No announcement yet.

Best 3 Year Period

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by revs1227 View Post
    how is pacquiao not mentioned in this thread he had by far the greatest run we will see in our lifetimes spanning across 7 or 8 weight divisions

Morales 3 times
    JMM 4 times
    Barrera 2 times
    Hatton
    DLH
    Cotto
    Marg
    Mosley
    Bradley 3 times (all wins)

lets be real here...we will Never see this type of run again in our lives
    Lol cmon man, read the title.

Also, pick a 3 year stretch and say why it was so impressive

Comment

Billy Conn, Dec 1936 - Dec 1939

W - Fritzie Zivic (Future WW Champion, HoFer)
      W - Babe Risko (Former MW Champion)
      W - Vince Dundee (Former MW Champion)
      W - Oscar Rankins (MW Contender)
      W - Teddy Yarosz (Former MW Champion, HoFer)
      L - Young Corbett III (Former WW Champion, Current MW Contender, HoFer)
      W - Teddy Yarosz
      W - Young Corbett III
      L - Solly Kreiger (Future NBA MW Champion (Not Lineal iirc))
      W - Eric Seelig (MW Contender)
      L - Teddy Yarosz
      W - Solly Kreiger (Current NBA Champion)
      W - Fred Apostoli (Current NYSAC MW Champ (Lineal), non title bout held above MW limit, HoFer)
      W - Fred Apostoli (as above)
      W - Solly Kreiger
      W - Melio Bettina (LHW Contender, vacant NYSAC/NBA LHW Belts (new lineage))
      W - Gus Dorazio (LHW Contender)
      W - Melio Bettina
      W - Gus Lesnovic (Future LHW Champion)

How about that then?

Aside from getting several more wins at LHW and just above he went on to have his most famous moment vs Joe Louis, outboxing the HW great for 13 rounds before getting over confident and being KO'd. He would also beat MW Champion Tony Zale at LHW after losing to Louis I and before getting knocked out by Joe a second time.

Edit: Actually got that wrong with Kreiger (NBA MW) and Apostoli (NYSAC MW). Kreiger was actually lineal in terms of the title, but Apostoli was more 'legitimate' as he had beaten the lineal champ in a non title 10 rounder and then been ducked for a title bout.
      Last edited by Tom Cruise; 12-06-2017, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Mike Tyson , it was already stated why . He demolished and ruined careers in an entire era in that short time span and was still improving before 1989 rolled around .

Comment

In the modern era Felix Trinidad had a great run from February 1999 until September of 2001

Pernell Whitaker (handed him his first real loss)

Hugo Pineda (solid mando)

Oscar De La Hoya (super fight unification)

David Reid (undefeated champ)

Mamadou Thiam (solid mando)

Fernando Vargas (undefeated champ unification super fight)

William Joppy (WBA middleweight champion)

Bernard Hopkins (all-time great for all the marbles)

No fluff. No stalling out. Always the best option and opponent available. Three gold medalists defeated, two unification bouts won and a combined record of 245-7-4

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
            In the modern era Felix Trinidad had a great run from February 1999 until September of 2001

Pernell Whitaker (handed him his first real loss)

Hugo Pineda (solid mando)

Oscar De La Hoya (super fight unification)

David Reid (undefeated champ)

Mamadou Thiam (solid mando)

Fernando Vargas (undefeated champ unification super fight)

William Joppy (WBA middleweight champion)

Bernard Hopkins (all-time great for all the marbles)

No fluff. No stalling out. Always the best option and opponent available. Three gold medalists defeated, two unification bouts won and a combined record of 245-7-4
            He lost to Dela Hoya and Bernard Hopkins though, Pernell Whitaker was on coke and was way past it, but it's still not a bad win, but I don't think that run is on the level of the ones the TS mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Dip_Slide View Post
              He lost to Dela Hoya and Bernard Hopkins though, Pernell Whitaker was on coke and was way past it, but it's still not a bad win, but I don't think that run is on the level of the ones the TS mentioned.
              Subjective. The De La Hoya fight was about even in rounds (I had it 114-114) and a case can be made for either guy a point either way.

I'd say it's one of the better runs of the last 20 years no doubt. With the exception of two solid mando opponents every opponent was deemed a very good one coming in.

Comment

Originally posted by Dip_Slide View Post
                Exactly. That Tito run is almost mediocre compared to the 3 year periods already mentioned, without a single proper iconic win.

Whitaker? Shot

DLH? very very atguable

Hopkins? lost

I dunno if anyone has mentioned Roberto Duran so far but from his big year of 1980 to 1983 he fought 12 times, going 8(4)-4(1), beating Leonard, then losing and having a torrid time, before coming back and winning a light middle title, while only 5'6'' and nowhere near his peak. He also too Hagler the distance.

Comment

Subjective. The De La Hoya fight was about even in rounds (I had it 114-114) and a case can be made for either guy a point either way.

I'd say it's one of the better runs of the last 20 years no doubt. With the exception of two solid mando opponents every opponent was deemed a very good one coming in.
                  Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                  Exactly. That Tito run is almost mediocre compared to the 3 year periods already mentioned, without a single proper iconic win.

Whitaker? Shot

DLH? very very atguable

Hopkins? lost

I dunno if anyone has mentioned Roberto Duran so far but from his big year of 1980 to 1983 he fought 12 times, going 8(4)-4(1), beating Leonard, then losing and having a torrid time, before coming back and winning a light middle title, while only 5'6'' and nowhere near his peak. He also too Hagler the distance.
                  The Vargas win was iconic. Vargas at that time was highly regarded and a very good champion. Tito ruined him and just because he didn't pan out to be an all-time great doesn't mean the win isn't big. Tito beat the fight out of him.

FYI I'm not saying it was better than MAB's run, but also you must note that Tapia was shot as was Kelley (woefully shot actually)

Comment

of the current fighter wilder had a fantastic run from 2015 january to 2017 December.

Stiverne, Molina, Duhaupas, Szpilka, Arreola, Washington and Stiverne again!

Comment

The Vargas win was iconic. Vargas at that time was highly regarded and a very good champion. Tito ruined him and just because he didn't pan out to be an all-time great doesn't mean the win isn't big. Tito beat the fight out of him.

FYI I'm not saying it was better than MAB's run, but also you must note that Tapia was shot as was Kelley (woefully shot actually)
                      Vargas wasn't all that let's not be silly lol

But regardless the issue is it's not a great 3 year run when we take into account what mab, Morales, pac, Holyfield and Co have done in the last 30 years

Comment

Working...
                      X