Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the greatest trainer of all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is the greatest trainer of all time?

There is alot of criteria in a great trainer. However who do you think has done the best with the fighters he was presented with?

i'd go with ray arcel,benny leonard and roberto duran.nuff said,cus is great too,he trained tyson,patterson and my cousin's uncle jose chegui torres.

Comment

Personally, I"m a fan of Teddy Atlas and Manny Steward. I actually finished reading Teddy Atlases autobiography and it was ****ing awesome. That dude does not **** around with his fighters but is very loyal and knows how to talk to the guys to get them to listen. That guy had an interesting life too. I recommend it to anyone who appreciates boxing.

Manny Steward, from the short time I've been following boxing, seems to turn every fighter he touches into gold. Whatever it is he's doing, he's doing it right. With the exception of Jermaine Taylor, he has had a pretty consistant winning streak, way more than I can say about Freddie Roach.

Comment

Angelo Dundee. Carmen Basillio, Muhammad Ali and Ray Leonard, turned George Foreman into a boxer, nuff said.

Comment

Don't know about the best but one of my favourites Eddie Futch has fantastic knowledge of the game and has masterminded some great wins.

Comment

Some of the great ones I can quickly remember:

Ray Arcel. Produced and/or worked with some 20 champions, among them, Ezzard Charles, Larry Holmes, Barney Ross, Tony Zale, Ceferino Garcia, Billy Soose, Tony Marino, Sixto Escobar...

Jack Blackburn. Trainer of Joe Louis, Sammy Mandel, Bud Taylor and, for a while, Jersey Joe Walcott...Louis gave all the credit to Blackburn for what he accomplished. They called each other, "Chappie".

Whitey Bimstein. Spent some fifty years of his life training such fighters as Harry Greb, Benny Leonard, Gene Tunney, Carlos Ortiz, Lou Ambers, Kid Kaplan, Fred Apostoli, Rocky Graciano, Bobo Olson... He was in the corner of JJBraddock when the "Cinderella Man" upset Max Baer. He partnered with Ray Arcel before WWII, then with Freddie Brown after the war. He was among the sport's great motivators. He pleaded, cajoled, sternly warned....He did whatever it took. He was not above slapping his fighter or pricking a needle into a fighter's backside, to achieve his purpose.

Angelo Dundee. He not only ranks as among the game's foremost motivators in the corner but is reputed to be among the sport's great innovators. He is widely acclaimed as a quick thinker. Had Ali, Leonard, Carmen Basilio, Jimmy Ellis, Willie Pastrano, Sugar Ramos...People remember his "You're blowing it, son" speech in Leonard's corner during the Leonard-Hearns welterweight unification match. Dundee was also in the corner of Foreman when Big George stopped Moorer.

Eddie Futch. Arcel's partner in training Holmes for the Cooney fight. He also worked with Joe Frazier, Bob Foster, Ken Norton, Michael Spinks, Arguello, RBowe, Virgil Hill, Wayne McCullough...

Georgie Benton. Learned his craft under Futch. Handled such fighters as Frazier, Leon Spinks (in particular, in that upset over Ali), MMcCallum, PWhitaker, Meldrick Taylor, Johnny Bumphus, Rocky Lockridge...

Mickey Duff. Worked in various capacities as promoter, manager, cornerman, etc. Involved in the careers of no less than a dozen champions such as Jim Watt, Minter, Conteh, Boza Edwards, Mugabi....
            Last edited by grayfist; 10-25-2007, 08:17 PM.

Comment

teddy atlas, mickey rooney

Comment

In no particular order...
                • Angelo Dundee
                • Cus D'Amato
                • Ray Arcel
                • Yank Durham
                • Eddie Futch
                • Manny Steward

Comment

Originally posted by grayfist View Post
                  Ray Arcel. Produced and/or worked with some 20 champions, among them, Ezzard Charles, Larry Holmes, Barney Ross, Tony Zale, Ceferino Garcia, Billy Soose, Tony Marino, Sixto Escobar...
                  You forgot (or neglected) to mention the two 800-lb. gorillas in the corner of the room: Benny Leonard and Roberto Duran, both of whom he trained 60 years apart!

Source:-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdCeA-FpdiI

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
                    You forgot (or neglected) to mention the two 800-lb. gorillas in the corner of the room: Benny Leonard and Roberto Duran, both of whom he trained 60 years apart!

Source:-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdCeA-FpdiI
                    Apologies to the two greats and to you!
                    Last edited by grayfist; 11-03-2007, 03:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X