Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Floyd's Popularity a product of other stars? How will a LHW Floyd sell?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jai mari078 View Post
    If you look back the numbers may look similar from that point, the difference is Oscar could have fought a cab driver and it would sale
    , and much like Tiger Woods he would bring in the casual fan like only Mike Tyson could do.

The thing alot of people don't take into to consideration, is Floyd also has the advantage of social media that Oscar and Mike never had, to go with the inflation in PPV prices. There was a time ealry in Oscar and Mikes where fights were on close circuit and there was no PPV.
    That is a common erroneous misconception that i hear alot from people on boxing message boards. And it's simply not true.

When De La Hoya fought no-name opponents, as opposed to an opponent with a huge following (ex.Trinidad) or an opponent with a high amount of buzz & momentum behind them (ex. Mayweather, Mosley, Hopkins) De La Hoya would only avg around 200,000-300,000 buys per outing. Hell, he couldn't even hit a Million buys with Whitaker & Chavez in the Mid-90's. Both Mayweather & Pacquaio have long surpassed Oscar's avg drawing power.

And you mention that De La Hoya & Tyson didn't have the advent of social media to benefit them, but fail to acknowedge the huge cons of trying to SALE yourself in the modern era. Tyson & De La Hoya didn't have to deal with pirating, file sharing, YOUTUBE (where there fights are posted just minutes after concluding) live streams etc. and boxing was MUCH MUCH more mainstream and widely covered in the media than it is now.
    Last edited by ArtThouFurious?; 02-06-2013, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Javii86 View Post
      Oscar De La Hoya made the 140-154 weight division the most popular in the sport, and that's also due to the fact that the biggest weight classes haven't been the same in a long time. It's just perfect timing.
      This also happened in the early 80's with Leonard, Hearns, Hagler, Duran etc. as the public never took to Larry Holmes and Spinks had about as much charisma as cement.

Comment

Originally posted by Skittlez
        A lot of people say it's because of Floyd's self promotion/bad personality that makes people watch him.

I disagree. I think that obviously accounts for some of it, but it's mainly because there are a good handful of stars around his weight classes throughout the years which enhances his marketability.

Oscar/Pacquaio/JMM/Hatton/Cotto are all big reasons why his personality+being surrounded by other stars make him a superstar.

Say same Floyd/ same personality/ same skills.. but a career 175 LHW..

How will a LHW Floyd sell? He gonna break 2 million PPV Buys fighting Chad Dawson? Or 1.4 Million going against Travious Cloud?

He don't have to fight Pacquaio to become more popular. Throughout the years.. just the linking of those two names enhanced their marketability many times over.

The aura of a potential 'super fight' makes people watch both of them... They reaped off each other.

I honestly don't see how Floyd can sell in a dead division(star power wise) despite his magnetic demeanor.
        possibly but american fighters have low fan bases period outside of FMW..if these fighters descended from popular boxing countries they would have a following

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Floyd cant even fight a real strong opponent. Cherry picking duck coward. Moving up in weight is dumb thought.

Comment

If we're talking about a LHW Floyd, it's worth remembering what he did in his career earlier at Lightweight and Super Featherweight; namely, take on the best available fighters and fight far more offensively than he does now. That's what he's capable of and it's only in the latter part of his career, when he started getting 8 figure paydays, that fighting infrequently and conservatively became the norm.

8 figure paydays wouldn't be available so he'd have to fight more and be more entertaining, which he would and, I think, that's why I picked small impact.

Comment

Originally posted by The Smash View Post
              If we're talking about a LHW Floyd, it's worth remembering what he did in his career earlier at Lightweight and Super Featherweight; namely, take on the best available fighters and fight far more offensively than he does now. That's what he's capable of and it's only in the latter part of his career, when he started getting 8 figure paydays, that fighting infrequently and conservatively became the norm.

8 figure paydays wouldn't be available so he'd have to fight more and be more entertaining, which he would and, I think, that's why I picked small impact.
              If a LHW could fight like a small fighter with their combination of speed/power/explosiveness and overall ability, they'd be the G.O.A.T.

The thing is, at that weight, it's impossible.

EX. Floyd at LW vs. Floyd at WW/JMW.

Comment

If he linking of Mayweather-Pacquiao enhanced Mayweather's marketability, why did he sell 3.35Million PPV's on HBO with De La hoya and Hatton.

And if Floyd's popularity is mainly due to the "stars" around him, what happened to the other boxers? What are Cotto's PPV #'s without Mayweather/Pacquiao? Why did two prime popular WW's, Cotto vs Mosley, only do 250k PPV's? Why wasn't Cotto vs Trout on PPV?

What are Cotto's, Hatton's, Marquez's PPV numbers outside of their fights with Mayweather and Pacquiao? Did Oscar ever do anything anywhere near 2.4 before or after the Mayweather fight?

Comment

Originally posted by PAC-BOY View Post
                  Floyd cant even fight a real strong opponent. Cherry picking duck coward. Moving up in weight is dumb thought.
                  Please stop posting!

Comment

It's hard to say. Oscar obviously is the golden ticket... But dint underestimate the hate this dude has lol. When there's a big name or big personality, people try to find a challenger. Chad Dawson would have been seen as this modern day great in the making. Plus Dawson is kind of a funny guy, they'd have interviewed that guy all the time. Bernard would have fought Floyd no doubt. I dont think he'd have had the same kind of economic/viewing success, but I think he'd have been big. I think some of the good 168'ers would have moved up for him too making it very interesting. Maybe he'd get more credit at a bigger class... You never know. Id probably still dislike him. Lol

Comment

Working...
                    X