No announcement yet.

If Cotto is a TRUE elite WW fighter, how come he is underdog against Pacman

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cotto-Rulez View Post
    Shot Shane like you said KOed Margarito and destroyed Vargas too.

If i'd be a hater like you, i'd say:
    not just
    -Weight drained DLH
    -Overrated Hatton
    but also
    - Pacquiao lost twice against Marquez
    - Morales was shot, got outboxed by Raheem and was also weight drained.
    - Barrera was weakened by the two Morales wars so shot the first time. He was completely shot and gun shy the second time.

However, I will be a gentleman and give his props to Pacquiao coz he's a great fighter, i just confirm my two first statements.
    you the hater for discrediting pacs recent victorys. mosley is 37 and past prime.

Comment

Originally posted by SekondzOut View Post
      in boxing....you're only good as your last fight......Manny has looked flawless while Cotto has had some troubles!!.....I guess thats what the odds are based off......its cool.....I plan on puttin' some REAL money on Cotto!!!.....hope the odds makers keep foolin' themselves!!
      Yeah, I'm not sure why everyone thinks this fight is a foregone conclusion. If I told you Fighter A had beaten up on faded Oscar and Ricky Hatton while Fighter B had taken two of three from Clottey, Mosley and Margarito you'd probably pick Fighter B to win. Boxing is strange like that.

Remember how "bad" Hopkins looked against Keith Holmes compared to how "good" Tito looked against William Joppy?

Comment

Originally posted by nozorok View Post
        A better question is would Pacquiao be the favorite against fighters like Mayweather, Mosley, Margarito and Williams?
        Originally posted by Pullcounter View Post
        just cause a boxer is the favorite to win, doesn't mean that he's elite... elite status is given when you actually fight real boxers in your own division and beat them.
        I put it out there for discussion as to why Pacquiao is a big favorite over Cotto yet would probably not be over those other top welters.

I think it's because Cotto has always looked vulnerable against even lesser/smaller fighters and his best wins over Mosley and Clottey were razor thin or controversial decisions. You add in his devastating loss to Margarito and Pacquiao's hot winning streak and I think that could be it.

Comment

its simple every body thinks Pac can hang with a real WW (aka Pac nutthuggers) after beating a shot Oscar and Cotto might be done as a fighter. i still pick Cotto to win on paper eveything points to Cotto wining its up to Pac to beat a live WW and show the boxing world he can do it

Comment

Salvador Sanchez was an underdog against Wilfredo Gomez. Sanchez was the true elite featherweight at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by King Flawless View Post
              If Cotto is a TRUE elite WW fighter, how come he is underdog against Pacman

That doesn't make sense. People say Floyd needs to beat Cotto. Yet this Cotto is underdog against a former 106 fighter

EXPLAIN

Classy pic of that dictator Castro on your avatar, by the way. The reason is simple. Cotto has been an elite Jr WW/ WW for years and since his controversial loss to Margarito, some of his faithful have hopped off the bandwagon. Manny, on the other hand, has won a few good fights against some good guys by impressively stopping them early. Same thing that happened when Mike Tyson jumped onto the scene. Funny thing is... Pac's style to me looks quite a bit like Tyson's.

Comment

With the way Pacquiao has been fighting of course they have to make him the favorite. I think the line is a little high due to Pacquiao stopping Hatton so early but I still think it is correct that he is a favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by MoneyMay1 View Post
                  Classy pic of that dictator Hugo Chavez on you avatar, by the way. The reason is simple. Cotto has been an elite Jr WW/ WW for years and since his controversial loss to Margarito, some of his faithful have hopped off the bandwagon. Manny, on the other hand, has won a few good fights against some good guys by impressively stopping them early. Same thing that happened when Mike Tyson jumped onto the scene. Funny thing is... Pac's style to me looks quite a bit like Tyson's.
                  Pacquiaos style is nothing like Tyson's. And people jumping off the Cotto wagon has nothing to do with the odds. The people in Vegas set the lines and it has actually remained consistent and has not moved much so they set those lines out.

Comment

Originally posted by King Flawless View Post
                    The point is people put so much emphasis on Floyd fighting an TRUE elite WW.
                    Yet the TRUE elite WW is underdog against a fighter smaller than Floyd
                    You ever heard of...people buying into the hype?

Once again...let me explain to you how the curtain can be placed over the consumer's eyes, or in this case...Boxing fans.

When Tito and Bernard was signed, all the Puerto Ricans and a good amount of Boxing experts picked Tito to win because of his wins over Oscar, then moving up to 154 and beating Vargas, then him KO'ing Joppy embarrassingly. He moved up 2 weight classes very quickly and was riding high. Yet, people didn't realize that Hopkins had been Middleweight champ for about 7 yrs without a blemish since his fight with Roy, but people still ignored the fact.

Well, people got a huge reality check than night. I believe Pacquiao will suffer the same fate.

Comment

Working...
                    X