his music and forever in our hearts."
    Formed with Eric Clapton and Ginger Baker, Cream burst onto the British psychedelic music scene in 1966. The trio lasted just more than two years, producing such hits as "Sunshine of Your Love," "White Room," "Crossroads" and "Strange Brew." The band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1993.

Baker expressed condolences on his Facebook page Saturday for "the loss of a fine man."

"My thoughts & wishes are with his family at this difficult time."

Saw them at the "Village Theatre" before it became the Fillmore East.
    Before that saw them March 1967 at this great concert.

"It***8217;s hard to believe that it***8217;s a little known fact
    that two of the biggest bands in rock history made thier American debut perfoming in a weird series of concerts at a NYC movie theatre for promoter Murry The K. This was during a transitional period in the career of popular disc jockey and radio personality Murray The K.

Murray departed from his solo act and vocal group presentation and made a valiant attempt to capitalize on the new sound and face of rock by booking self-contained electric bands. Nevertheless, the show billed as ***8220;Murray the K presents Music In The 5th Dimension***8221; marked the end of an era.

The shows took place over 40 years ago in 1967 from Saturday March 25th to Sunday April 2nd at the RKO 58th Street Theatre in Manhattan. There were five shows a day starting at 10 in the morning and lasting till after midnight.

Mitch Ryder headlined."

Comment

Jack Bruce on lead vocals here:

Comment

R.I.P.

I was a big fan of Cream and even back in the day, "West, Bruce & Lang".

Last edited by TBear; 10-26-2014, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Bruce, the bass player from Vanilla Fudge and the Mo-town bass were my models for style. I played bass in groups mid60's to late 70s and I frankly stole their riffs for myself.

Comment

Working...
              X