Napoles vs SRL and Monzon vs Hopkins

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leonard by KO
    Hopkins outbox Monzon

I'm from Argentina, but Monzon have a lot of power in his jab and right hand. and dont have more punchs. Hopkins box a lot betteer, have more reach, better movements, food work. B-Hop provably KO late rounds.
    Very similar to the Pavlyk fight
    Last edited by nachorjj; 07-18-2011, 12:21 AM.

Comment

great matchups. both tough fights but i'd go with:
      Leonard - late stoppage/close decision
      Monzon - late stoppage/clear decision

Comment

Originally posted by nachorjj View Post
        Leonard by KO
        Hopkins outbox Monzon

I'm from Argentina, but Monzon have a lot of power in his jab and right hand. and dont have more punchs. Hopkins box a lot betteer, have more reach, better movements, food work. B-Hop provably KO late rounds.
        Very similar to the Pavlyk fight
        While I strongly disagree with Hopkins beating Monzon by decision, I will respect is as a different view.

Hopkins knocking Monzon out and comparing Monzon to Pavlik, though? I think even Hopkins would call you crazy.

Comment

Interested as to why people think Leonard is going to knock Napoles out, anyone want to expand on that ?. Napoles was never knocked out, only stopped on cuts, he had excellent defense and chin as he proved which he proved when he took some huge shots from Monzon, this fight is going the distance or Napoles is getting stopped but only because of his paper thin skin, no one is getting knocked out.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
            Interested as to why people think Leonard is going to knock Napoles out, anyone want to expand on that ?. Napoles was never knocked out, only stopped on cuts, he had excellent defense and chin as he proved which he proved when he took some huge shots from Monzon, this fight is going the distance or Napoles is getting stopped but only because of his paper thin skin, no one is getting knocked out.
            I agree with you, although Napoles wasn't stopped on cuts against Monzon, was he? I remember the corner stopping it because he was getting killed.

Comment

Originally posted by hebi View Post
              I agree with you, although Napoles wasn't stopped on cuts against Monzon, was he? I remember the corner stopping it because he was getting killed.
              this was obviously an older napoles and not in his best weight class, but here:

i picked leonard for leonard/napoles at WW by close decision/late stoppage. the late stoppage would most deff be by a badly cut/swollen eye. but now that i think about it, i would favor a decision win by leonard.
              Last edited by chiguy91; 07-18-2011, 01:35 AM.

Comment

While I strongly disagree with Hopkins beating Monzon by decision, I will respect is as a different view.

Hopkins knocking Monzon out and comparing Monzon to Pavlik, though? I think even Hopkins would call you crazy.
                Im comparing the style, no the career

Comment

SRL-Napoles? Napoles was such a great talent. Very skilled, one of the greatest skilled fighters of all time. Mantequilla was fitting name for him cuz' he was smooth as butter. But, I'm going with the "safe pick" which is Leonard by cuts. Even though I'm not so confident with that pick. Because, my god Napoles was a special fighter.

Monzon-Hopkins? Well I let Hopkins say it in his own words.

http://www.secondsout.com/columns/th...-in-the-making

“Sugar Ray Robinson at 147 pounds was close to perfect,” Hopkins posits. “But at middleweight, he was beatable. I would have fought Ray Robinson in close and not given him room to do his thing. He’d make me pay a physical price. But at middleweight, I think I’d wear him down and win. Me and Marvin Hagler would have been a war. We’d both be in the hospital afterward with straws in our mouth. We’d destroy each other. I wouldn’t run from Marvin. My game-plan would be, rough him up, box, rough him up, box. You wouldn’t use judges for that fight. You’d go by the doctors’ reports. Whichever one of us is damaged less gets the win. Carlos Monzon? I could lose that fight. Monzon was tall, rangy, did everything right. I see myself losing that fight more than winning it. I ain’t saying I’m number one, but I’m one of the best middleweights of all time. My legacy is what it is. If you want to be great, then beat Bernard Hopkins.”

Comment

True, no cuts in that fight. Napoles was a small welterweight who had no business in the ring with a large middleweight the caliber of Monzon.

Comment

Originally posted by chiguy91 View Post
                      this was obviously an older napoles and not in his best weight class, but here:

i picked leonard for leonard/napoles at WW by close decision/late stoppage. the late stoppage would most deff be by a badly cut/swollen eye. but now that i think about it, i would favor a decision win by leonard.
                      Thanks for the link.

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                      True, no cuts in that fight. Napoles was a small welterweight who had no business in the ring with a large middleweight the caliber of Monzon.
                      Yeah, I suppose me pointing that out was pointlessly nit-picky.

Comment

Working...
                      X