No announcement yet.

dancing and boxing footwork?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dancing and boxing footwork?

Do you think being a good dancer helps with footwork in boxing or are the two mutually exclusive? I know Ali and Ray Leonard danced and they had some of the best footwork around.

I think the only way it helps is you being light on your feet. Not 100% sure though

Comment

Originally posted by DeLaHoya1fan View Post
      Do you think being a good dancer helps with footwork in boxing or are the two mutually exclusive? I know Ali and Ray Leonard danced and they had some of the best footwork around.
      I guess it does help in terms of conditioning definitely. I attended ballet, classical dancing, so I can say from experience the higher you go there the more are physical requirements, like boxing to some sense. However, the technique is definitely different overall, the whole purpose of boxing and dancing "footwork" is just 100% different. I guess dancing can help to get relaxed after hard training.

Comment

It depends on the style of dance but generally, dancing is actually great for boxing/fighting.

Even though the movements and techniques mostly are different, it helps with footwork and coordination, which translates to things like technique and movement.

Generally, if you can coordinate your body to dance well you should be able to coordinate your body to throw punches and avoid them VERY well.

A lotta dancers probably wouldn't be so soft and b-tchmade as f-ck if they actually knew how hand in hand fighting and dancing go

Comment

Originally posted by HtotheZ View Post
          It depends on the style of dance but generally, dancing is actually great for boxing/fighting.

Even though the movements and techniques mostly are different, it helps with footwork and coordination, which translates to things like technique and movement.

Generally, if you can coordinate your body to dance well you should be able to coordinate your body to throw punches and avoid them VERY well.

A lotta dancers probably wouldn't be so soft and b-tchmade as f-ck if they actually knew how hand in hand fighting and dancing go
          All of this...

Comment

you can tell a guy would be a pretty good dancer from his footwork. plodders cant get the rhythm

Comment

Nobody has better footwork then Derrick Rose

Comment

i guess, if this dance of yours uses alot of explosive footwork, and i guess it could have a similar effect as running if you're constantly bouncing

personally, i think it is useless, just jog, sprint, bounce and jump and ofcourse work on footwork skills like rapid placement, turning etc

Comment

The cooridination and conditioning are the big contributors. I don't think the two are mutally inclusive, but I believe there is a decent amount of crossover. Kind of like running track and being a running back or wide reciever, it definately helps, but being great at track wouldn't necessarily mean you'll run good routes or break tackles.

Comment

But if you're asking if you should sign up for dance... Yes, as long as it doesn't take time away from the Gym.... plus you'll meet a lot of hot chicks who'll think you're tough and sensitive....

Comment

Working...
                    X