Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pavliks a bum, zaggers would have raped him

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
      Fighters are "managed" a lot more today, they have fights cherry-picked, travel less and records are protected. So yes, most current fighters are overrated, they are pampered.

However, there are exceptions like Lucas Matthysse who are on the road fighting thousands of miles from home and beating everyone they would put in front of him.
      ^^^This!^^^

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
        If anything, we might underrated them. All I ever hear is about how much better the old school fighters were and how'd they wipe the floor with the new generation.
        Old school fighters aren't necessarily better per say. Though overall skills may have fallen off todays best would certainly compete with the best of the past winning some and losing some. Old school fighters are better in a historical sense because they fought more often against better comp in era's that weren't thinned out by 4 (major) titles. Today you simply don't have to fight the best to win a paper title.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
          Fighters are "managed" a lot more today, they have fights cherry-picked, travel less and records are protected. So yes, most current fighters are overrated, they are pampered.

However, there are exceptions like Lucas Matthysse who are on the road fighting thousands of miles from home and beating everyone they would put in front of him.
          I agree and with four titles in each weight class. It is too easy to manage a fighter throught the ranks and different weight classes.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
            Pavliks a bum, zaggers would have raped him
            if calzaghe thought he could beat him he would have. calzaghe goes down as the guy that not only fought bums but ducked them as well.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
              if calzaghe thought he could beat him he would have. calzaghe goes down as the guy that not only fought bums but ducked them as well.
              according to you

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                Calzaghe didn't think he could beat Lacy, but he fought him and ultimately destroyed him so I don't think you can go by that.

At the same time, I'm not going to say Calzaghe would beat Pavlik because fights are won in the ring not on paper and I hate giving 'fantasy' wins to those who don't take the challenge - but that goes for Pavlik too, not just Calzaghe.

Comment

Working...
                X