No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Froch vs. Groves Rematch: It Started With a Shove

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Froch vs. Groves Rematch: It Started With a Shove

The stage is set, the touch paper is lit, and if Monday is anything to go by the build-up to Carl Froch’s WBA and IBF Super middleweight title rematch against George Groves is going to be as storied as the preamble to their November encounter at Manchester Phones 4U Arena. Froch was dropped heavily in round one, beaten repeatedly to the punch and out-manoeuvred in the early rounds of their first fight, but “The Cobra” kept at it and eventually turned it around by stopping Groves at 1:33 of the ninth.

[Click Here To Read More]

I had Groves in the first fight and I still have him in the 2nd one. Groves is stylistically a nightmare for Froch and he clearly has got the psyhological edge over him.

Groves in the 8th!

Comment

Groves is out of his depth. He is a great fighter who is crisp, sharp, focused and very fast.
      His problem is that he is acting as if Carl is nothing and is no threat. The guy is so delusional its unreal. Carl is an egomaniac but at least he admits that Groves caused him a world of trouble in the last fight.
      I honestly think this whole thing has gone to Groves's head. He can't see how dangerous a fighter Froch still is even after being wobbled by him with extreme pressure in that ninth round after of course Froch got off the canvas, took many of Groves's best shots and worked his way back into the fight.

Groves is falling hard in the rematch. You mark my words he is getting flattened.

Comment

Comment

Groves would win if he had stamina and a chin, then again maybe froch is past it.

50/50 fight

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
            Groves would win if he had stamina and a chin, then again maybe froch is past it.

50/50 fight
            Lol Groves would definitely win if he had a chin and stamina, no doubt about it.
            Its a bit of a stretch for anyone to really think Froch is past it especially considering he got better as the fight went on and was the dominant and stronger fighter at the time when the ref stopped the fight.

Groves is the better boxer but Froch is too tough for him over 12 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by l1ght View Post
              Groves is out of his depth. He is a great fighter who is crisp, sharp, focused and very fast.
              His problem is that he is acting as if Carl is nothing and is no threat. The guy is so delusional its unreal. Carl is an egomaniac but at least he admits that Groves caused him a world of trouble in the last fight.
              I honestly think this whole thing has gone to Groves's head. He can't see how dangerous a fighter Froch still is even after being wobbled by him with extreme pressure in that ninth round after of course Froch got off the canvas, took many of Groves's best shots and worked his way back into the fight.

Groves is falling hard in the rematch. You mark my words he is getting flattened.
              Groves was saying all the same stuff last time tho, only most didn't take him seriously at all... I would bet anything you like Groves won't get flattened. I can actually see it being very similar to the first fight, most likely with Groves showing more respect and not hanging in the pocket for too long this time. I don't write off Froch catching up with Groves late again and wearing him down. Groves will get to Froch tho, and he will find a home for that right hand repeatedly. Froch has carried his left hand way too low his whole career, and his footwork is too slow and he moves out of trouble in straight lines.

Comment

Originally posted by springfiels View Post
                Groves was saying all the same stuff last time tho, only most didn't take him seriously at all... I would bet anything you like Groves won't get flattened. I can actually see it being very similar to the first fight, most likely with Groves showing more respect and not hanging in the pocket for too long this time. I don't write off Froch catching up with Groves late again and wearing him down. Groves will get to Froch tho, and he will find a home for that right hand repeatedly. Froch has carried his left hand way too low his whole career, and his footwork is too slow and he moves out of trouble in straight lines.
                Nah Groves wasn't this arrogant before the first fight. He said a lot of things before the first fight but not once did he show the disdain for Froch's abilities that he is showing now. Its almost as if he refuses to accept that Froch is a danger and I guarantee you its gonna be his downfall in the rematch.
                You remember in the 6th round when they were both trading and Groves was teeing off on Froch at will and then BAMB! Froch hit Groves with a left hand and it completely took the wind out of his sail. How did Groves react to that? He dropped his hands and goaded Froch as if to say it was nothing when it clearly was. After that it was all down hill for Groves and the same is gonna happen again as soon as he gets caught again which he will.

He aint knocking Froch out and he sure as hell isn't gonna last 12 rounds while keeping the same pace as he did the last fight.
                He has nowhere to hide and hes gonna feel very embarrassed after bigging himself up so much then falling flat on his face(or more likely his head ragdolling against the ropes as Froch batters him into submission)

Comment

I'd like to think Groves is shrewd enough to know what he's doing atm. I was a little concerned by his apparent underestimation of Froch too, but I think he's overdoing it slightly in an attempt to wind Froch up even further. At least I hope so.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterDeclanCor View Post
                    I'd like to think Groves is shrewd enough to know what he's doing atm. I was a little concerned by his apparent underestimation of Froch too, but I think he's overdoing it slightly in an attempt to wind Froch up even further. At least I hope so.
                    He's fairly blatantly trying to wind Froch up and he knows Froch is a tough nut, Groves seems more than smart enough not to underestimate Froch.

I cast my mind back to Froch vs Ward and Froch's interviews. "He can't knock me out. He can't take my punch." I hoped he was winding Ward up, but it just wasn't obvious whether he believed what he was saying to the point that he reckoned he could just lay it on Ward without having to be smart about it - I was wrong, Froch was dumb enough to believe his own hype. He meandered forward and loaded up - and Ward made him look like a mug for 9 rounds before coasting down the stretch.

Fortunately you can tell Groves isn't in the same category of ego/stupidity. Froch believed all he had to do was turn up vs Groves last time out. Maybe he'll be a bit more focused this time but he'll still have that same arrogance and it will probably cost him once more - but he won't get bailed out by dodging refereeing this time.

Unfortunately, based on the scores at the time of the "stoppage" in their first fight, Groves may well boss the fight and lose on the cards. (IIRC 2 judges had just 1 point in it at the time of the stoppage - daylight robbery.)

Comment

Working...
                    X