No announcement yet.

A window into the past, sword duels

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A window into the past, sword duels

This was drawn in 1459, some guy named Hans Talhoffer was a professional swordsman who trained people for judicial duels. Look at some of these drawings he made of the duels, that's pretty fascinating.

There is a whole bunch more too on this website. Isn't this cool? These were people 600 years ago dueling to the death!
    http://www.kb.dk/da/nb/materialer/ha...ott-2_290.html
    Last edited by Tswordwreturn; 11-20-2013, 03:09 PM.

Brutal and amazing. We are not brave, we don't know what it is to fight to the death, face to face.

I read an account of two Samurais involved in a sword fight. It lasted for a few seconds, you train your entire life, for a split second in time.

Sword duels between Samurai lasted but seconds, and ended usually in death.

Comment

thread tiitle reminded me of the film trilogy about the true to life adventures of the legendary miyamoto musashi against his archrival kojiro sasaki, though im not sure how accurate it was...
      Last edited by talip bin osman; 11-20-2013, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
        Brutal and amazing. We are not brave, we don't know what it is to fight to the death, face to face.

I read an account of two Samurais involved in a sword fight. It lasted for a few seconds, you train your entire life, for a split second in time.

Sword duels between Samurai lasted but seconds, and ended usually in death.
        Yeah, according to what was written by this guy Talhoffer and other known names of the times, sword duels lasted typically within 20 seconds.

The whole 'CLANG CLANG CLANG 15 minute duels in movies is patanetly false, these were quick, bloody and deadly.

These drawings are actually of judicial duels. Legally sanctioned fights to the death of whatever dispute led up to it.

That's crazy, these were lawful fights to the death overseen by a magistrate.

Could you imagine judge Judy.
        Ok here is your sword
        Here is YOUR sword.

Whoever is still alive wins the lawsuit, 1 2 3 GO

Comment

Working...
        X