Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most physically gifted?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roy did some high level basketball as a hobby, he even played games around the time of his fights. I think he could have easily become a world class professional at a bunch of different sports if it wasn't for Boxing. That kind of athletiscm, the speed, explosiveness and hand eye coordination is what only the best athletes in the world have.

Something to be said for Ali being so physically gifted for a heavyweight though. A man from the 60s was likely the most physically gifted heavyweight boxer ever, especially when it comes to speed and reflexes. Imagine that.

Comment

Lol pacman is more deserving than floyd!

Comment

It's either Ray Leonard, or Ray Robinson, and I'm going with Ray Leonard.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite76 View Post
          I thought I made this poll so a vote could be changed, but I guess I didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite76 View Post
            If I rate our super quintet for absolute hand speed shown, here is how I think it comes out. Then I carry through with some examples of the speeds of other well known fighters for comparison. Why not? I obviously have nothing but time.

In absolute hand speed, not P4P speed:

Jones: 10

Leonard: 9.7

Ali: 9.5

Mayweather: 9.4

Robinson: 9.4

Pacquiao: 9

Azuhma Nelson: 9

Salvdor Sanchez: 8.9

Hearns: 8.8

Hagler: 8.3

Monzon: 7.9

Comment

Originally posted by BKM-2010 View Post
              Roy did some high level basketball as a hobby, he even played games around the time of his fights.
              I was always disgusted to see him ruining his legs that way. Hardwood floors are not the answer

I think he could have easily become a world class professional at a bunch of different sports if it wasn't for Boxing.
              What a gymnast he might have made!

That kind of athletiscm, the speed, explosiveness and hand eye coordination is what only the best athletes in the world have.
              Notice how well a player like Larry Byrd did, who was not super fast or athletic but had amazing technique and other kinds of talents that enabled him to play on an even keel day after day with the fast-twitch-fiber guys. If it can be done in basketball, it can be done in boxing, which so many people fail to recognize.

Something to be said for Ali being so physically gifted for a heavyweight though. A man from the 60s was likely the most physically gifted heavyweight boxer ever, especially when it comes to speed and reflexes. Imagine that.
              The greatest had great head movement, but also one great flaw--he was from the beginning a sucker against the left hook. He had the reflexes to see the punches coming, but he always wanted to move straight back. Don't try that against Dempsey.
              Last edited by The Old LefHook; 01-29-2015, 03:00 PM.

Comment

I voted for ali speed and chin

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                    If I rate our super quintet for absolute hand speed shown, here is how I think it comes out. Then I carry through with some examples of the speeds of other well known fighters for comparison. Why not? I obviously have nothing but time.

In absolute hand speed, not P4P speed:

Jones: 10

Leonard: 9.7

Ali: 9.5

Mayweather: 9.4

Robinson: 9.4

Pacquiao: 9

Azuhma Nelson: 9

Salvdor Sanchez: 8.9

Hearns: 8.8

Hagler: 8.3

Monzon: 7.9
                    I personally would've had Hearns ahead of Sanchez, but great list.
                    Slugfester Slugfester likes this.

Comment

Sugarman is superior to all the others, its not close either.

Ray
                      Slugfester Slugfester likes this.

Comment

Working...
                      X