Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UFC Is Starting To Become Uninteresting To Watch!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That fight was trash.

Comment

Originally posted by photomane View Post
      The fight with Guida last night was a perfect example. I believe the UFC has peaked and is slowly declining in peoples interest because of the rule system which lets fighters just lay and hold, your thoughts?

ps: The boxing fights Froch vs Johnson and Chavez Jr last night were 10 times more exciting...
      mma is checkers, lots of kings, lots of action.

we all grow up and stop playing checkers.

Comment

Starting? Ever since Lesnar lost to Velasquez it's been this way. Whenever the undercard sucks, usually the main event is good. Whenever the main event sucks the undercard is usually good. There are extremely rare occasions now that both are awesome.

I learned a lesson though. If the main event involves anyone other the exciting fighters chances are it won't be exciting. I don't watch MMA to watch tactical battles, I watch for excitement.

Which is why I watch Strikeforce. Those guys know they don't get cut after 1 loss, so they decide to do a good job to entertain the fans even at the cost of losing.

Comment

I can agree it's lost some stream but I don't think it's becoming uninteresting to watch at all. I think it's lost steam since the UFC 80's. Their's been good fights since then but not as consistent as their use to be because of a combo of things.

Fighters don't get paid enough and it's becoming acceptable to play it safe to win. A few years ago and before it was all about finishing fights. Everybody wanted to be the next Rampage, the next GSP back when he was exciting, the next shogun, now everybody just wants to lay on each other.

I'm telling you if they switched the rules over to Japanesse rules it'd be one of the best sports out there up there with with the NBA and the NFL. Wrestling shouldn't win you fights, although it's a great asset to help you win but if your just laying there praying not to get KO'd or submitted that's just ridiculous.

Comment

I'd like to see more 5 round fights. A lot of the time, 3 rounders don't really prove who the better fighter is.

Comment

Originally posted by led's baby mama View Post
              I can agree it's lost some stream but I don't think it's becoming uninteresting to watch at all. I think it's lost steam since the UFC 80's. Their's been good fights since then but not as consistent as their use to be because of a combo of things.

Fighters don't get paid enough and it's becoming acceptable to play it safe to win. A few years ago and before it was all about finishing fights. Everybody wanted to be the next Rampage, the next GSP back when he was exciting, the next shogun, now everybody just wants to lay on each other.

I'm telling you if they switched the rules over to Japanesse rules it'd be one of the best sports out there up there with with the NBA and the NFL. Wrestling shouldn't win you fights, although it's a great asset to help you win but if your just laying there praying not to get KO'd or submitted that's just ridiculous.

They do get paid enough. If your gonna tell me you can't live off 5k for 2 months, something is wrong with the way you live. Nick got paid 175k for beating Daley and not to long before that he was claiming he was broke. C'mon now, you can't live off that money for more than a month? Not to mention their walking billboard status, 17 sponsors on their pants. That's free product(clothes etc.) and money.

Regarding topic:
              As for the UFC becoming uninteresting. It's true. I really don't want to watch anyone that I don't already like. Because the guys I like are generally gonna bring it. Not lay on dudes for 3-5 rounds. It's sad when you can't even watch a title fight because you know dude is gonna just lay on each other all fight.

I like Okami, he wrestles but recently he's been bringing it. Kos is a wrestler but he brings it. Ben Henderson is a wrestler but he brings it. So, I ain't hating.

Comment

I was just talking with my cousin about this last night. We watch both MMA and Boxing (our true loyalty does lay with boxing though) and i was all about Guida getting this win but him laying there was just tough to watch. I used to argue with people who didnt watch boxing because they claimed "boxers just hold and hug eachother the whole time" now it seems these wrestlers are killing the mma game with their "holding and hugging"

Guida/Pettis
                Noguiera/Davis
                GSP/Koshcheck are just a few of the bigger fights recently that put people to sleep because one guy just decided to out "wrestle" the other.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
                  They do get paid enough. If your gonna tell me you can't live off 5k for 2 months, something is wrong with the way you live. Nick got paid 175k for beating Daley and not to long before that he was claiming he was broke. C'mon now, you can't live off that money for more than a month? Not to mention their walking billboard status, 17 sponsors on their pants. That's free product(clothes etc.) and money.

Regarding topic:
                  As for the UFC becoming uninteresting. It's true. I really don't want to watch anyone that I don't already like. Because the guys I like are generally gonna bring it. Not lay on dudes for 3-5 rounds. It's sad when you can't even watch a title fight because you know dude is gonna just lay on each other all fight.

I like Okami, he wrestles but recently he's been bringing it. Kos is a wrestler but he brings it. Ben Henderson is a wrestler but he brings it. So, I ain't hating.
                  Thats the thing though, should they really have to be like a normal person and have to budget to do what they love to do when boxers are making a lot more? I mean it'd be smart and I see your point but it still ain't fair. I get you shouldn't get greedy since they have to pay more fighters then boxing and show more fights but here's how I see it.

