Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've Lost Some Respect For Ali..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foreman wouldn't have stood a chance in any way. Remember that there were plenty of trades off the ropes and Ali was dominating George with his quick jabs and movements, as well as hurting him with his right hand.
    I don't really see what how he 'wouldn't fall for it a second time'. I mean the lad can't push Ali off the ropes, he would still have to play his game. It's only up to Ali if they're gonna fight a diffirent fight. If Foreman couldn't knock a fighter out, he would lose.

Needless to say he was dominated by Young, almost crushed by Lyle and was starting to become a joke after Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by Slimey Limey View Post
      Foreman wouldn't have stood a chance in any way. Remember that there were plenty of trades off the ropes and Ali was dominating George with his quick jabs and movements, as well as hurting him with his right hand.
      I don't really see what how he 'wouldn't fall for it a second time'. I mean the lad can't push Ali off the ropes, he would still have to play his game. It's only up to Ali if they're gonna fight a diffirent fight. If Foreman couldn't knock a fighter out, he would lose.

Needless to say he was dominated by Young, almost crushed by Lyle and was starting to become a joke after Ali.
      For once I agree with most of what you've written..
      I would never regard Foreman as a joke though.. He was one of the most feared opponents of all time.. It appears Ali thought so to..

Comment

Originally posted by Benny Leonard View Post
        I never understood why there wasn’t an immediate rematch in the States.

I've always felt that "The Champion" that loses his title should have the option to get an immediate rematch or at least a rematch within 1 full year time.

Foreman fought stupid in that fight and hadn't properly used his jab since Frazier leading up to the Ali fight.
        Foreman did not fight for a year again. Not having an immediate rematch had nothing to do with Ali not giving it, it had everything to do with Foreman trying to deal with the loss.

When he did come back, most felt he had lost his aura of invincibility during the Lyle fight. It was a great fight for sure but he was nearly knocked out by a man whom he was supposed to run right through (of course we can now appreciate Lyle as the tough customer he truly was).

He then fought Frazier who had lost a brutal fight against Ali. Frazier came in at nearly 230 lbs and looked like a shell of himself. Foreman took a couple of rounds more to finish off a finished off Frazier but it was a good performance.

After beating down the undefeated Dino Denis, Foreman stated in the post-fight interview that he would like to have a couple of fights against the top contenders. He fought Jimmy Young in some kind of an eliminator, lost and retired.

Comment

Ali would have won again,
          he'd find a way.

Comment

Originally posted by Slimey Limey View Post

I doubt he falls for the "rope a dope" a second time. Foreman knew it was a mistake after the fight and that it caused himself to wear out. One of the problems in that fight is that Foreman abondened the jab that set up his punches and helped pace himself in a way.

I tend to think some fighters need to get right back in there with the opponent they just lost to instead of getting another "warm-up" fight because in that "warm-up" fight they may be thinking of the opponent they lost to instead of concentrating on the fighter at hand.

Watch the difference in fighting:

After Frazier:

Comment

Originally posted by TredKiller View Post
              Ali would have won again,
              he'd find a way.
              That's very true. Ali has that capability.

Quite note: Ali shoudn't have been able to get away with grabbing Foreman's head and keeping it down. That also helped wear Foreman out and probably stiffened his neck up a bit.

Now I do recognize Ali had to do certain things at certain times because of his declined ability and the opponent he was facing but it still doesn't make it right.

And can someone tell me why nobody taught Foreman to throw with proper technique consistently?

Lots of power gone to waist.
              Last edited by Benny Leonard; 07-10-2009, 02:45 PM.

Comment

I doubt he falls for the "rope a dope" a second time. Foreman knew it was a mistake after the fight and that it caused himself to wear out. One of the problems in that fight is that Foreman abondened the jab that set up his punches and helped pace himself in a way.

I tend to think some fighters need to get right back in there with the opponent they just lost to instead of getting another "warm-up" fight because in that "warm-up" fight they may be thinking of the opponent they lost to instead of concentrating on the fighter at hand.
                Foreman went wild against Roman but I thought he fought the perfect fight against Norton.

This is after losing to Ali:

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
                  For once I agree with most of what you've written..
                  A broken clock is right twice a day

Comment

And can someone tell me why nobody taught Foreman to throw with proper technique consistently?
                    Guess the theory was if it isn't broke don't fix it?
                    Guess its why keeping an unbeaten record is not as important as losing a few fights and learning the game, ironing out weaknesses etc.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
                      Foreman did not fight for a year again. Not having an immediate rematch had nothing to do with Ali not giving it, it had everything to do with Foreman trying to deal with the loss.

When he did come back, most felt he had lost his aura of invincibility during the Lyle fight. It was a great fight for sure but he was nearly knocked out by a man whom he was supposed to run right through (of course we can now appreciate Lyle as the tough customer he truly was).

He then fought Frazier who had lost a brutal fight against Ali. Frazier came in at nearly 230 lbs and looked like a shell of himself. Foreman took a couple of rounds more to finish off a finished off Frazier but it was a good performance.

After beating down the undefeated Dino Denis, Foreman stated in the post-fight interview that he would like to have a couple of fights against the top contenders. He fought Jimmy Young in some kind of an eliminator, lost and retired.
                      Bless you my son!! I said exactly the same as you on another thread, & I was shot down in flames by 2 other respectable posters.. After checking what they'd, quoted & it more or less came up trumps, so I conceded, hence the reason for this thread.. To be honest, the whole thing's still wide open, but I'll accept defeat to my right honorable friends in the meantime.. There's bound to be responses from LLR & the Kid...Well I hope so, keeps it interesting...

Comment

Working...
                      X