No announcement yet.

A Job in Boxing Promotion.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Job in Boxing Promotion.

It's something I have always wanted to do. I am currently studying Social Marketing and Promotion to help me gain knowledge on that area before applying for a licence. I love boxing, but not too may people know a great lot on the business & contractual aspect of the sport, including myself. How can I get involved in boxing promotion before applying to become a promoter myself? Are there any internships, apprenticeships, anything of that sort? Or do I have to simply know the right the guy, and without the guy, I have no hope in hell?

If I had know earlier that I had a knack for matchmaking, business and finance I would have tried to have become a promoter, manager or other boxing insider.

Anyway, I think you need to pursue a degree in business or law, for starters. To get your foot in the door, research the various promoters, promoting companies, matchmakers, etc. and reach out to them via phone call. A lot of boxing promoters have websites, so that would be an 'in' to explore. Do some research before you call, so that you have a good idea of how the business works and what to expect.

Also, speaking a second (or third) language would be an invaluable asset to have. If you're based in the U.S. there are so many Hispanic fighters that speaking Spanish would set you apart from other applicants. If you're based in Europe, then speaking German would an advantage.

Comment

I think being a big of a hustler would come in handy here & not in the bad way. Just going to small local fights & trying to talk to the promoter & seeing if there is anything you can help with would be a great opportunity to learn. If you got some in or connection to a bigger name right off fair enough go that route, but I imagine most wouldn't & you probably got a better chance with a smaller time cat.

Comment

Have a knack for stealing from champions purses and waiting to sign a super fight until the fighters are long past their primes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bozbay View Post
          It's something I have always wanted to do. I am currently studying Social Marketing and Promotion to help me gain knowledge on that area before applying for a licence. I love boxing, but not too may people know a great lot on the business & contractual aspect of the sport, including myself. How can I get involved in boxing promotion before applying to become a promoter myself? Are there any internships, apprenticeships, anything of that sort? Or do I have to simply know the right the guy, and without the guy, I have no hope in hell?
          You want to get a promoter yourself? Good luck!
          If you want to be a promoter, you need to have some money in your bank account, which you can invest, many contacts to other promoters and managers, a good lawyer and as many sponsors as possible. If you are missing one of these things, stay away from promoting.
          If you want to get experience then ask a local promoter if you can help him or at least get a backstage view of how things are going.
          The best way of getting some experience in the field is always to know some fighters and maybe get involved with them. Getting in from the outside is always difficult and unless you are making everyone involved ridiculous money many people might choose not to work with you.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
            If I had know earlier that I had a knack for matchmaking, business and finance I would have tried to have become a promoter, manager or other boxing insider.

Anyway, I think you need to pursue a degree in business or law, for starters. To get your foot in the door, research the various promoters, promoting companies, matchmakers, etc. and reach out to them via phone call. A lot of boxing promoters have websites, so that would be an 'in' to explore. Do some research before you call, so that you have a good idea of how the business works and what to expect.

Also, speaking a second (or third) language would be an invaluable asset to have. If you're based in the U.S. there are so many Hispanic fighters that speaking Spanish would set you apart from other applicants. If you're based in Europe, then speaking German would an advantage.
            Hmmm you sound like a guy we've been looking for. PM me your CV/Resume.

Comment

Originally posted by Box-Office View Post
              Hmmm you sound like a guy we've been looking for. PM me your CV/Resume.
              I'm not a lawyer, I'm an accountant - and a pretty damn good one at that

Comment

The Big Dunn is the guy you need to speak to.

Comment

Originally posted by Hype job View Post
                  The Big Dunn is the guy you need to speak to.

Comment

good luck!

Comment

Working...
                    X