Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I hate movies where you have to make up your own ending.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
    Bringer and Danny Gunz,

I absolutely do not need shootings, violence, or defined good or bad guys to enjoy a movie.

But, I do need something besides a cop out of an ending that completely fails to wrap up a story. Cut to black with some non-essential character rambling about the realities of life (realities everyone already knows) is not an ending.

My opinion is you guys pretend to find some kind of deepness in that ending in order to point your fingers at others and accuse them of being shallow or dumb....and that's exactly what you guys have done in your past few posts!
    I only brought in the name calling because you started in on me.

But I agree with you to an extent there are some movies that leave open endings, which is fine, but people tend to over analyze and draw conclusions that are a bit too far fetched. I agree those movies and instances exist.

The problem is No Country for Old Men isn't that type of movie. You call the sheriff a non essential character but he is the main character of the whole story. Although the movie is about the cat and mouse game between anton, moss, and the sheriff; the main theme of it is the sheriff, being an old war vet and used to the country lifestyle in Texas, coming to the realization that is no longer what he thinks it is. The ending is the sheriff realizing it is in fact no country for an old man and he will retire rather then pursue anton and likely die.

If you want to say it wasn't a satisfying ending that's fine I can live with that everyone has their opinion. But to say it is a cop out with rambling from a non essential character just tells me you didn't grasp the movie very well.

I know I sound like a douchey hipster saying you dont get it but its the truth. And I'm not saying you're stupid because frankly I probably wouldn't have understood it if not for the fact I had read the book before the movie. The ending is there it just is harder to pick up on when you are watching it rather than reading it.
    Last edited by Danny Gunz; 10-11-2012, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Noose View Post
      Also, when a film causes discussion, it didnt end when the credits rolled. Even if ironically it seemed to be cut short.

Too many films end, and thats it. Thyre dead. U dont think or talk about them again. If a film intrigues you or frustrates you, you may want to watch it again or discuss it or research it. Learn about what inspired it, or influenced it, and then you can be lead to watch other films or a whole new genre.

Plus, unknowns stick in your mind. This works especially well with horror films. We fear the unknown, so a well made horror often relies on not giving you a flat conclusion. The film wants to leave us feeling uncomfortable and invade our reality.
      wow... excellent...

Comment

No Country for Old Men had an ending, but it robbed us of the ending we all wanted - that movie was so good, building up the tension between antagonist and good guy......and after all that hard work, what do they do - its pathetic.

It's like having a supermodel come and **** you, and then she leaves before you can bust a nut.....what a shame....

Comment

Originally posted by Jerub_Baal View Post
          No Country for Old Men had an ending, but it robbed us of the ending we all wanted - that movie was so good, building up the tension between antagonist and good guy......and after all that hard work, what do they do - its pathetic.

It's like having a supermodel come and **** you, and then she leaves before you can bust a nut.....what a shame....

Comment

how about after life by nina ricci and liam neeson?

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
              Bringer and Danny Gunz,

I absolutely do not need shootings, violence, or defined good or bad guys to enjoy a movie.

But, I do need something besides a cop out of an ending that completely fails to wrap up a story. Cut to black with some non-essential character rambling about the realities of life (realities everyone already knows) is not an ending.

My opinion is you guys pretend to find some kind of deepness in that ending in order to point your fingers at others and accuse them of being shallow or dumb....and that's exactly what you guys have done in your past few posts!
              Excuse me?

I was merely making a joke about the Aurora massacre. One which obviously went way over your head and still managed to ruffle your panties at the same time.

Go figure.
              Last edited by ßringer; 10-11-2012, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
                Excuse me?

I was merely making a joke about the Aurora massacre. One which obviously went way over your head and still managed to ruffle your panties at the same time.

Go figure.
                I didn't see the Dark Knight Rises, so I didn't realize the shooting you were referring to was the Aurora massacre. Well played.

Apologies.

Comment

Working...
                X