$5,000 is what I think they should be paying all TUF contestants to support them after it's over. Most of the ones who's deserve a second look if they lose in the semi's of the house tournament usually get a fight on ****e tv anyways.

But for prelims of Spike TV cards...

-I think rookies or low level prelim fighters $10-15,000
                  -High level prelim fighters should get $15-25,000.
                  -Low level main card fighters $25-35,000.
                  -High level main card fighters $35-45,000 which what they paid Carwin to fight Lesnar, disgusting.
                  -1st-2nd time main eventers $40-55,000.
                  -Low level main eventer $55-65,000.
                  -Then high level main eventers $65-no more then probably $100,000 because sometimes they do have a guy like Lil Nog or Sanchez in the main event. They could even justify getting 200-250,000 since they have fought for a title and had big fights in major past MMA cards.

For PPV's...

-Low level prelim fighter get about $15-$25,000
                  -High Level prelim fighter $25-$50,000
                  -Low level main card $50-$200,000.
                  -High level main card $250,000 up to a few million maybe it's a just recent champion.
                  -Main eventers & co-main eventers should at least get a million or 2. Even more depending on if their champion, even more if their multiple time defending champions like Edgar, GSP, Silva.

Originally posted by THE_BIG_HURT View Post
                  I was just talking with my cousin about this last night. We watch both MMA and Boxing (our true loyalty does lay with boxing though) and i was all about Guida getting this win but him laying there was just tough to watch. I used to argue with people who didnt watch boxing because they claimed "boxers just hold and hug eachother the whole time" now it seems these wrestlers are killing the mma game with their "holding and hugging"

Guida/Pettis
                  Noguiera/Davis
                  GSP/Koshcheck are just a few of the bigger fights recently that put people to sleep because one guy just decided to out "wrestle" the other.
                  I couldn't agree more. I like them both equally and can appreciate everything about them but both have their good and *****ty fights at times. It's not like one's more consistent then the other.

I just think if they had japanesse type scoring and rules and people knew they couldn't just lay on you and you could win by multiple submission attempts off your back we'd be seeing much better fights since they would know every little thing counts not just takedowns but what happens after. I don't like control being apart of the scoring unless everything is equal. Like Grispi-Roop last night that first round was pretty much full of good strikes from the bottom from Roop and submission attempts by Grispi, they were equal in that too me so I would give that round to Grispi for them takedowns.
                  Last edited by $Bullsfam$; 06-05-2011, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Thats the thing though, should they really have to be like a normal person and have to budget to do what they love to do when boxers are making a lot more? I mean it'd be smart and I see your point but it still ain't fair. I get you shouldn't get greedy since they have to pay more fighters then boxing and show more fights but here's how I see it.

$5,000 is what I think they should be paying all TUF contestants to support them after it's over. Most of the ones who's deserve a second look if they lose in the semi's of the house tournament usually get a fight on ****e tv anyways.

But for prelims of Spike TV cards...

-I think rookies or low level prelim fighters $10-15,000
                    -High level prelim fighters should get $15-25,000.
                    -Low level main card fighters $25-35,000.
                    -High level main card fighters $35-45,000 which what they paid Carwin to fight Lesnar, disgusting.
                    -1st-2nd time main eventers $40-55,000.
                    -Low level main eventer $55-65,000.
                    -Then high level main eventers $65-no more then probably $100,000 because sometimes they do have a guy like Lil Nog or Sanchez in the main event. They could even justify getting 200-250,000 since they have fought for a title and had big fights in major past MMA cards.

For PPV's...

-Low level prelim fighter get about $15-$25,000
                    -High Level prelim fighter $25-$50,000
                    -Low level main card $50-$200,000.
                    -High level main card $250,000 up to a few million maybe it's a just recent champion.
                    -Main eventers & co-main eventers should at least get a million or 2. Even more depending on if their champion, even more if their multiple time defending champions like Edgar, GSP, Silva.

I see what you mean but one payout we never see is the ticket gate and ppv sells. We never hear how much money fighters get from that revenue. In boxing we hear all the time about how Floyd gets so and so a cut of the gate. Where as UFC we never hear that.

I think UFC fighters may be getting paid more than we think. Think about it, what was the payouts for Affliction fights? Every dude was getting like 20-30k for fighting. Yet no one jumps ship from UFC to affliction?

Maybe that's why UFC fighters look like they get paid peanuts but all own houses and apparently don't do anything but live at the gym. lol

Comment

yeah the last 3 or so main events have been crap but carwin vs dos santos that is gonna be good i pray

Comment

Working...
                      X