Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Episode No. 9 recap: "The Ultimate Fighter: U.S. vs. U.K.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Episode No. 9 recap: "The Ultimate Fighter: U.S. vs. U.K.

Episode No. 9 recap: "The Ultimate Fighter: U.S. vs. U.K."
    by John Morgan on May 27, 2009 at 10:50 pm ET

As Episode No. 9 of "The Ultimate Fighter: U.S. vs. U.K." opens, Team U.S. coach Dan Henderson shares with his squad the news that welterweight Jason Pierce has been pulled from the tournament. A replacement is necessary, and neither option is n optimum choice.

Mark Miller has a broken nose and has been unable to train, but he's still willing to take the fight. Frank Lester, missing teeth, bruised face and all, also wants a shot at redemption.

On the way home from the gym, Pierce recounts his version of why he wasn't cleared to fight. The team isn't buying it, and everyone believes he's simply scared to step into the cage.

Back at the gym, an emotional Lester receives word he's been cleared to fight. Miller has not, and the decision is made.

UFC President Dana White tells us he is impressed by Dent's determination and was more than happy to give him another chance.

As Lester starts to prepare for the fight, Henderson admits he's a bit concerned about his fighter's condition. Team U.S. welterweight and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) blogger DaMarques Johnson compares it to sending a pitbull into a fight with his teeth filed down. Pierce watches the preparations closely, and gives ironic words of encouragement.

Henderson then decides he'd like to take advantage of a previous arrangement and switch training times with Team U.K. When Henderson informs Team U.K. coach Michael Bisping of his intentions, the seemingly innocent request causes quite a stir.

The passive-aggressive exchange between Bisping and Henderson adds tension to their July bout, and the ensuing discussion leads to the moment we've all been waiting for: the Brit coach's squirting of Johnson with a water bottle.

Things get tense briefly, and Bisping immediately realizes he was in the wrong. Bisping apologizes to the rest of Team U.S., though Johnson isn't quite willing to hear it yet. Things settle down, but Johnson is obviously still upset. Despite the commotion, this week's fight between Lester and Team U.K. welterweight David Faulkner is officially announced.

Team U.K. is forced to switch training times per Henderson's request, and Faulkner starts to prepare for his showdown with Lester. Confident in his skills, Faulkner turns to a hypnotist to help him with his unfortunate gag reflex.

Lester is also facing a mental challenge as he readies himself. The reality of being brought back into the tournament after a loss has him emotional heading into the bout. Despite the challenges faced by both, the fight is on.

David Faulkner vs. Frank Lester

Both fighters start tentatively, and Faulkner scores with a few low kicks. As Henderson begs for Lester to jab, his fighter stays to far out of range to be successful. Faulkner finally closes the distance and clinches.

There's little action inside, and Faulkner breaks away. A few hands score from the outside before Faulkner scores a takedown and moves back into the clinch.

Faulkner again pushes away, though he looks to be tiring. Lester still appears hesitant, and Faulkner capitalizes on a few counter openings. It's a relatively slow round, but one which the Brit has obviously earned.

As the second round starts, Lester begins to move forward. Faulkner spits his mouthpiece out with no contact, but the bout is quickly restarted. The two again clinch, and there's little action. But after breaking, Lester comes alive.

A series of stiff punches find their mark, and knees up the middle land as well. The pace is again fairly slow, and much of the action is in the clinch, but Lester is earning the round.

With a minute remaining, Faulkner turns his back and walks away. His fatigue is evident. Lester is drained as well, and the action slows. Both throw punches as time expires, and it appears we're heading to a third round.

The scores are tabulated, and the "sudden victory" round is needed. With the gym erupting in anticipation of the final round, Faulkner quits on his stool. Even as his team lets him know he will regret the decision for the rest of his life, Faulkner bows out.

Faulkner tries to assure his team he enjoyed the fight and made the right decision. But his comments that he will probably be left to pursue a career in movies or pro wrestling are perhaps more telling than he would care to admit.

Bisping rallies his remaining four semifinalists and assures them they had better not go out the same way Faulkner did.

Lester, a man of few words, looks in obvious pain in the locker room. Both UFC President Dana White and Henderson profess their admiration for his performance.

The preview for next week's episode shows the semifinal matchups will be revealed, and welterweights will be on deck first with four Americans and four Brits left to fight.

WELTERWEIGHT ELIMINATION BOUT

* Frank Lester def. David Faulkner via TKO (exhaustion) - Round 2, 5:00
    Best fight of this season so far.........

wow dude, i feel so ashamed for Dave Faulkner. i dont think he will ever live that down. sudden vicoty round, and he quits, even his own teammate Bisping, called him a quitter.

I cound't belive it when he just quit, because he was tired. and after would he says, o i want to be a pro wrestler, y were you on the show then?

and then in the locker room he saying i enjoyed it do, and no one was even answering him, as eveyone knew he was a quitter!

i lost alot of respect for him, and i think everyone did!

good episode!

Comment

download it here

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...&postcount=257

Comment

The British dude has a serious gag reflex that is fukin him up mentaly. I think he was the better skilled fighter but ran out of gas. I don't know if it was because he was panicking because he couldn't breath or because he was just seriously gassed.

Either way the American dude fought hard and pulled out a tough fight. no diss to MMA fans but DAMN, these guys need to learn how to throw a punch!!!

I mean how many times does the American coach need to scream out "STRAIGHT PUNCHES!!!".......lol

If the dude just threw a straight jab and a straight right right behind it he would have KO'd the English dude. What's with all these wild haymakers in MMA? I even see them practicing it in my gym sometimes......don't get it.

Comment

i thought Frank was dick but i am very impressed

Comment

Everything that happened with Faulkner after he quit confused me until he said he's gonna be pursuing a wrestling or horror movie career. He just went on the the show to promote Dave Faulkner the actor. Pathetic.

Knowing this now i'm very glad Frank won that fight. That guy is all heart.

Comment

Originally posted by beecherhq View Post
              Everything that happened with Faulkner after he quit confused me until he said he's gonna be pursuing a wrestling or horror movie career. He just went on the the show to promote Dave Faulkner the actor. Pathetic.

Knowing this now i'm very glad Frank won that fight. That guy is all heart.
              Didn't he say something along the lines of "Well I enjoyed this experience and isn't that all that matters" His teammates were in shock when he said that.

Comment

Originally posted by DeafCon View Post
                Didn't he say something along the lines of "Well I enjoyed this experience and isn't that all that matters" His teammates were in shock when he said that.
                Yeah he kept saying "I enjoyed it though lads" thats what were confusing me.

Really looking forward to the semi finals now, especially seeing Ross fighting again, that **** is an animal.

Comment

Originally posted by beecherhq View Post
                  Yeah he kept saying "I enjoyed it though lads" thats what were confusing me.

Really looking forward to the semi finals now, especially seeing Ross fighting again, that **** is an animal.
                  Ross Pearson is my pick to win it. I don't see an American or Brit that could stop him. Ever since the first elimination bouts between the British fighters, he seemed like the sure win to me.

Comment

Originally posted by DeafCon View Post
                    Ross Pearson is my pick to win it. I don't see an American or Brit that could stop him. Ever since the first elimination bouts between the British fighters, he seemed like the sure win to me.
                    i think andre winner will win it, that dude is so big for 155, no one is stoppin him!

Comment

Working...
                    X