No announcement yet.

Beating ELITE fighters "at the top of their game"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beating ELITE fighters "at the top of their game"

No one has ever beaten an ELITE fighter at the top of his game. So let's stop the bs right there. Always some injury, bad training camp, hookers drugs, poison, spells witchcraft. no one comes in the ring perfect.But letS see if we can come up with elites who were close to the top of their game when they got beat.

Leonard Hearns I
    Duran Leonard I
    Ali Foreman
    Foreman Frazier

I'm sure there's more but my point is a fighter is lucky if he can beat 1 ellite(at the top of his game) to expect a resume of elites is ******rd when Ali the greatest maybe beat like one his whole career. And foreman was injured and suffering depression so even that is debatable.

Lewis vs Tyson

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyzagz View Post
      No one has ever beaten an ELITE fighter at the top of his game. So let's stop And foreman was injured and suffering depression so even that is debatable.
      You forgot that he was also not used to the African heat and also that he was poisoned. And also that Ali grabbed his head too much and also he would have won by KO if he didn't fall for the rope a dope, and also that Ali only laid on the ropes, and also that Foreman would have won if Ali didn't win.

So that's about negative 8 points from Ali's W out of a total 20, which leaves 12 points left divided by 2 giving him a score of 6.0 out of 10.

No but really I hate the fact that boxing fans are such nitpickers, 9 out of 10 wins are discredited in some way.

Comment

No one has ever beaten an ELITE fighter at the top of his game. So let's stop the bs right there. Always some injury, bad training camp, hookers drugs, poison, spells witchcraft. no one comes in the ring perfect.But letS see if we can come up with elites who were close to the top of their game when they got beat.

Leonard Hearns I
        Duran Leonard I
        Ali Foreman
        Foreman Frazier

I'm sure there's more but my point is a fighter is lucky if he can beat 1 ellite(at the top of his game) to expect a resume of elites is ******rd when Ali the greatest maybe beat like one his whole career. And foreman was injured and suffering depression so even that is debatable.
        I agree with you that such wins are few and far between. In fact, a fighter who walked into the ring at the top of his game is often dismissed as shot, or past his prime, for no other reason than he lost the fight.

I prefer to grade victories - A, B, C etc. From that view, I think Mayweather's victory over Manny was an A, Rigo beating Donaire was an A, Ward beating Froch was an A and Jones beating Toney was an A.

Comment

Forrest vs mosely

Jones vs toney

Comment

Leonard Hearns I
            Duran Leonard I
            Ali Foreman
            Foreman Frazier

It's about when you fight your best opponents, Leonard fought Hearns when people were telling him, "hey you're fighting Duran and you're fighting so and so, why don't you fight Hearns" ... so he did and almost got outboxed but he managed to out slug the power puncher. There may have been problems in camp for either guy but both men were as close to prime as they were ever gonna be on that night.

If you're using this as a counter argument to the May/Pac hate, remember, neither of those guys was close to their primes. Mayweather chose to fight Pacquiao when Pacquiao was at his worst, long before any training camp problems etc.

Weak.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post

Jones vs toney
              Best one I've seen so far.

But if a fighter is truly Elite he's not gonna lose to anybody when on top of his game. It's a loaded question

Comment

Best one I've seen so far.

But if a fighter is truly Elite he's not gonna lose to anybody when on top of his game. It's a loaded question
                He can certainly lose to another elite fighter. And Toney was definitely weight drained for the Jones fight, no matter what diehard Jones fans claim.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                  He can certainly lose to another elite fighter. And Toney was definitely weight drained for the Jones fight, no matter what diehard Jones fans claim.
                  But when wasn't he?

Comment

Jones vs Hopkins
                    Sanchez vs Gomez
                    Fenech vs Nelson
                    Ali vs Frazier
                    Foreman vs Norton
                    Hearns vs Barkley
                    Benn vs Eubank
                    Chavez vs Taylor
                    Liston vs Patterson
                    Toney vs Nunn