Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pacquaio days as an elite WW are over based off losses, choice of opp and new faces

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacquaio days as an elite WW are over based off losses, choice of opp and new faces

Manny Pacquaio is one of the greatest fighters of our era but their is beginning to be a change in the guard of the welterweight division

Welterweight is such a stacked division and filled with so many hungry fighters, I doubt Manny's body can take the punishment it will take to get into shape to beat those guys, even though he still possesses the know how and some of his explosiveness....he just isn't willing to take the shots necessary to defeat fighters who could possibly outbox him.

Manny made his bones at welterweight years ago against DLH in 08, Cotto and Clottey back in 2009-2010....but there has been a huge drop off in his level of opposition since 5 years ago.....in the past 5 years Manny has only defeated 2 top ten welterweights.....a 40 year old shane mosley who hadn't won a fight in 3 years and Tim Bradley who is good but hasn't done a lot at weltweight himself.

Getting kayoed in 2012, and fighting 2 no hopers in Rios and Algieri padded his record but neither were ranked weltweights......Bradley was at the time after beating Marquez, but what has Marquez done besides kayo Manny at 147?

After the loss to Mayweather, Manny is 3-3 in his last 6 fights.....he is still ranked highly but I don't think he deserves to be any higher than maybe 4 or 5

Manny is a great fighter, but add the fact that he is 36, and has a 6-12 months out because of his "injury", I think his days as an elite welterweight are over
    yes
    49.28%
    no
    36.23%
    he'll be back after a tune up or two then fight a top 10 guy
    10.14%
    i dont know
    4.35%

I'd still pick him over any other WW out there. You put Thurman in front of him and Thurman gets beaten up, same thing with Khan.

Comment

Meh. Who should he fight that can beat him? I'm fairly confident he steam rolls 95% of the division today.

Without trying to turn this into a May Pac **** fest...I would have loved to see how the Mayweather fight would have played out if they had traded.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
        I'd still pick him over any other WW out there. You put Thurman in front of him and Thurman gets beaten up, same thing with Khan.
        Manny of 5 years ago stops Thurman late....Today, I think he gets KTFO

Thurman is too young, strong, and hungry for Pac of 2015...Manny isn't willing to take a beating to give one and that was part of his mystique

Khan is chinny but he has the length, speed, and jab to frustrate Manny but that dang chin of Khan.....I'll give you Khan because he fights with his emotions and isn't disciplined all the time

Kell Brook would beat Manny IMO...His straight right is crisp, as is his jab and he has all the physical advantages outside of raw speed.....Again, how bad Brook wants the win makes me pick him....Manny hasn't looked hungry since he lost to Marquez

the rest like Maidana, Guerrero, Porter would be no cake walk either....I say anyone top 5 is even money with Pac...pick em type fights

Comment

Quit playing man. Pacquiao still beats everybody at 147 not named Mayweather and Thurman.

Comment

Manny Pacquiao beats any Welterweight no named Mayweather! Lets not get Crazy! It is Mayweather, Pacquiao and the rest of the Welterweights are still a few levels behind.

Comment

He's 3-3 in his past 6 fights (although 1 loss highly controversial).

When a fighter is that popular I guess it takes a few years for people to admit their dominant streak is already over.

Comment

Originally posted by SeekDaGreat View Post
                Meh. Who should he fight that can beat him? I'm fairly confident he steam rolls 95% of the division today.

Without trying to turn this into a May Pac **** fest...I would have loved to see how the Mayweather fight would have played out if they had traded.
                to be fair to the fighters ranked in the welterweight division today, he is living largely on old laurels while the young guys are fighting each other...

I think some places dropped Marquez out of their rankings so, Bradley is the only fighter on his record who is a top ten ww today

...Thurman foguth Guerrero, Brook fought Porter, Khan fought Alexander...Mayweather has fought Ortiz, Maidana(2x) and Guerrero...all young strong welterweights who were hungry and Manny was fighting Chris Algieri and Brandon Rios

I cant say he'd steamroll those guys when the only guys he has been fighting lately are guys moving up since he beat Cotto....Bradley just moved up in the first fight, JMM was never a great ww, Rios, and Algieri

All the guys you say he'd steamroll would most likely beat the guys he's been fighting lately

Comment

He's still elite. Him and Fkoyd beat anyone else at WW still. The gap between him and the others is closing a bit though

Comment

Didn't Khan just have a hard time with a guy Pac obliterated?

Comment

Working...
                    X